Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Fawrules

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by Fawrules »

monster mafia wrote:so ach said this tonight on the aaw show

"Im committed to my wife, but I don't think my wife appreciates me like you guys do"

"Lots of other marriage puns, but ends with "I'll soon be divorced. And I love you!"
Someone's gonna have to provide some better context on this. Not saying people aren't unhappy and aren't going to leave, but that comment doesn't automatically scream "I'm leaving ROH" to me like people are saying.

Either way, sad to think that with all the turmoil between the two companies, TNA will likely outlive ROH. Even if they are taping 6 months of TV for public access in front of 300 non-paying tourists.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

So basically, his "wife" is ROH?

If he's leaving, then that gives more room for high flying guys like Jason Kincaid or Lio Rush. So that's fine.

I have no idea why someone like Rush would be upset with ROH, though. That part confuses me. He's new. Does he want a world title push right away? ACH, sure, he's popular, puts on good matches, and has been around 5 years. Frankly, he's earned a big push. But I don't see why Lio Rush would be upset about not getting one, especially so soon in his career.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

TYFDK wrote:So basically, his "wife" is ROH?

If he's leaving, then that gives more room for high flying guys like Jason Kincaid or Lio Rush. So that's fine.

I have no idea why someone like Rush would be upset with ROH, though. That part confuses me. He's new. Does he want a world title push right away? ACH, sure, he's popular, puts on good matches, and has been around 5 years. Frankly, he's earned a big push. But I don't see why Lio Rush would be upset about not getting one, especially so soon in his career.

im agree i dont think he is angry..is just a rumour

for the ach part, have to wonder why they bothered signing ACH to an exclusive deal last year. Easily the least pushed guy
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

ACH is booked for the Super Junior Tag Tournament, teaming again with Taiji Ishimori.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Kyle looked stellar at King of Pro Wrestling. The contrast between Kyle in New Japan and him in ROH is quite stark. Even though NJPW creates a different tone that can especially highlight Kyle’s strengths, ROH should have given him a better booking trajectory this year. (Not a new idea there.) Hindsight and all that, his year-long positioning as underdog was not smart.

If he resigns with ROH, at least the company can piggyback off his success in New Japan, just as they do with PWG talent.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

I've seen some suggestions that the recent issues with the likes ACH, Cedric Alexander, and (apparently) Lio Rush has to do with racism within the company (not sure if it's ROH or more SBG, which is a "right-leaning" company).
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

From Alexander, ACH, and Rush themselves? I don’t want to diminish anyone’s perspective on this, but Jay Lethal was just the ROH World Champion. In terms of representation, ROH proportionally employs more Black people than almost all major organizations.

I mean, I can certainly envision racism (and I assume it would be complex) being borne in the spectrum of pro wrestling and massive conglomerates, but I would like to have some first-hand accounts before any sort of conclusion is reached.
FanSinceHDNet

Post by FanSinceHDNet »

Wilson wrote:From Alexander, ACH, and Rush themselves? I don’t want to diminish anyone’s perspective on this, but Jay Lethal was just the ROH World Champion. In terms of representation, ROH proportionally employs more Black people than almost all major organizations.

I mean, I can certainly envision racism (and I assume it would be complex) being borne in the spectrum of pro wrestling and massive conglomerates, but I would like to have some first-hand accounts before any sort of conclusion is reached.
I came in to say this, as well. In the SBG era, ROH proportionally has likely had the highest amount of black stars and featured a black star as a champion of some sort for two straight years. Not saying there is or isn't racism but there certainly appears to be little from the surface and relative track record.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

I can certainly see a slight right wing sided idea of wrestling from ROH since Sinclair took over although this has diminished although I can see why some will see it constantly in ROH's booking (it doesn't make sense to me but I can see how people can see it) but wether this attitude escalates to African Americans being persecuted or minimised in pay or TV time/Push and facing general racism on a daily basis I have no idea. All I can say is I hope not because it would certainly affect my passion for the product and I would certainly leave the product alone until these issues were sorted out.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

So Jay Lethal is now in the Main Event of NJPW Power Struggle on November 5th, where he'll be challenging Tetsuya Naito for the IWGP Intercontinental Title. He's replacing Michael Elgin, who's out of action with an orbital bone injury.

Since that show is on November 5th, I assume this means that he's off Survival of the Fittest, which is on November 3rd & 4th.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:So Jay Lethal is now in the Main Event of NJPW Power Struggle on November 5th, where he'll be challenging Tetsuya Naito for the IWGP Intercontinental Title. He's replacing Michael Elgin, who's out of action with an orbital bone injury.

Since that show is on November 5th, I assume this means that he's off Survival of the Fittest, which is on November 3rd & 4th.
That’s a bummer for both companies. Lethal is plainly not over in New Japan yet and it could really affect the way ROH originally intended to book Survival of the Fittest. I also wonder how this might influence Final Battle, as it seemed rather probable that Lethal would be challenging Naito for the Intercontinental Title there.

Still—what a big gamble on Lethal. There could be a lot at stake for that match. One might say that the entire dynamic of the ROH/NJPW relationship might shift if he doesn’t highly perform.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Hey, just means an opportunity for someone new to come in.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

TYFDK wrote:Hey, just means an opportunity for someone new to come in.
It’s an opportunity to rise or decline on the occasion.

There has not yet been a heavyweight main event match that featured an ROH star, so it is a bit of a leap to host this match on a major event rather than a house show. The armature of the draw is to promote LIJ members in title matches, which should help the show reach a normal gate for a Power Struggle event. Unless things go very wrong, Lethal replacing Elgin shouldn’t hurt too much.

I also tend to think that the two will at least have a pretty good match and that Lethal will look closer to a star than he has in the past there—he simply must when accounting the non-reaction those previous matches garnered. However, should Lethal and Naito not win the audience over, it could really retrograde the relation of the two companies. Should it succeed, we could more main events featuring major ROH players and a continuum of storylines between the two companies, which would really help ROH PPVs. I think it’s fair to say that the delivery and reception of this match will implicate the interdependent shape of both promotions in 2017.
HonorLives

Post by HonorLives »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:I've seen some suggestions that the recent issues with the likes ACH, Cedric Alexander, and (apparently) Lio Rush has to do with racism within the company (not sure if it's ROH or more SBG, which is a "right-leaning" company).
Jay Lethal's run, anybody?

Alexander was lazy (in hindsight, look at the way he looks now and compare to the way he looked like in ROH) and didn't connect with the fans. I love ACH and he should receive a bigger push, but maybe he's too annoying backstage so who knows. And I don't get why people say ROH is wasting Rush to be honet.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

HonorLives wrote:
DXvsNWO1994 wrote:I've seen some suggestions that the recent issues with the likes ACH, Cedric Alexander, and (apparently) Lio Rush has to do with racism within the company (not sure if it's ROH or more SBG, which is a "right-leaning" company).
Jay Lethal's run, anybody?

Alexander was lazy (in hindsight, look at the way he looks now and compare to the way he looked like in ROH) and didn't connect with the fans. I love ACH and he should receive a bigger push, but maybe he's too annoying backstage so who knows. And I don't get why people say ROH is wasting Rush to be honet.
Because he won the Top Prospect Tournament, lost a throw-away title shot, and then spend the past six months doing absolutely nothing.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Fawrules wrote:[
Either way, sad to think that with all the turmoil between the two companies, TNA will likely outlive ROH. Even if they are taping 6 months of TV for public access in front of 300 non-paying tourists.
I'm a little late here, but I can't believe nobody has addressed the utter insanity contained in this post.

TNA:
-has been kicked off two cable networks in two years (relevant because TNA only airs on one US network at a time, unlike ROH's syndication model)
-is being sued by its own President
-is being sued by a former production company partner
-is being sued by Eric Bischoff
-owes significant back taxes to the state of Tennessee
-owes money to Billy Corgan
-owes money to Fight Network and its parent companies
-owes money to Aroluxe
-almost had to have last night's episode of Impact pulled because they didn't have the proper licensing for all of the entrance themes. instead they just edited the themes out and pumped in fake crowd noise.
-no longer tours
-no longer runs house shows
-doesn't charge for tickets at the Impact Zone
-is down to two live PPV events per year

While ROH:
-is drawing roughly 2-3 times the number of fans it was drawing 3 years ago
-has working agreements with NJPW, the second largest company in the world, and CMLL, the oldest company in the world
-will have run shows in the US, Canada, the UK, and Japan in 2016
-is running more shows per year than ever before
-has expanded the reach of its TV program greatly in the last few years (Comet TV, Fite TV app, Fight Network, NESN, new Sinclair stations, etc)
-actually charges for tickets
-actually tours
-is running more live PPVs/iPPVs than ever before
-recently started running cable/satellite PPVs in addition to iPPVs
-runs dozens of VOD shows
-sells almost every single non-TV taping show on DVD
-has a functioning (if lacking) paid subscription service
-is owned by a billion dollar broadcasting company that is in need of original content for the TV stations it owns

I know ROH is a bit on the cold side this year but only a fool would think the company is in any sort of real trouble. The booking hasn't been fantastic of late and a lot of talent is jumping to WWE, but to even begin to compare them with the gong show that is TNA management is absurd.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

famicommander wrote:
I'm a little late here, but I can't believe nobody has addressed the utter insanity contained in this post.

TNA:
-has been kicked off two cable networks in two years (relevant because TNA only airs on one US network at a time, unlike ROH's syndication model)
-is being sued by its own President
-is being sued by a former production company partner
-is being sued by Eric Bischoff
-owes significant back taxes to the state of Tennessee
-owes money to Billy Corgan
-owes money to Fight Network and its parent companies
-owes money to Aroluxe
-almost had to have last night's episode of Impact pulled because they didn't have the proper licensing for all of the entrance themes. instead they just edited the themes out and pumped in fake crowd noise.
-no longer tours
-no longer runs house shows
-doesn't charge for tickets at the Impact Zone
-is down to two live PPV events per year

While ROH:
-is drawing roughly 2-3 times the number of fans it was drawing 3 years ago
-has working agreements with NJPW, the second largest company in the world, and CMLL, the oldest company in the world
-will have run shows in the US, Canada, the UK, and Japan in 2016
-is running more shows per year than ever before
-has expanded the reach of its TV program greatly in the last few years (Comet TV, Fite TV app, Fight Network, NESN, new Sinclair stations, etc)
-actually charges for tickets
-actually tours
-is running more live PPVs/iPPVs than ever before
-recently started running cable/satellite PPVs in addition to iPPVs
-runs dozens of VOD shows
-sells almost every single non-TV taping show on DVD
-has a functioning (if lacking) paid subscription service
-is owned by a billion dollar broadcasting company that is in need of original content for the TV stations it owns

I know ROH is a bit on the cold side this year but only a fool would think the company is in any sort of real trouble. The booking hasn't been fantastic of late and a lot of talent is jumping to WWE, but to even begin to compare them with the gong show that is TNA management is absurd.

Famicommander , that is the best post ever on ROH World. You are spot on about everything.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

famicommander wrote:
It was shitting on ROH. It's the smark thing to do so of course it wasn't commented on. Now had it been somehow supportive of ROH, then you'd have gotten the, 'No, everything is shitty in ROH' round of comments. Again, because it's the smark thing to do.
christopherclinton55

Post by christopherclinton55 »

I feel bad for Lethal he in a tough position. I don't think he's not going to get over with the crowd no matter what he does but I hope he can over deliver in the ring at power struggle
Fawrules

Post by Fawrules »

I can't believe anyone could of possibly taken it as me defending TNA... Just more a reference to the fact that being the cockroach of a company that is is, TNA usually finds a way to waste enough money to delay their impending doom for another year or so.