Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
project161

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by project161 »

It is a shame with ACH. He is super talented and one of my favorites to watch in ROH. He was pretty much a given to be the new TV Champion this time two years ago, then the travel issues happened, and it was over. (Crazy to consider how things may have turned out still knowing that Jay/Jay would take place later on and ROH sort of stumbled into it following that and the Elgin debacle.)

Ever since, the only thing ACH has seemingly had his eye on is the ceiling due to getting pinned so often. Either just let him go to do something else or book him well.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

project161 wrote:It is a shame with ACH. He is super talented and one of my favorites to watch in ROH. He was pretty much a given to be the new TV Champion this time two years ago, then the travel issues happened, and it was over. (Crazy to consider how things may have turned out still knowing that Jay/Jay would take place later on and ROH sort of stumbled into it following that and the Elgin debacle.)

Ever since, the only thing ACH has seemingly had his eye on is the ceiling due to getting pinned so often. Either just let him go to do something else or book him well.
It's interesting to note that the first time Lethal claimed that the TV Title was the top belt in ROH was at the Michael Bennett's Bachelor Party show, which was the first show after both of those changes in the direction of the titles were made.
Big Red Machine

project161 wrote:Assuming Kyle does end up taking the belt from Cole, who do people want to take the world title following him? Or generally speaking, who are people that you want to see as world champion in ROH at all?

Not that I want to see him win it from Kyle, but I still would like to see Christopher Daniels get one run with the world title before he eventually retires. He only needs that belt to be called a triple crown champion in ROH and when he is booked in a singles position, I feel he can still deliver but it does not happen nearly enough (especially on showcased cards vs. house shows) for people to see that. Plus, I feel that he is the type of talent who can get a newer face over if given the proper platform.
It depend what the landscape will look like, but I think Shelley would be a good choice. I agree with you about Daniels, too. I'm amazed they didn't build a show around Daniels challenging for the title at all during his babyface run in 2014.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

I don't know if Shelley or Daniels can do big singles matches anymore. And I like those guys a lot.

It would probably be really difficult to sort out, but making a New Japan pilgrim, or top junior, the ROH Champion would be exciting. Though I don't know how much business sense it makes for ROH to invest in a talent that they will imminently have to divest from. It's a very Sapolsky idea.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Back then, it worked. They had taped PPV's, but shows were still 2-4 a month. When you have a weekly television show and more shows on a monthly basis, you need your world champion around as much as possible. At least in my eyes.
project161

Post by project161 »

With Shelley, I feel he is sort of physically broken. He has had a lot of injuries in his time between leaving TNA and present day. I was all for him winning the world title many years back, but ROH also does not give him much of a platform to showcase his once very strong personality on screen. Sabin at least is seemingly starting to return to form based on a few recent performances of his I have seen, particularly the one on the most recent Baltimore VOD from July.

With Daniels, I have more faith in that regard although the clock is ticking on a proper time to really pull the trigger with him if they were to ever do so.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

So this sign was in the front row at RAW tonight....
@totaldivaseps 8m8 minutes ago
#HireLethal #RAW
project161

Post by project161 »

They likely will in about five-six months when his deal with ROH is up.
isles11

Post by isles11 »

Would I be alone in thinking that Fish is a better wrestler than O'Rielley?

They're like the Am. Wolves in that regard, Eddie was the better wrestler, but Davey was the better striker(except for chops).

Same with reDRagon. Fish is the better wrestler, Kyle is the better striker, the one who's more likely to knock someone out.
Big Red Machine

Morishima actually didn't miss that many shows. He missed the four shows in March, the show in Osaka, and the two RTTT shows. That's only seven shows out of twenty-seven (and the Osaka show was probably because of DG vs. NOAH politics, as he worked the ROH show with the NOAH guys on it the night before in Tokyo). Yeah, so I guess that's about a quarter of the shows, but the trick would be to book the TV tapings and PPVs around his schedule, and if he misses some weekends of non-televised shows then oh well. Lethal, reDRagon, and the Bucks do that, too. To do that, ROH would need New Japan to guarantee the dates on whoever the champion would be, and I don't think there is anyone ROH would want to put the belt on who New Japan would be willing to let if there was a conflict between one of their big shows and ROH's.

Gabe also deserves a lot of credit for finding ways to distract from Morishima's absence on the weekends he missed. There were two UK shows, which had Joe's farewell and the Nigel-Rave blow-off (and were both fantastic shows). The weekend after that was WrestleMania weekend so we got the DG guys in, plus we had the Jacobs-Whitmer blow-off, returns by Cornette and MCMG, and Roddy's first singles matches against his former Gen. Next comrades after he turned on them. The only other weekend Morishima missed Gabe essentially made his absence irrelevant by building the entire weekend around a tournament to determine a #1 contender.
project161

Post by project161 »

Fish is a bit hit and miss for me sometimes depending on his opponent. I think he has more to offer in personality than Kyle by about 100x, but his in-ring work doesn't resonate with fans in the same way as Kyle's does, but that's just my opinion. It also comes down to as well that Kyle, as a long-term talent, has a lot more mileage to get out of going forward as Fish is about to be 40 years old while Kyle is 30 in March. I do feel that Kyle is missing a lot of that connection that talents like Tyler, Davey, Steen, even Elgin for a while had before they would all win the title. I'm not entirely sure how to get him to that point as he has been booked in a slow burn manner where people seem to acknowledge him as a good wrestler, but I do not feel that people are clamoring for him to be champion. I say this as a fan of his of course.
Mike Adamle

Post by Mike Adamle »

Spoiler: show
Congrats Steen, you deserve it
BlackLesnar wrote:Seriously though, I completely agree with Mike.
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
Mike Adamle wrote:Should've named this show "Masters of the Roll Up"
This is the best post ever by Adamle. I laughed my ass off at this.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

I think Fish certainly is much better on the mic but his body just doesn't have it to really push his matches or back up the intensity he gets from his personality and promo's which is really shame as if Fish had gotten to this point when he was 30 thirty the guy would be amazing.

Kyle for me is just an amazingly talented wrestler, I personally think he can wrestle any style much, and that's so important for a champion, he def needs to be pushed as the big baby face of the company which is going to need work but it has started and it needs to be perfect booking from now.

I do find it funny how people can champion a NJPW ROH champion but yet are critical of how NJPW go over so often, if ROH is going to mean anything it has to stay away from doing anything like that again.
WHG

Post by WHG »

For me, the legacy of the ROH title is that it should generally be put on a young up and coming talent that has some buzz and is in the conversation for the best wrestler in the world. They've mis-timed most of the last few years' runs, including O'Reilly. Elgin is another example of waiting too long.

I'm fine with sprinkling in a veteran transition run, but you have to have a young guy ready to take over going into it.

The tricky thing with the roster now is I don't see an obvious candidate beyond O'Reilly.

Assuming they can lock him up for a while, I actually think Marty Scurll would be a good choice, especially since it would leverage the current perception of the U.K. scene. On that note, my first choice would actually be to throw money at ZSJ to come in for a year and keep the title on him the whole time.

Another dark horse idea would be Jay White.
Saxton_fan

Post by Saxton_fan »

Who is left in ROH to build the company around? They are using Indy hot a shot guys that are not signed to a deal. They are putting NJPW over like crazy. Fish is Ok, Cole will be in WWE when his deal is up. Who Is left? Jay White is sent out by NJPW to get experience correct? they have waited to long for O'reilly . Also it seems once guys get the belt they hold it way to long and people lose interest ex. Davey/ Elgin/ lethal.
Dijak might be a guy to sign to an exclusive deal and have him run with the belt, but not for too long!
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

The issue with O'Reilly is that there never was a time that felt right for him to become the champion.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
AssShooter

Post by AssShooter »

monster mafia wrote:
TYFDK wrote:Wonder what the new title could be for. Women of Honor? Top Prospects? Pure Title return?
he first says new championships,after that is only one.

i think that is gonna be the womens tittle.
They could create a trio championship, they won't have too much effort to make it more important than the NJPW one.
ImageImage
Big Red Machine

project161 wrote:They likely will in about five-six months when his deal with ROH is up.
I'd be quite surprised if they did, only because I can see them still feeling that Lethal has the TNA stink on him, and with all of the guys they already have, I don't think they really need him.
christopherclinton55

Post by christopherclinton55 »

Big Red Machine wrote:
project161 wrote:They likely will in about five-six months when his deal with ROH is up.
I'd be quite surprised if they did, only because I can see them still feeling that Lethal has the TNA stink on him, and with all of the guys they already have, I don't think they really need him.
Ric Flair has stated on his podcast that hunter has been eyeing Lethal for a while and also if he doesn't go to wwe I hope to see him sign with Evolve or even TNA
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

Why would Lethal sign with EVOLVE? How would that possibly be a good career move rather than staying in ROH if a WWE move didn't materialize once his contract expires? I don't think he's that stupid.