Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
monster mafia

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by monster mafia »

i read that matt riddle went to the roh tryout camps? is that true?

riddle in roh could have been awesome
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

hey delirious..

dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

monster mafia wrote:i read that matt riddle went to the roh tryout camps? is that true?

Terry Funk ain't wear no mouthpiece!
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

monster mafia wrote:hey delirious..

A guy that got a push but couldn't get over-- in-between injuring talent, and a guy that wanted out and journeymanned it everywhere until he got one of the now many contracts the E is handing out in their expansion.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

I won't deny Cedric is to blame for a lot of his ROH failings but man is it still kind of a bad look to see him putting out amazing performances (if the reports of his CWC match with Ibushi are accurate) mere months after leaving ROH.

Not saying it's fair but it is something to be pointed out.
FanSinceHDNet

Post by FanSinceHDNet »

monster mafia wrote:i read that matt riddle went to the roh tryout camps? is that true?

If I remember correctly from an interview, he was advised to learn the basics first and went to the Monster Factory but there was interest.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

JTCole wrote:I won't deny Cedric is to blame for a lot of his ROH failings but man is it still kind of a bad look to see him putting out amazing performances (if the reports of his CWC match with Ibushi are accurate) mere months after leaving ROH.

Not saying it's fair but it is something to be pointed out.
Actually I always liked Cedric, his PWX work is outstanding as well, and aside from the sudden rash of injuries to his opponents never was down on him like so many others (see many posts on this board regarding Cedric :) ). But I also saw the audience not reacting to him no matter how good the match. Parting ways was the best for both sides.

And unless a participant is braindead or horribly injured, all the guys in the CWC better be killing themselves in matches because this is their one best chance to get noticed and in the E. You can take nights off somewhere else, like all wrestlers do to some degree on other random cards in random shows, but not there. So yes, I would expect everyone to have the match of their lives in the CWCs Cedric included.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Fawrules

Post by Fawrules »

The damned if you do, damned if you don't nature of this board: Back when ROH was actually giving Cedric and Ciampa a push, a handful of people on this board were proclaiming to anyone that would listen about how the two of them weren't actually that good.
FanSinceHDNet

Post by FanSinceHDNet »

monster mafia wrote:2016

I really... like this? Could you imagine them as heels with Cornette back?
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

GardenStateSaint wrote:
Memphis Mark wrote:Attendance will start falling in the core markets due to poor booking. There are no compelling story lines in ROH . The main story is that Adam Cole and his gang want Jay's Lethal belt. That about it. ROH needs to wrap up the Lethal/ Cole saga and bring in a new booker. A reboot of the promotion is in order . Nothing against Delirious , but bookers run their course and get burned out.
And who steps in?
We'd have to be backstage in order to know who has a good reputation for ideas. Based on what I've heard them say in shoot interviews, I'd like to either see Daniels get a shot or let Pearce have another chance.
Luring Rob Naylor away from WWN might be worth trying as well.
Big Red Machine

FanSinceHDNet wrote:
monster mafia wrote:2016

I really... like this? Could you imagine them as heels with Cornette back?
PLEASE let this happen!
Big Red Machine

Fawrules wrote:

The damned if you do, damned if you don't nature of this board: Back when ROH was actually giving Cedric and Ciampa a push, a handful of people on this board were proclaiming to anyone that would listen about how the two of them weren't actually that good.
To be fair... Ciampa really isn't very good.
Big Red Machine

Here's a question that might sound kind of mean but... does ROH really NEED a relationship with CMLL? We've already got New Japan guys coming in all the time (and mostly getting the way of product), and aside from Caristico, who do they have that might possibly even be a draw? Don't get me wrong: I like Dragon Lee, Volador Jr., and Barbaro Cavernario, but I don't seem them really drawing anyone who wouldn't otherwise come to the show? Maybe Dragon Lee would in certain match-ups, but that's really about it.
dark patriot

Post by dark patriot »

thought about going to the Delirious/Riddle MFPW show as it also had Dijak and Mikey Webb tagging on it but it was too far a drive.

i really enjoyed Ciampa vs. Cedric last night. Tomasso has been killing everywhere he goes and seems to be really enjoying himself since he left ROH. yeah i think Delirious missed the boat with him but he also has upped his game in the ring lately as well.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Big Red Machine wrote:Here's a question that might sound kind of mean but... does ROH really NEED a relationship with CMLL? We've already got New Japan guys coming in all the time (and mostly getting the way of product), and aside from Caristico, who do they have that might possibly even be a draw? Don't get me wrong: I like Dragon Lee, Volador Jr., and Barbaro Cavernario, but I don't seem them really drawing anyone who wouldn't otherwise come to the show? Maybe Dragon Lee would in certain match-ups, but that's really about it.
I think it's really about NJPW trying to create a trifecta of promotions to help against the growing arm of the WWE. NJPW realises they need to grow and look outside the wrestling world of Japan and they are using both ROH and CMLL to do this. I'm sure both companies are fully aware and are trying to get the best deal they can, but obviously with ROH being the pup and runt of that litter, there certainly isn't much leverage but hopefully that will come with experience and for thought. Even CMLL can't necessarily be that strong as I believe Elgin just one a big CMLL title, so it's about give and take and in the end hopefully all three promotions will be stronger for the relationship and if CMLL and ROH build a strong foundation, again it opens up a new area for ROH to hopefully elevate it's brand/name.

In all honesty if ROH is sensible and does grow some balls this could be amazing for ROH especially if they do a joint show in Mexico with CMLL, considering the passion for wrestling there the fan base could really help ROH, for example I can see Dalton Castle being massive there.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Big Red Machine wrote:Here's a question that might sound kind of mean but... does ROH really NEED a relationship with CMLL? We've already got New Japan guys coming in all the time (and mostly getting the way of product), and aside from Caristico, who do they have that might possibly even be a draw? Don't get me wrong: I like Dragon Lee, Volador Jr., and Barbaro Cavernario, but I don't seem them really drawing anyone who wouldn't otherwise come to the show? Maybe Dragon Lee would in certain match-ups, but that's really about it.
a show with volador jr, draogn lee and rush ( he is amazing) could be very good, is always good the crossover between promotions.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

from kk view from ringside

"The youth movement of 2016 is something to behold. With Lio Rush, Jay White, Donovan Dijak and Kamaitachi, the future is very bright and all four will play a big role in ROH going forward."

dijak contract is up soon and with all the speculation that wwe is going to catch everything..he have a great opportunity of shine in roh.
Big Red Machine

monster mafia wrote:
a show with volador jr, draogn lee and rush ( he is amazing) could be very good, is always good the crossover between promotions.
Wow. I totally forgot Rush was still in CMLL.

What I'm afraid of is that like with New Japan, ROH is going to get the wheat, but in order to do so they're going to have to take the useless undercard chaff as well, and it will clog up the shows even more. If it was just Dragon Lee or Volador Jr. or Caristico coming in for a few (or more than a few) shows a year, (not even all at the same time), and ROH sending some some guys back to CMLL occasionally, too, I'd be all for it. I just don't want get stuck with ten CMLL guys coming in on a significant percentage of ROH's shows, which is what it feels like is happening with New Japan.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Personally I think that's what we will see just the odd one or two and then maybe a joint show once a year if necessary.