Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Big Red Machine

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by Big Red Machine »

Fawrules wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:ROH has quite a few names for big moves that are completely atrocious:
Feast Your Eyes
Path of Resistance
End of Heartache... for a backbreaker?

"Celebrity Rehab" and "Midnight Star" are only barely better.

You'd think someone would have done something to change these by now. Especially Feast Your Eyes. UCH.
Personally like Celebrity Rehab and End of Heartache. Though you can make the point for both that they would be a better fit for different guys than the ones who currently use them.
No. You cannot possibly make the point that "Feast Your Eyes" is a good name for a professional wrestling maneuver.
Big Red Machine

Vanilla Gorilla wrote:My random thought for the day. ROH needs a "Suplex guy" Sure Castle has that stalling german and a couple guys throw exploders. But I'm talking a guy in the tradition of the Steiner Brothers, Gary Albright, Taz, Kurt Angle and Chris Benoit... a guy that throws multiple types of suplexes in his matches and is his real calling card.
Totally agree.
Fawrules

Post by Fawrules »

Big Red Machine wrote:
Fawrules wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:ROH has quite a few names for big moves that are completely atrocious:
Feast Your Eyes
Path of Resistance

You'd think someone would have done something to change these by now. Especially Feast Your Eyes. UCH.
Personally like Celebrity Rehab and End of Heartache. Though you can make the point for both that they would be a better fit for different guys than the ones who currently use them.
No. You cannot possibly make the point that "Feast Your Eyes" is a good name for a professional wrestling maneuver.
Uhm, I must have missed where I was. Just pointing out that I actually sort of liked the two names in question.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

John Cena name dropped ROH, PWG and New Japan during a promo on last nights RAW.

Called it, "the Ring of Honor", but it's all the same thing.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

If El Generico/Sami Zayn were to return to the indies/ROH one day would he be better served returning unmasked as a variation of the Sami Zayn gimmick rather than reverting back to the Generico gimmick? I think he's have better draw power for smaller indie companies that look to draw "casual fans" more than a PWG, EVOLVE, and even ROH do with the Sami Zayn gimmick.
AndyDiaz

Post by AndyDiaz »

dhads7161 wrote:If El Generico/Sami Zayn were to return to the indies/ROH one day would he be better served returning unmasked as a variation of the Sami Zayn gimmick rather than reverting back to the Generico gimmick? I think he's have better draw power for smaller indie companies that look to draw "casual fans" more than a PWG, EVOLVE, and even ROH do with the Sami Zayn gimmick.
I truly believe that this will NEVER happen, but it would have to Generico right? Maybe do both?
Big Red Machine

AndyDiaz wrote:
dhads7161 wrote:If El Generico/Sami Zayn were to return to the indies/ROH one day would he be better served returning unmasked as a variation of the Sami Zayn gimmick rather than reverting back to the Generico gimmick? I think he's have better draw power for smaller indie companies that look to draw "casual fans" more than a PWG, EVOLVE, and even ROH do with the Sami Zayn gimmick.
I truly believe that this will NEVER happen, but it would have to Generico right? Maybe do both?
Sami Zayn would be for the best- both for the promotions and for portraying him as a main eventer (Sami Zyan is a likeable dude with a lot of heart; El Generico is a joke of a character who was only tolerated because the man under the mask was so damn talented), but wouldn't WWE own the Sami Zayn name?
Vanilla Gorilla

Post by Vanilla Gorilla »

Big Red Machine wrote:
AndyDiaz wrote:
Sami Zayn would be for the best- both for the promotions and for portraying him as a main eventer (Sami Zyan is a likeable dude with a lot of heart; El Generico is a joke of a character who was only tolerated because the man under the mask was so damn talented), but wouldn't WWE own the Sami Zayn name?
he'd probably have to change it to "Samurai Zane"
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Could go Rami Zayn or Sami Olé.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Opinions on ROH using local rings on some house shows (Milwaukee, Hopkins, used to in San Antonio)? Looks kind of bush league for a company trying to be number two in the U.S. A ring is part of a show's overall presentation, dumb to use a ring you don't use for TV on what isessentially an "As seen on TV" show.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

dhads7161 wrote:Opinions on ROH using local rings on some house shows (Milwaukee, Hopkins, used to in San Antonio)? Looks kind of bush league for a company trying to be number two in the U.S. A ring is part of a show's overall presentation, dumb to use a ring you don't use for TV on what isessentially an "As seen on TV" show.
Considering they weren't TV tapings or PPV's it's fine, it cuts costs on so many levels, plus looking at Videos coming out the previous weekends the ring looked like shit so they might be replacing it any.

ROH will have a limited budget despite the ownership and profits and savings in any shape or form will be seen as wise, ROH might aspire to be number 2 but at the moment the investment isn't their and judging by TNA's situation it's a smarter idea not exceed your limitations.
ROHfan2002

Post by ROHfan2002 »

Big Red Machine wrote:
Fawrules wrote:
Feast Your Eyes
Path of Resistance

Feast your eyes is an old saying that means whatever your eyes are looking at is like food for your body. It's a feast, for your eyes. Something incredible to see. So Dijak is saying his finishing move is a feast for your eyes. It's incredible to see.

How is that not a good name for a move? And even if you don't agree, how can you say "you cannot possibly make the point..." I just make the point. Whether you agree or not, I made the point. Think it's a stupid point? It's still a point made for the move name.

Yes, I like it. But even if I didn't, a person can make the point for the name.
ROHfan2002

Post by ROHfan2002 »

dhads7161 wrote:Opinions on ROH using local rings on some house shows (Milwaukee, Hopkins, used to in San Antonio)? Looks kind of bush league for a company trying to be number two in the U.S. A ring is part of a show's overall presentation, dumb to use a ring you don't use for TV on what isessentially an "As seen on TV" show.
I hate it. Even if the ring is a good ring, it's still a bad look, IMO. If you want to be anything more than a local indy company running a small venue once a month, you need to have a ring. Your own damn ring.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

They shouldn’t do that for TV or PPVs but for house shows who cares? They should run them the cheapest way possible, why waste any more money than necesary for your C shows? Same with the carytron, save it for the TV/PPVs.
Vanilla Gorilla

Post by Vanilla Gorilla »

I like it. Takes me back to when I was little and fell in love with wrestling. WWF would use the local rings and it gave each building a unique look, thus making venues special. I loved seeing the different set ups that Toronto's maple leaf gardens had or the spectrum in Philly. I hate the cookie cutter look of today where each venue is essentially the same.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Not sure where this is going....

Also, this was announced today (will make an actual thread for the Aftershock Tour after Best In The World takes place):
Colt Cabana doesn’t know who the ROH World Champion will be on July 16th, but he does know that he will be getting a much-deserved title shot that night at the historic 2300 Arena in Philadelphia at the Aftershock national TV taping.

Cabana could be facing current ROH World Champion Jay Lethal; or former champion Jay Briscoe, who takes on Lethal in the Biggest Rematch in ROH History on June 24th at the Best in the World pay-per-view; or Kyle O’Reilly, who meets the Lethal-Briscoe winner in a championship match at an event the following night.

Regardless of who walks into the ring with the championship belt to defend it against Cabana, the title undoubtedly will be in serious jeopardy.

After what transpired in the title match between Cabana and Lethal at the Global Wars pay-per-view on May 8th, many people consider Cabana to be the uncrowned champion.

Cabana went hold-for-hold with Lethal and eventually trapped the champ in Billy Goat’s Curse. Lethal appeared to be on the verge of tapping out when his associate, Taeler Hendrix, pulled the referee out of the ring.

After that, The Bullet Club (new member Adam Cole, The Young Bucks and The Guerrillas of Destiny) interjected themselves into the match and attacked Cabana, Lethal and a number of ROH staff in a beat-down for the ages.

Cabana may very well have been robbed of the ROH World Title, and the fans were robbed of a conclusive finish to what had been a spectacular main event to that point.

Seeking retribution on Cole and The Bullet Club, Cabana has gotten a bit sidetracked as of late, but he hasn’t lost sight of why he returned to ROH for the first time in nearly five years.

A 17-year veteran who has won numerous regional and tag team championships all over the world and carved out a nice for himself outside the ring with his popular podcast and endeavors in the world of comedy, Cabana is determined to add “ROH World Champion” to his impressive body of work.

Cabana stated his intentions when he confronted Lethal during a surprise appearance at the Supercard of Honor X events in Dallas in early April.

“Sometimes you have to look in the mirror and know exactly want you to be,” Cabana told Lethal. “I’ve been doing this a long time, and I won’t be able to live with myself unless I am able to wear [the ROH World Championship belt] around my waist.”

The following night, Cabana pinned Lethal in an impromptu non-title match.

Cabana, who made his ROH debut all the way back in 2002 by defeating best friend CM Punk, has come close to winning the ROH World Title on several occasions over the years, including taking then-champion Bryan Danielson to a 60-minute draw in a two-out-of-three falls match in 2006.

Cabana, who has gotten himself into great shape and is better than ever in the ring, believes it’s finally the right time and right place for him to become world champion.

He certainly would love nothing more than to win the most prestigious title in pro wrestling at the 2300 Arena, the birthplace of Honor and a building that he has a lot of history in.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

do you guys think that briscoe winning the belt is a step back...?

he is the most over babyface act in roh right now..but maybe kyle deserves the belt
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

I liked Brisoe's first reign, though it wasn't overwhelmingly great by any means. His second reign, being the result of some spur of the moment booking, actually turned out really well in the culmination of the title vs title feud. But, I don't see how they can do much interesting with a third reign by Briscoe. There are more people on the roster that deserve a second reign, and a few that deserve a first reign, far before Briscoe should have a third.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

monster mafia wrote:do you guys think that briscoe winning the belt is a step back...?

he is the most over babyface act in roh right now..but maybe kyle deserves the belt
By what metric does Kyle "deserve" the belt?
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Hasn't proven to be worthy of a reign yet. Kayfabe wise a last one on one opportunity as he has yet to be cleanly/decisively beaten by Lethal makes sense but putting the strap on him would not be right just yet.