Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
monster mafia

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by monster mafia »

Brooooooo :lol: :lol:

Burnside

Post by Burnside »

When Kenny King flubbed his very first line, why would they not do another take?
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Burnside wrote:When Kenny King flubbed his very first line, why would they not do another take?
because they wanna make wrestling great again men!
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Bar one slip, which I have seen from everyone at some moment or another, I liked it. It may well give them more licence to do bits like this and explore it further say knocking on doors picketing etc. I also think it will protect them in the ring as their characters can allow them a certain ring style which I think both will fit in well with.
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

Bit of a rip off from a certain WWE storyline...
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Was looking on my guide to see what time ROH TV is on in my local today and I noticed an hour and a half timeslot.
Vanilla Gorilla

Post by Vanilla Gorilla »

dhads7161 wrote:Was looking on my guide to see what time ROH TV is on in my local today and I noticed an hour and a half timeslot.
still showing just an hour on mine.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Vanilla Gorilla wrote:
dhads7161 wrote:Was looking on my guide to see what time ROH TV is on in my local today and I noticed an hour and a half timeslot.
still showing just an hour on mine.
Other station in the area as it as an hour though. Probably a slight error on the station's part.
KL_

Post by KL_ »

ROH retweeted this from Cody Rhodes Twitter.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

he is coming...great news,for me he is and underrated wrestler

also..moose and roddy stay?
project161

Post by project161 »

ROHfan2002 wrote:Don't usually comment on threads when it's really just a matter of opinion, such as the ongoing "ROH sucks/ROH doesn't suck" arguments that have gone on for awhile here. But I would like to toss my two cents into this thread because I have a strong view.

Starting with the Black Friday (through December) sale last year, I got into Evolve, purchasing the events beginning with the chapter two shows (31, 32, 33). Off and on, I continued to buy old shows, while also getting the live events in 2016. At the same time, I am an ROH fan since show one, and have been a Ringside Member for almost 18 months now, never missing ROH TV and ordering every PPV/iPPV since Death Before Dishonor last July.

After the last round of Evolve shows (60 & 61 I think), I realized that I just wasn't enjoying them much. I loved everything from 31 up to end of 2015 from Evolve, but whenever I watched this year, it didn't do much. There was always very good matches, and some excellent (ZSJ, Marty Scrull, Osprey) matches, but overall when it was over, I felt like had I not watched it, it wouldn't have bothered me much. The lack of Thatcher has also hurt a lot, as he is my favorite in Evolve but has only had four defenses this year. I can't complain about match quality, but something is just not there for me in 2016 Evolve. I also don't like that the focal point has been more "we have a deal with WWE that is changing things up" than anything else. Thatcher v. Catch Point/Galloway v. Gargano/Hero v. Sabre should be the focal point, but it seems like the thing they push most is "WWE cruiserweight classic" and the WWE relationship. Hell, the main feud right now is two TNA guys hating on WWE to the Evolve guys, who seem to be fighting more for the honor of WWE than Evolve. It's just bad. Thatcher leaving the belt and wanting to beat everybody in Catch Point before feeling like he is champion is decent, but since he so rarely wrestles lately, it would take five shows to beat all of Catch Point. That's three months of shows, and he isn't even scheduled against them in June. So will that end ever?

IN general, it's great matches but not much else, with a whole lot of pushing this WWE relationship over the actual Evolve promotion. If I'm paying for Evolve, I want to see athletes competing in Evolve because they feel Evolve is the absolute best. Not because they want to get into a cruiserweight tournament that will probably be great, but also probably be forgotten by WWE by Night of Champions. Evolve has become the minor league to NXT, which is the developmental to WWE. Hard to muster up spending money on what has become, in many ways, the third tier of WWE now.

I've put that money that would have gone to Evolve in June, JUly and August into starting to purchase the ROH live event VOD's. Watched the first two of 2016, and have really enjoyed both. Giving up Evolve, for me, has been very easy as now I'm seeing the ROH live events, which to me are more enjoyable.

NOw, I can see the arguments about ROH booking, but even considering that, ROH is still my favorite wrestling promotion right now. I am not big on the whole Bullet Club blowjob fest, but still have never felt disappointed purchasing an ROH PPV, or the VOD's so far.

The business model for ROH and Evolve are vastly different. ROH is a TV company putting out TV shows and PPV events. They need to tie talent down. Evolve does not have that need, so it's probably a lot easier to get wrestlers in for two shows a month. the WWE relationship also helps them there, because most indy guys want to get to WWE, and will pick Evolve over ROH right now. I'm okay with that, because I prefer ROH to be it's own company, and not the NXT feeder promotion.

I have no problem with the ROH seminar method of finding talent. I don't see it as ROH ripping wrestlers off. You are paying for the opportunity to get a ROH contract. There is no guarantee there, and you know this going in.

ROH could be better in many ways, but it is still my favorite, and I pick it over Evolve. But that's just me.
I agree with mostly everything you said except for this. While the idea of the seminars is fine, using that as essentially the only means to bring in new talent is rather poor in my opinion. It's a bit moot to say, but ROH used to be about having a finger on the pulse with new talents that people want to see. At the moment for some time, it has been about bringing back some of the names from the past. While I do not personally mind that in regards to most of the names they have brought back, it is also important to prepare for the future and ROH would be better suited to be a bit more on the pulse with that sort of thing. Giving talents like Jason Kincaid opportunities on the upcoming house shows is a good example of that.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Hopefully Coady is coming in and all of his list wont just be completed by just competing in PWG, but I can see that being his best option considering who he wants to wrestle and where.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

I'm intrigued by a Cody/Shibata match.
STITCHES

Post by STITCHES »

BurningHammer wrote:Hopefully Coady is coming in and all of his list wont just be completed by just competing in PWG, but I can see that being his best option considering who he wants to wrestle and where.
It would be rather short-sighted on his part, but I certainly wouldn't complain. :D
ROHfan2002

Post by ROHfan2002 »

"I agree with mostly everything you said except for this. While the idea of the seminars is fine, using that as essentially the only means to bring in new talent is rather poor in my opinion. It's a bit moot to say, but ROH used to be about having a finger on the pulse with new talents that people want to see. At the moment for some time, it has been about bringing back some of the names from the past. While I do not personally mind that in regards to most of the names they have brought back, it is also important to prepare for the future and ROH would be better suited to be a bit more on the pulse with that sort of thing. Giving talents like Jason Kincaid opportunities on the upcoming house shows is a good example of that."

Allow me to disagree with you, sir. If a wrestler wants to get into WWE, almost always they have to do a tryout (AJ and Anderson/Gallows being the very rare exception). Even long time indy vets like Kevin Steen had to do a tryout, then go through NXT. So for ROH to do this also is not a big deal to me. Plus, we do not know all that goes behind the scenes. Maybe some really great Indy talent has been invited to tryout and told ROH no. It's really just a way this company has to look at talent in an ROH-like setting (in their dojo), to talk with the talent, and to gauge if that person can add to the company. Yes, they do have to pay. But that is also a way for ROH to see just how much does this person want to be in Ring of Honor. I have no issue with this. If'n you'd have to do it to get into WWE, how could you complain about doing it to get into ROH (which at this time is the second largest nation wide wrestling promotion in America not owned/operated by WWE)? It also gives the ROH scouts a much better chance to focus in on you, rather then be distracted by all the trappings. Yes, it's not how ROH use to do things, but Ring of Honor is vastly different now. ROH is not an independent company. It is a national touring company owned by a huge corporation with tremendous assets and with a weekly syndicated TV program. They have grown much bigger, they have evolved in how they do business, and they have changed up how they choose which talent to bring in. Getting an ROH contract sounds like a nice, secure paycheck in a business that isn't always like that, so going through a tryout really isn't that big of a deal.

NOw, if you disagree with how they pick talent from the tryout to bring in to ROH, that's another story.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Right now the World title is really useless. Roster is all midcarders for the most part except Lethal, Cole, Jay Briscoe, and Colt. O'Reilly I think can be at that level but I see him like I do Fish, Roddy, Sydal, ACH, and Mark as top level singles mid carders. They're guys that you revolve the TV title around along with Page now and mix them into main events for house shows and TV. If the Addiction were to split or if they decideed to use them more in singles like they do with the Briscoes, Daniels is certainly a main eventer, Kaz would be lost. Guns would be similar to Addiction but Sabin could easily fit with the TV title crew unlike lost Kaz. Dijak, Castle, Silas Young, and Lio Rush are true midcarders, maybe ANX too but their return as flopped partly due to booking, partly just due to the rest of the division just bieng better than them. Ferrara, Coleman, Bob, and Cheeseburger are ham and eggers. Don't know what the heck Whitmer's purpose is besides antagonizing Corino. War Machine and Moose ave pretty much done all they can in ROH. May be time for all three to try to go work in Japan especially War Machine since NJPW's heavyweight tag division is so bare now.
STITCHES

Post by STITCHES »

I agree with you on the upper card circuit. There's really not much there, which is confusing. You'd think the writing would reflect a fierce competition for these titles. Like when Cole was champion, you had Hero, Steen and Elgin all chopping at the bid to take the guy down. You know something's wrong when Cheeseburger's a notch in the title reign for Jay Lethal.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

STITCHES wrote:I agree with you on the upper card circuit. There's really not much there, which is confusing. You'd think the writing would reflect a fierce competition for these titles. Like when Cole was champion, you had Hero, Steen and Elgin all chopping at the bid to take the guy down. You know something's wrong when Cheeseburger's a notch in the title reign for Jay Lethal.
The problem is Lethal has beaten everyone the last two years no matter if it was for the World or TV title. Jay Briscoe he beat, Colt he didn't beat but now a potential rematch would be better suited for TV or a house show as it only worked on PPV due to the location. He's beaten Fish, Strong, Sydal, ACH, and Mark Briscoe. Adam Page in my opinion would be the best choice (besides O'Reilly) to eventually dethrone Fish and he's obviously the mid card guy in the ROH Bullet Club. Daniels wouldn't really be an option as they're both in similar heel roles, Shelley could be a good contender but I don't think him challenging is a PPV match. Moose sticks out too much, Whitmer is worthless now, and Taven is still injured and really not someone I see as a main eventer.

There's still intrigue in O'Reilly challenging to me because he hasn't been beaten straight up for the title by Lethal, there's story there. I'd say there's intrigue with Cole too but I'd rather see O'Reilly take it off Lethal then vanquish Cole once and for all at Final Battle.

There's a lot of good matches for him to have again but Delirious' lazy booking has left nobody looking good, not even Lethal himself.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

I can't believe how lackluster the build is for Lethal/Briscoe II is. Now it's completely overshadowed by The Bullet Club. What should have been an epic rematch is now something no one gives a shit about.
STITCHES

Post by STITCHES »

That's true. I forgot about Briscoe / Lethal II. :shock:

Bad timing, possibly?