Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
STITCHES

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by STITCHES »

I don't know, man. All caveats aside, Evolve reminds me of how ROH used to be. Doesn't matter if the formula isn't original. It's damn sure more exciting than watching War Machine vs ANX.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

I will agree with that 100%.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

What they said.
STITCHES

Post by STITCHES »

187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

EVOLVE is in many ways what ROH used to be before having TV really. If you are stuck in the Golden era of ROH you should be watching for sure. Right now they are having their best period since the company started.
Big Red Machine

187_Joeism wrote:EVOLVE is in many ways what ROH used to be before having TV really. If you are stuck in the Golden era of ROH you should be watching for sure. Right now they are having their best period since the company started.
Best by what measure? Financially? Probably. But as has been discussed before, that is in spite of the current booking. Not because of it. If Gabe were booking the company they'd be making twice as much as they are now.
Fawrules

Post by Fawrules »

Big Red Machine wrote:
187_Joeism wrote:EVOLVE is in many ways what ROH used to be before having TV really. If you are stuck in the Golden era of ROH you should be watching for sure. Right now they are having their best period since the company started.
Best by what measure? Financially? Probably. But as has been discussed before, that is in spite of the current booking. Not because of it. If Gabe were booking the company they'd be making twice as much as they are now.
I think you may have misread that last comment. I'm pretty certain that the "best period since the company started" quote was in reference to Evolve, not Ring of Honor.
Big Red Machine

Fawrules wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
I think you may have misread that last comment. I'm pretty certain that the "best period since the company started" quote was in reference to Evolve, not Ring of Honor.
Oh. Well... either way, HOORAY FOR GABE!
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

I meant EVOLVE yeah, i really don't think you can compare ROH with EVOLVE though, is way more easier to book 2/3 shows a month than to have PPV, TV & House Shows. That's the reason i don't think ROH will ever have the hardcore fan buzz it once had even if they change the booking
STITCHES

Post by STITCHES »

Probably not. But then we're stuck with this WCW Lite version of ROH we have today? That's what it reminds me of, anyway.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

I think the booking can improve but that´s it, i don´t see any of the changes some fans want happening mostly because ROH is not that indy company anymore.

They are not going to sign all the guys with indy buzz or they are not going to have all the shows being important because they shouldn´t and i´m sure they will never do that because when you have TV you need to do things that way.

The whole "this is not the ROH that i remember" is the thing i think some fans should realize, that company is day since the day the Cary when almost broke and had to sold the company, now the company is different, it could be better or worse at times but will never be that company again.
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

At least when everybody shat over EVOLVE's booking, after the Teddy Hart stuff at WM weekend, Gabe listened to the people and changed things up.
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
itaintducks

Post by itaintducks »

FanSinceHDNet

Post by FanSinceHDNet »

itaintducks wrote:New website roster additions. Delirious is on there as well, but I honestly can't recall if he was there before this week or not.

http://rohwrestling.com/wrestlers/roster/mr-wrestling-3

http://rohwrestling.com/wrestlers/roster/colt-cabana

http://rohwrestling.com/wrestlers/roster/kelly-klein

http://rohwrestling.com/wrestlers/roster/lio-rush
Still missing among those that have had or will have heavy play: Beer City Bruiser, Brutal Bob, Colby Corino, Jason Kincaid, Kamaitachi, Kenny Omega, and Tim Hughes.

WOH that have had a few matches: Amber Gallows, Deonna Purrazzo, Jemny Rose, and Sumie Sakai. No Ian Riccaboni, either.

House show guys like Shaheem Ali, Ken Phoenix, Kongo, Keith Lee, and Shane Taylor are missing, too.

Also, why not put the NJPW guys, there?
FanSinceHDNet

Post by FanSinceHDNet »

Thinking about this type of thing, why no yearbook since, what, 2008? I think with the seeming amount of new fans there are, a program or a trading card set would be good for ROH to have.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

Out of all the people you listed the only one i think they should include is Beer City Bruiser, the rest don´t wrestle enough for the company to be included in the roster, Kamaitachi is not going to stay enough time to have to include him either.

New Japan guys should never be included in the ROH roster because of obvious reasons with the exception of when they have someone in an excursion like Watanabe.
Big Red Machine

187_Joeism wrote:I meant EVOLVE yeah, i really don't think you can compare ROH with EVOLVE though, is way more easier to book 2/3 shows a month than to have PPV, TV & House Shows. That's the reason i don't think ROH will ever have the hardcore fan buzz it once had even if they change the booking
I'm not saying it's not easier, but I don't think that most of the differences between the two are related to that. That shouldn't affect how interesting the top angles are, creating new stars/making people care about characters, logic in storylines...
ROH has more shows, but it feels like their angles move slower, have less force behind them, and it feels like there is a lot less going on in ROH than in EVOLVE. You'd think that with ROH having so many more shows this would be the opposite.
ROH could easily get back the buzz from hardcore fans if they change the booking. We've seen WWE do it.
Big Red Machine

187_Joeism wrote:Out of all the people you listed the only one i think they should include is Beer City Bruiser, the rest don´t wrestle enough for the company to be included in the roster, Kamaitachi is not going to stay enough time to have to include him either.

New Japan guys should never be included in the ROH roster because of obvious reasons with the exception of when they have someone in an excursion like Watanabe.
I pretty much agree, except I think Kamaitachi will be around long enough to justify his inclusion.
Big Red Machine

187_Joeism wrote:I think the booking can improve but that´s it, i don´t see any of the changes some fans want happening mostly because ROH is not that indy company anymore.

They are not going to sign all the guys with indy buzz or they are not going to have all the shows being important because they shouldn´t and i´m sure they will never do that because when you have TV you need to do things that way.

The whole "this is not the ROH that i remember" is the thing i think some fans should realize, that company is day since the day the Cary when almost broke and had to sold the company, now the company is different, it could be better or worse at times but will never be that company again.
Why do you think that these (supposedly) "indy" practices aren't feasible for a company that runs TV and PPVs. How does any of that stop them from bringing in guys with indy buzz. Isn't that what WWE has been doing for the last few years and what TNA did at their peak in 2005-2006?

You also don't seem to understand that no one is calling for the pre-Sinclair style where in order to follow the storylines you need to see all (or even most) of the shows. What people are calling for is to use the house shows to do one of two things:
1) Support the stories being played out on TV.
For example, if your angle is that ACH is on a winning streak and thus will earn a title shot, you have him win one match on TV, then have him win at all of the house shows between then and the next taping. Then, at the next taping, when ACH comes out for his match you have the announcers say that he is on a big winning streak, having picked up wins at the shows in towns X,Y, and Z, and if he wins tonight, he will surely be in line for a title shot. Doing that will not only make the house shows mean something, but will actually SAVE you time on TV because you don't need to waste time giving a guy three or four wins across three or four tapings to do the same angle. This idea can be applied to pretty much any angle. You can even do something like a tournament on a house show and put the title match that the winner receives on television.

2) Have their own short, self-contained stories
Guy earning title shots via short hot pushes or Proving Ground matches or wining a small tournament and then getting a title shot and getting their title shot at an upcoming house show, or guys going to a draw and having a rematch or whatever... all you have to do is find some way (like maybe once every three months or so) to have some that feels really important happen on a house show to keep the crowds thinking a title change might be possible (and you can show that on TV when it happens).

Even the show names could be done in such a way that they give the shows some personality. If you don't believe that, just look at Lucha Underground. Their shows have episode titles. Why can't ROH (especially if they're perfectly willing to occasionally delve into the realm of the generic like "Baltimore Brawl" or whatever. That sounds a lot better than stupid, non-sensical names like "Conquest Tour or Reloaded Tour.")

No one is saying that the company should be a clone of what it was before the sale. We're just saying that things could be done to make the stories feel richer and make the non-televised shows feel like they matter instead of the complete and total throwaways we've gotten on most of them for the past year, and that these things would in no way be hampered by the requirements to be on TV and do PPVs.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

Maybe I'm starting to lose it but i agree with BRM in both points if that's your problem with ROH i can't see way they can't do that. I prefer the point 1 over the 2 as a way to use the house shows but i don't agree that the house shows itself should have any importance other than follow the TV/PPV.

The shows name i can't honestly care less, i watch wrestling for the matches, if a show has a good card i will buy it. Having their own name or being a Road to show means nothing to me, maybe is because i watch New Japan and they do it that way too.