Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Wilson

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by Wilson »

I thought Kyle O’Reilly was already confirmed? I would be shocked if it weren’t him.

Unfortunately, I don’t see Adam Cole being considered a heavyweight when he arrives, baybay.
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

Wilson wrote:I thought Kyle O’Reilly was already confirmed? I would be shocked if it weren’t him.

Unfortunately, I don’t see Adam Cole being considered a heavyweight when he arrives, baybay.
Don't confuse the Super J Cup with Best of the Super Jr. XIII ;)
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

JigsawVs.Jason wrote:
Wilson wrote:I thought Kyle O’Reilly was already confirmed? I would be shocked if it weren’t him.

Don't confuse the Super J Cup with Best of the Super Jr. XIII ;)
Yeah, BOTSJ is May/June. Super J Cup was supposed to be one night in August, but now I guess it's 1st round in July, and the other rounds in August.

I wonder if that "other" spot is going to go to a Bullet Club guy. I mean, if Suzuki-gun has two entrants, surely The Bullet Club could have it's own entrant.
Montana

Post by Montana »

I'm about a year behind on ROH dvd's... but whatever happened to RD Evan's? Noticed he's not on the roster anymore.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

Montana wrote:I'm about a year behind on ROH dvd's... but whatever happened to RD Evan's? Noticed he's not on the roster anymore.
He is not wrestling anymore as far as i know
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Thanks, Jigsaw and DXvsNWO. Totally did switch the two, I forgot we were getting the Super J this year. The Bullet Club spot also makes a lot of sense. But lordy do I not want to see Bullet Club and Suzuki-gun in the same tournament.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Has ROH ever ran in Memphis? If so why no? I can understand why they don't right now because SBG doesn't have an affiliate in Memphis but I don't think that would be much of a proble considering the wrestling hotbed Memphis is. Just advertise an appearance by Lawler and get his help promoting it all over the city's forms of media and they'd draw decent numbers.
Mike Adamle

Post by Mike Adamle »

If I was ROH I'd be pushing so hard right now for Kurt Angle to sign a contract. It'd help with certain booking issues immensely. Imagine if at Best In The World Jay vs. Jay II is about to be ruined by The Bullet Club when Kurt Angle comes in to save ROH from Bullet Club. It'd then allow Jay vs. Jay II to end clean, which can be his reasoning for coming in; he's sick and tired of watching this bullshit interference, ROh was built on wins-losses, clean finishes, handshakes, blah blah blah, and he wants to bring it back.

That allows him to be accepted onto the ROH roster pretty quickly. And puts him in a program away from the world title for the time being too.

And Kurt Angle would obviously be an exception to any "NJPW Wins Lol" because he's Kurt freakin' Angle. He could beat Okada, he could beat Tanahashi, he could easily theoretically beat Naito or Omega. And if he is put in a meaningful program with certain ROH wrestlers and really puts them over like he did with AJ Styles in TNA then I could see that wrestler also being allowed to possibly beat one of the NJPW top 4.

Plus it'd put a lot more eyes on the product because it's Kurt Angle in ROH.
BlackLesnar wrote:Seriously though, I completely agree with Mike.
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
Mike Adamle wrote:Should've named this show "Masters of the Roll Up"
This is the best post ever by Adamle. I laughed my ass off at this.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

dhads7161 wrote:Has ROH ever ran in Memphis? If so why no? I can understand why they don't right now because SBG doesn't have an affiliate in Memphis but I don't think that would be much of a proble considering the wrestling hotbed Memphis is. Just advertise an appearance by Lawler and get his help promoting it all over the city's forms of media and they'd draw decent numbers.
Because Lawler is under contract to WWE and would get serious heat over there for doing so and thus it wouldn't be worth his while to help? And I really don't think Memphis has been much of a "wrestling hotbed" since the late 90's. TNA, in their entire history, only ran Memphis twice.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

The Monday Night Wars killed Memphis as a wrestling hotbed 20 years ago.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

just thinking that silas and bcb are the most underrated tag team in roh..they are amazing.
lcf_901

Post by lcf_901 »

From Memphis and can confirm wrestling isnt hot here at all. I wonder why everyone groups us with the actual wrestling cities ?
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

I don't think Kurt Angle would sign anywhere but WWE at this point. Kurt's looking for the final run to pick up a nice pay cheque and to get some accolades like a Hall of Fame induction or a "thank you" title run. Hes already tried to build a company and the people in it failed him, so I doubt he'd want to try again. If available ROH should definitely bring Kurt in for a run. Even if its from ASE to Final Battle with only a couple matches, It'd be awesome to see one of the best wrestlers ever step into an ROH ring. Bonus points for the proverbial "fuck you" It'd send to TNA.
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

The last thing ROH needs right now is Kurt "I'll be dead in 12 months" Angle.
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
Mike Adamle

Post by Mike Adamle »

People have been saying that for years and he's cleaner than ever
BlackLesnar wrote:Seriously though, I completely agree with Mike.
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
Mike Adamle wrote:Should've named this show "Masters of the Roll Up"
This is the best post ever by Adamle. I laughed my ass off at this.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

The one instance where I would like to see Angle in ROH is the one given above. Come in as a surprise to help ROH defeat the Bullet Club. Use him in half the program, like a 3-4 months at most. Use him in a few tags and a couple marquee singles matches against Cole or Omega or something. After the BC story finishes at Final Battle, Kurt does too. Then he can go to WWE right in time for Wrestlemania season to start.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

Mike Adamle wrote:People have been saying that for years and he's cleaner than ever
True but I'm still worried about the wear and tear he put on himself.

It's just not worth it.
WHG

Post by WHG »

Bringing Angle in would be a huge mistake. In fact, while I was on board with ROH bringing in AJ, Joe, Kaz & Daniels, etc... the company really needs to focus on youth and up and coming stars again. Cabana was a great moment (which they kind of blew with the non-finish), but for all of the complaints about the booking the one that resonates with me isn't the reliance on New Japan...it's the age of the stars. Like WCW in the late 90s, everything is built on a bunch of guys we loved a decade ago and not enough on the next generation.
JTGrasby

Post by JTGrasby »

Angle as company ambassator and a guy who's only used on the big shows to wrestle some dream matches wouldn't be bad.

He's a guy who should only be wrestling on shows like BITW and Final Battle.
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

WHG wrote:Bringing Angle in would be a huge mistake. In fact, while I was on board with ROH bringing in AJ, Joe, Kaz & Daniels, etc... the company really needs to focus on youth and up and coming stars again. Cabana was a great moment (which they kind of blew with the non-finish), but for all of the complaints about the booking the one that resonates with me isn't the reliance on New Japan...it's the age of the stars. Like WCW in the late 90s, everything is built on a bunch of guys we loved a decade ago and not enough on the next generation.
I second this sentiment.
Right now, ROH has 5 established main eventers in Lethal, Cole, Fish, O'Reilly and Strong. Potentially Strong might leave, which I don't think will happen.
But after those 5 guys there is a scary lack of upper midcarders. The onl one that comes to mind is ACH, maybe Dalton Castle too.
Guys like Elgin and Sydal have chosen NJPW over ROH and cannot really be used for longer programs, but are considered to be special attractions. Guys like Ciampa and Alexander that once seemed to be the ones to make the leap into the main event, went to WWE.
Right now, ROH has way too many great tag teams, and definitely not enough new guys being brought in that could fill this void. This might be really dangerous, since ROH could be quickly out of main eventers if say Strong and Cole decide to leave. Now that in itself is nothing to worry about, and there sure as hell is no turmoil, disaster of epic poroprtions bound to happen because Strong might leave and Cole might leave when his contract is up. But ROH should be aware that it has always been the case that their best guys are recruited by the bigger leagues. And if you take this into consideration, ROH has to do a lot better when it comes to building new stars. Guys like Page, Lio Rush or Dijak need to be brought in now, otherwise ROH could end up with a big void in the upper midcard/and eventually in the main event scene.