Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
187_Joeism

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by 187_Joeism »

monster mafia wrote:
187_Joeism wrote:They could just let him honor his previous date, if he gets more dates with EVOLVE that would be weird.
that is true but look the example of stokely hathaway
I don´t think he had a contract
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

187_Joeism wrote:
monster mafia wrote:
187_Joeism wrote:They could just let him honor his previous date, if he gets more dates with EVOLVE that would be weird.
that is true but look the example of stokely hathaway
I don´t think he had a contract
Stokely Hathaway's situation is interesting. He made his debut with Evolve at Evolve 58, but then he was at Night 1 of Supercard of Honor X, which was after Evolve. Hathaway is also working in CHIKARA now as Chuck Taylor (as weird as that sounds, there is a storyline explanation for that).
STITCHES

Post by STITCHES »

Are they going to have Kentucky Gentleman Chuck Taylor and Stokely Hathaway argue over who's the REAL Chuck Taylor? Or will it be like a Black Machismo Ric Flair situation?
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

STITCHES wrote:Are they going to have Kentucky Gentleman Chuck Taylor and Stokely Hathaway argue over who's the REAL Chuck Taylor? Or will it be like a Black Machismo Ric Flair situation?
Basically, the story stems from Chuck Taylor's "Retirement Tour" last year (which I guess meant that he was "retiring" his name in the CHIKARA-verse). Stokely Hathaway bought the rights to the "Chuck Taylor" name, so he owns it and is the only one who can use it. The real Chuck Taylor is still wrestling in CHIKARA, but he's been going by different names. He was Scoot Tatum at one point, but now he's Rick Beanbag.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

From rohwrestling.com, Part 1 of The Colt Cabana Chronicles...

http://www.rohwrestling.com/news/colt-c ... -roh-years
THE COLT CABANA CHRONICLES: THE EARLY ROH YEARS

Colt Cabana shocked the wrestling word at ROH’s Supercard of Honor X events last weekend in Dallas when he confronted and then competed against ROH World Champion Jay Lethal. It was the first time Cabana, once an ROH stalwart, had appeared in an ROH ring in nearly five years. This is the first installment of a three-part series looking at Cabana’s unique and distinguished career.

Colt Cabana was a fresh-faced, 22-year-old when he made his ROH debut in 2002.

He made a strong first impression, defeating fellow Chicago native CM Punk. Several months later, Cabana, Punk and Ace Steel, the man who had trained both of them, joined forces to form The Second City Saints.

Coming out to the ring to Barry Manilow’ cheesy classic “Copacabana,” Cabana entertained fans with his comedic antics, but he also displayed outstanding wrestling skills.

The clean-cut, happy-go-lucky Cabana was a stark contrast to the tattooed, vitriolic Punk, but the odd couple had undeniable chemistry as a tag team.

Cabana and Punk captured the ROH World Tag Team Title twice in 2004, taking the championship both times from The Briscoe Brothers (who would go on to become the most-decorated tag team in ROH history).

Eventually, Cabana and Punk decided to pursue careers as singles wrestlers. In an example of things coming full circle, Cabana defeated his best friend Punk in a two-out-of-three falls encounter in 2005 in Punk’s final match in ROH.

In addition to his win over Punk, who is a former ROH World Champion, Cabana also holds victories over former ROH World Champions Nigel McGuinness, Kevin Steen and Homicide.

Cabana has challenged for the ROH World Title against the likes of Bryan Danielson (whom Cabana took to a 60-minute draw in a two-out-of three falls match in 2006), Samoa Joe, Austin Aries, Davey Richards, James Gibson and Jerry Lynn, but the championship has thus far eluded him.

In 2005 and 2006, Cabana proved that he could be more than a mat technician with a quirky sense of humor, as he engaged in a series of ultra-violent matches against the blood-thirsty Homicide.

Homicide committed a number of heinous acts throughout the feud, including assaulting Cabana with various weapons, choking him with a coat hanger and even pouring drain-cleaning liquid down his throat.

Cabana, however, showed his toughness by not only surviving the onslaught but ultimately prevailing over Homicide and earning his respect. After Cabana defeated him in a Chicago Street Fight, Homicide shook Cabana’s hand.

Cabana and Homicide would actually team together in 2007, splitting a couple of matches against Adam Pearce and Brent Albright.

In April 2007, Cabana ended his first stint in ROH by defeating Pearce in the main event of “Good Times, Great Memories,” a show named in Cabana’s honor that took place in his hometown of Chicago.

During his time in ROH, Cabana also wrestled around the globe for promotions in Europe, Japan and Mexico. He made an especially big impact in England.

Cabana made his return to ROH in 2009, teaming with Danielson to defeat The Embassy (Bison Smith and Jimmy Rave) at ROH’s 7th Anniversary Show.

From 2009 to 2011, Cabana continued to be a contender in the singles ranks, and he also formed a successful tag team with El Generico.

Cabana and Generico had a fierce rivalry with Kevin Steen and Steve Corino that came to a dramatic conclusion at Glory By Honor IX in September 2010, when Cabana and Generico won a double chain match. The following month, Cabana beat Corino in an I Quit Match.

Cabana departed ROH during the latter part of 2011.

Part 2 of The Colt Cabana Chronicles will look at Cabana's career after leaving ROH. Part 3 will focus on Cabana's return.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

No mention of the "can't challenge in Chicago" stip.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

Cedric Alexander is rumored for the GCS.
isles11

Post by isles11 »

Jay Lethal won the TV Championship for the 2nd time just over two years ago. Which means he's held a Championship of some sort in ROH for two straight years now.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

Quinn Moose Ojinnaka ‏@MooseNation69 8 abr. Ver traducción
Doesn't matter who were facing at
#Globalwars.......let see if my gear guy can make my pad…
https://www.instagram.com/p/BD8fzn2sOog/

So Moose will tag with Okada at the PPV, Okada & Moose vs Elgin & Tanahashi?
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

JTCole wrote:Cedric Alexander is rumored for the GCS.
Gotta have jobbers in that thing.
isles11 wrote:Jay Lethal won the TV Championship for the 2nd time just over two years ago. Which means he's held a Championship of some sort in ROH for two straight years now.
Hopefully this reign ends soon.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

187_Joeism wrote:Quinn Moose Ojinnaka ‏@MooseNation69 8 abr. Ver traducción

That's what I was thinking but after Invasion Attack I could very well see
Spoiler: show
Elgin, Tanahashi, Yoshitatsu vs. Moose, Okada, Gedo for the NEVER Opwenweight Six Man Tag Team Championship
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

dhads7161 wrote:
187_Joeism wrote:Quinn Moose Ojinnaka ‏@MooseNation69 8 abr. Ver traducción

That's what I was thinking but after Invasion Attack I could very well see
Elgin, Tanahashi, Yoshitatsu vs. Moose, Okada, Gedo for the NEVER Opwenweight Six Man Tag Team Championship
If anything i think Moose & Okada vs Lethal & Naito is more likely, i don´t see them fly-in Yoshitatsu
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

i think Yoshi lives in the US, if I'm not mistaken.

Hanson teased this, but I'd like to see Elgin/Tatsu/Tanahashi vs. War Machine/Moose.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

Or even if he doesn't live in the US, maybe his work visa is still good?
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

So during Invasion Attack, Kevin Kelly & Steve Corino did bring up that KUSHIDA wants to be the ROH World Champion. Wouldn't be shocked if KUSHIDA challenges on the upcoming shows in May, or it could be saved off for August or September/October. Bottom line, I think he's getting a title shot at some point.
STITCHES

Post by STITCHES »

Thelone wrote:
JTCole wrote:Cedric Alexander is rumored for the GCS.
Gotta have jobbers in that thing.
isles11 wrote:Jay Lethal won the TV Championship for the 2nd time just over two years ago. Which means he's held a Championship of some sort in ROH for two straight years now.
Hopefully this reign ends soon.
Agreed. I feel like when Cole had the belt, there was a more competitive upper card. Even with Jay Briscoe. But during this Lethal reign, things just feel stale.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Here's an interesting note from this past weekend: Josh Alexander made his return to the ring at an Alpha-1 show (that's the Canadian promotion run by Ethan Page), and captured the promotion's main title. Apparently the career-ending neck injury he had wasn't as serious as he previously thought (he gives a detailed explanation of what happened on his Twitter).

Now that he's back, here's to hoping he gets a 2nd look from ROH.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

Wow, until I saw the graphic I didn't realize how big of a percentage of Lethal's defenses were non-ROH.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

ROH put this up today, the 5th Anniversary of Larry Sweeney passing away: