Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
LJimmy

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by LJimmy »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:I've heard a number of people speculating recently that both Karl Anderson & Rocky Romero are bound for NXT sometime in 2016. Has anyone else heard these rumors and what do you think about them?
Where is this coming from? Is the talk for Romero to be a wrestler or a trainer?
Leo C

Post by Leo C »

LJimmy wrote:
DXvsNWO1994 wrote:I've heard a number of people speculating recently that both Karl Anderson & Rocky Romero are bound for NXT sometime in 2016. Has anyone else heard these rumors and what do you think about them?
Where is this coming from? Is the talk for Romero to be a wrestler or a trainer?
Trainer, I'm pretty sure he spent a week there as a guest trainer some time ago (Adam Pearce posted a picture with him). As for what I think, can't say I'd miss Romero in NJPW. He's not bad, but... eh. If Anderson came to NXT as a wrestler, I'd mark out hard if he and Bálor started the Bálor Club. Would be a good addition, I guess. I also wouldn't miss him in NJPW, but that's totally on his booking.
LJimmy

Post by LJimmy »

Karl Anderson makes high 6 figures working for New Japan. Why would he go to NXT?
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

There is no way Karl Anderson makes high six figures in New Japan.

Dave Meltzer says AJ made about $300k total in 2015 and he's the top gaijin and that figure combines NJPW, ROH, and indies.

Anderson would be taking a pay cut to go to NXT unless he gets a Balor deal, but not like a $600k pay cut.
Last edited by Burnside on Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
WHG

Post by WHG »

Anderson has publicly given his NJPW salary (I think on Twitter) as something like $600-$700k, and although he didn't call it out as a joke, the vast majority of people took it that way because it's an unrealistic number. But that's where that crazy rumor/perception comes from.
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

Everything with Matt Jackson and Adam Cole on the California/Lockport shows was probably the worst thing ROH did in 2015.
Last Real Man Hype
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

HonorLives

Post by HonorLives »

Burnside wrote:There is no way Karl Anderson makes high six figures in New Japan.

Dave Meltzer says AJ made about $300k total in 2015 and he's the top gaijin and that figure combines NJPW, ROH, and indies.

Anderson would be taking a pay cut to go to NXT unless he gets a Balor deal, but not like a $600k pay cut.
Meltzer is wrong and it's funny because last year AJ talked about his finances during an interview with Dave himself.

AJ said he turned down 200k from TNA and last year he made more than that in the first 6 months of 2014 just with New Japan. That's like 400k in one year and you need to add the money he gets from Ring of Honor and the indies... and he isn't cheap. A few months ago his agent f'd up and wrote on his site he was making "$ 8000" for two show in RevPro and I'm sure that's lower than he charges other promoters who book him very rarely.

I bet he's making good money thanks to Prowrestlingtees and Bullet Club royalties, plus every time I've seen him in the UK he's surrounded by dozens of fans and he charges 10£ for a picture, 25£ for a t-shirt and so on...

I could be wrong, but I think he makes around 600k.

As far as Anderson goes, don't forget that Japanese companies take care of taxes and so they pay people more than they actually get paid. I think Danielson explained it in Jericho's podcast or somewhere else. Anderson probably makes about 200/250k after his taxes and he said 600k just to have fun.
trufreedom

Post by trufreedom »

If NXT is in the market for both trainers and samoa joe-like talent that can draw indy fans, I'm surprised we haven't heard about them sniffing around Christopher Daniels. Surely that's the best way to get two birds stoned at once.
dark patriot

Post by dark patriot »

jordidebaas wrote:I think it would make a really big challenge to find a logical way to book that match without booking Kyle vs. Cole in a loser leaves town soon thereafter
probably right just thought itd be a way for Kyle to dismantle the Kingdom while using Taven possibly leaving in an interesting way.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

I wonder if this Masada booking is a one time thing or could lead to more?
JustSkiff

Post by JustSkiff »

JTCole wrote:I wonder if this Masada booking is a one time thing or could lead to more?
Either way I'm a fan of it.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

dark patriot wrote:
jordidebaas wrote:I think it would make a really big challenge to find a logical way to book that match without booking Kyle vs. Cole in a loser leaves town soon thereafter
probably right just thought itd be a way for Kyle to dismantle the Kingdom while using Taven possibly leaving in an interesting way.
You could have Taven offer to do so in his own arrogance. Maybe Taven vs. Kyle is booked but Cole destroys Kyle earlier in the night, but Taven wants to get a pinfall win over Kyle to humiliate him or move up in some sort of rankings (maybe Kyle has a title shot of some sort coming up?), so he arrogantly offers to put his career on the line to get Kyle to take the match, so Kyle accepts and winds up winning anyway.
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

That could be a good way around it.
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Is Taven gone for sure? I hope it's not like the last fucking time he "left".
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:Is Taven gone for sure? I hope it's not like the last fucking time he "left".
We won't know till after March unless he officially announces something beforehand. Plus he can still work for ROH without a contract.
Fawrules

Post by Fawrules »

Maybe for the best that he leaves and goes with Bennett, seeing as he was quickly getting lost in the shuffle before joining The Kingdom.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

I hope he stays because he's very talented. I am concerned though that Delirious would give him an unwarranted "Fans, Matt Taven has turned over a new leaf" face turn, which would leave him dead in the water.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

I'd love for a scene you see in movies. where the protagonist is told to meet a mysterious person in a parking garage for information pertaining to the antagonist.

I want Kyle O'Reilly as the protagonist, Adam Cole as the antagonist, and Matt Taven as the mysterious person.

Doesn't require anything physical from Taven, either. So you can keep him in storylines, but provides a different twist.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

TYFDK wrote:I'd love for a scene you see in movies. where the protagonist is told to meet a mysterious person in a parking garage for information pertaining to the antagonist.

I want Kyle O'Reilly as the protagonist, Adam Cole as the antagonist, and Matt Taven as the mysterious person.

Doesn't require anything physical from Taven, either. So you can keep him in storylines, but provides a different twist.
Perhaps this would happen in a tangential existence where Cornette still produced the vignettes.

Taven is not among my favorites in ROH, but one has to very much worry his position without Bennett. When not given a clear direction, he tends to just haunt the TV Title scene which helps no one. His work in the ring has become solid (enough so for him to be a worthwhile tag worker), but he has not improved in presence and has only barely gotten over during these past few years. I think an honest attempt to team Taven and Cole could complement one another; he does have potential if he can find the right character, though it can be said that we have been waiting for this for a number of years.

And I may have just convinced myself that I am very ambivalent of Taven staying in ROH, probably as much as when Ciampa was still here.