Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
dhads7161

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by dhads7161 »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:If you listen to Mike Elgin's promos, you will hear the most insecure man in wrestling today.
Must have a small cock.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Apparently, during a recent Reddit AMA, Jay Lethal shot down rumors that he had received an offer from WWE (take that for what it's worth).
borklaser

Post by borklaser »

***Next week we will also begin announcing the stars of New Japan Pro Wrestling that will appear at Ring of Honor’s 14th Anniversary weekend! The annual spectacular will without a doubt get the world talking. Be sure to check back to www.rohwrestling.com to find out which amazing athletes will be taking part***
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

WHG wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
So what? He shouldn't have to win SOTF to get a rematch. Every champion always gets a rematch, just to ensure that the new champ's win wasn't a fluke. That's how it has always been.
Except Davey Richards was the last guy to get a one-on-one rematch for the World Title after losing it...so it's been more than 3 years and 5 title reigns since "always" in this case.
On the VOD for the Florida show, Kevin Kelly mentioned that Jay Briscoe is, in fact, entitled to a rematch.

And yes I did dig up a post from two months ago just to prove that I was right. Welcome to the internet.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Most likely Kelly being a clueless idiot as always.

Steen got his rematch by winning a 4-way for a title shot at State of the Art (vs. Cole at GW 2014).
Briscoe got his when he beat Steen at The Golden Dream (vs. Cole vs. Elgin at FB 2013).
Cole won SOTF 2014 to get his rematch (vs. Jay at FB 2014).
Elgin won SOTF 2015 to earn his (vs. Lethal at WK10).

Obviously, they're not "true" rematches since the former champion isn't facing the guy who beat him for the belt, but you get the idea.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
Big Red Machine

Thelone wrote:Most likely Kelly being a clueless idiot as always.

Steen got his rematch by winning a 4-way for a title shot at State of the Art (vs. Cole at GW 2014).
Briscoe got his when he beat Steen at The Golden Dream (vs. Cole vs. Elgin at FB 2013).
Cole won SOTF 2014 to get his rematch (vs. Jay at FB 2014).
Elgin won SOTF 2015 to earn his (vs. Lethal at WK10).

Obviously, they're not "true" rematches since the former champion isn't facing the guy who beat him for the belt, but you get the idea.
You're forgetting that said Kevin Steen vs. Jay Briscoe match at The Golden Dream was also for Jay Briscoe's "real world title," and the reason for this, as well as the "winner gets into the title match at Final Battle) stip was because the originally scheduled match was Cole defending the ROH World Title against Steen in what was billed as Steen's rematch.
Cole had to win SOTF because he had been pinned by Elgin in the 4-way title match at Field of Honor.
Elgin's rematch was being put into the 4 way at the Anniversary Show.
These things weren't always direct rematches, but the idea of the rematch was always used to insert someone into the title picture, and the guys who didn't get direct one-on-one rematches were both on the kayfabe outs with company at the time.
trufreedom

Post by trufreedom »

ROH has been in existence for 5,041 days.
Jay Briscoe has held the ROH world title for a combined 375 days, and the ROH tag team championship for a combined 807 days.
Jay Briscoe has held gold 23% of the time since the company's inception.

Stats.
WHG

Post by WHG »

Well if Kevin Kelly said it on commentary, you must be right.

I wonder what process all of Mike Posey's entourage from TV this week had to go through to get their "manager's license"?
Big Red Machine

trufreedom wrote:ROH has been in existence for 5,041 days.
Jay Briscoe has held the ROH world title for a combined 375 days, and the ROH tag team championship for a combined 807 days.

Stats.
It gets even crazier when you consider that Jay was inactive for about 540 of those days where he didn't have the titles.
Sardonic Artery

Post by Sardonic Artery »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:If you listen to Mike Elgin's promos, you will hear the most insecure man in wrestling today.
Can't think of any off-hand...
I am cosmetically pleasing.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

The Young Bucks
‏@NickJacksonYB
This needs to be done imho! ⬇️
@NickJacksonYB Next Young Bucks task is to bring Hero back to ROH *crossed fingers*
Ladrao12

Post by Ladrao12 »

monster mafia wrote:The Young Bucks
‏@NickJacksonYB
@NickJacksonYB Next Young Bucks task is to bring Hero back to ROH *crossed fingers*
Seriously. Despite Hero's weight, he hasn't lost ANYTHING in the ring, or on the mic. Makes me think it's more about Hero than ROH, cause I can't think of a reason they wouldn't use him the way they do Matt Sydal.
AndyDiaz

Post by AndyDiaz »

Ladrao12 wrote:
monster mafia wrote:The Young Bucks
‏@NickJacksonYB
Seriously. Despite Hero's weight, he hasn't lost ANYTHING in the ring, or on the mic. Makes me think it's more about Hero than ROH, cause I can't think of a reason they wouldn't use him the way they do Matt Sydal.
Ya Hero's had a monster year killing it everywhere he goes.
Leo C

Post by Leo C »

Hero has been awesome indeed, but wasn't the issue that ROH wanted him to sign a full time deal and he didn't want to do it? Not sure his great year is going to make that big of a difference on ROH's stance.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Just read an article about wrestling couples, and it mentioned Ashley Massaro and Matt Hardy's relationship, and then mentioned heat between Hardy and Paul London since London started dating her shortly after the breakup.

The article then mentioned that later on, Paul London refused to work an angle with Hardy in ROH.

Does anyone know anything about this? I'm on mobile so I can't really post the link, but I can't really see how London would've fit into the Hardy/Cole storyline.
GardenStateSaint

Post by GardenStateSaint »

trufreedom wrote:ROH has been in existence for 5,041 days.

Stats.
You should also factor in that he wasn't around from August 2004 until February 2006.
Tomato cans don't stand a chance.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

Meltzer on Observer Radio:

- As predicted, the big money deal the Bucks got is causing ROH problems, as other guys who have been there longer now feel like they should be getting more, and ROH isn't able to give them raises because so much of the talent budget is now earmarked for the Bucks. reDRagon's contract has expired, Elgin's contract has expired, and Lethal, Bennett, Maria, and Taven's deals are all up soon. TNA is said to be reaching out to some of these people, as they want surprises and new faces for the Jan 5 POP debut. Why any of them would go to TNA I can't imagine.

- Dave says the Tokyo Dome ROH title match is a weird deal, because you have a guy whose deal is almost up against a non-contract guy. Dave seems to think Elgin will win, but I very much doubt that.

- Dave is very dubious of AJ Styles' claims that he'll be 100% for Final Battle and the Tokyo Dome.
WHG

Post by WHG »

Dave's opinion that Elgin is going to win is really odd to me and makes me wonder how in touch with the product he is.

I'm not sure WHEN exactly Lethal's contract is up, but he's been advertised for at least the shows through January and is on a poster for the PPV in Vegas in Feb. and the SCOH poster in April. The posters don't always mean anything, but they modified the SCOH one to take Maria & Bennett off (Taven is still on it, by the way).

To me, if they don't get Lethal re-signed, they're going to look for a transitional champion to get them to Cole, who by all accounts is probably here through the end of 2016. If they're going to do that with a non-contract guy, then Styles makes much more sense than Elgin. Cole beating Elgin for a 2nd time (and then creating 4 2-time champions) would be really flat.

I don't think they're in that big a rush to get the title off of Lethal though and I could see them simply building to a heel vs heel match with Cole on the next PPV to get the title off him if they need to.

I love Dave, but he tends to get narrative-happy on this stuff. Remember when a year ago all of the talk was about ROH's financial concerns. He ran with that for the first 4 months of the year and then never mentioned it again. All we saw all year was investment in talent, production, and running more shows. I highly doubt that they didn't have a broader talent plan when putting the Bucks deal together. ROH has had a really incredible run of retaining guys, though. Eventually some are going to leave regardless of what they did with the Bucks.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

I agree Dave thinking Elgin will win is a sign of Dave not being terribly in touch with the ROH product.

I can believe that the Bucks deal has caused some issues, but I think the TNA stuff is likely to be more a case of talent using TNA to try to leverage better deals from ROH as opposed to any of them actually wanting to go to TNA. Dave does mention that TNA is not looking for guys tied in to NJPW, as there is no relationship there.

The only people I really think might be done in ROH after FB are Bennett and Maria, but I guess we'll see.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

People wanting Buckslike contracts was bound to happen, ROH should be smart and not give those type of contracts to everybody.