Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
WHG

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by WHG »

I'm probably in the minority here, but I really like Roddy getting the title and thought it worked out well. If Lethal was going to lose the TV title while still the World Champion, having him lose it to a midcard up-and-comer weakens the World Champion too much.

Roddy is credibly one of the best wrestlers in the world and the way that they had him win it...after failing a couple times at the World title, I thought kept Lethal strong. Roddy doesn't necessarily need the TV title, but him winning it keeps it elevated in my mind. Roddy should absolutely lose it to a younger guy who's ready for the next step, but I like this transition. It was also an out for the quest that Roddy had been on for the last year.

Commentary is a different story. I noticed the "he's not that far from the ropes" comment too. Nigel is great on color, but sometimes he says stuff that would be good shoot analysis but doesn't protect the guys (talking about how dumb they are for pausing during a match after a dramatic sequence or kick out, talking about how unusually exhausted O'Reilly was during the ASE main event when Lethal had already competed earlier, etc...). I like his style so much I just accept it, though. It also challenges the talent to not put themselves in a position to be called out for logic holes, etc...

The lack of a callback to Roddy beating Lethal for the title before was just not good. Should have been a focus of commentary or even the video package before the match.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

Burnside wrote:Did they even mention this is the second time Roddy's beaten Lethal for that belt?

I don't really understand putting the belt on Strong anyway. He didn't need the rub, and his reign feels flat and I'm guessing will be transitional. But a new babyface like Castle or Hanson taking the belt off Lethal could have been a star-making moment.
Having Strong fail for the world title twice before winning the TV title was necessary to avoid the "why should I be happy with the TV title when Lethal's holding the World title?" argument. And I don't know if you can put Hanson or Castle in that main event three match program and keep up the same amount of quality and hype that they did with Strong.

With the year everyone knows Strong is having, putting the belt on him transitionally keeps it prestigious enough that someone new will still get a decent rub and avoid complications with Lethal's double belt situation.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Northwoods_Nightmare wrote:
Burnside wrote:Did they even mention this is the second time Roddy's beaten Lethal for that belt?

I don't really understand putting the belt on Strong anyway. He didn't need the rub, and his reign feels flat and I'm guessing will be transitional. But a new babyface like Castle or Hanson taking the belt off Lethal could have been a star-making moment.
Having Strong fail for the world title twice before winning the TV title was necessary to avoid the "why should I be happy with the TV title when Lethal's holding the World title?" argument. And I don't know if you can put Hanson or Castle in that main event three match program and keep up the same amount of quality and hype that they did with Strong.

With the year everyone knows Strong is having, putting the belt on him transitionally keeps it prestigious enough that someone new will still get a decent rub and avoid complications with Lethal's double belt situation.
You could similarly have avoided these complications by putting the belt on someone who isn't Roddy.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

All this "the year Roddy is having" stuff doesn't really wash at this point in my opinion. I don't thinking he's "having" that year anymore. He peaked in August and has been pretty flat since then.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Roddy’s loss of momentum probably has more to with his loss of protection rather than working at a lower rate (which has happened—his first half of the year was a bit of a marvel and difficult for anyone to maintain). His character no longer has a mean streak now that he has settled for the TV Title and is again cutting his particular brand of promos.

However, I still think it’s fantastic that ROH was able to contract Roddy and have him as the successor to Lethal’s TV Title reign, despite the overwrought program between the two. He remains ROH’s best choice of possible TV champions.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

Sardonic Artery wrote:Also, despite Roddy's great year, I'm still disappointed that Lethal's lengthy TV title reign got jobbed out to him. Face a champion enough times and you, too, can get lucky and hold a title eventually. Story of Roddy's career.
I thought they went 1 -1 -1. Or am I forgetting one of their matches? If not, a .500 percentage would mean both guys are evenly matched, not one guy dominating another. Now if it's 0-17 like Roddy's previous world title shot percentage, then yeah. But this isn't the same situation at all.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

2 - 1 - 1. Lethal defeated Roddy in a TV Title Match in Dearborn in the Winter Warriors Tour.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Burnside wrote:I don't really understand putting the belt on Strong anyway. He didn't need the rub, and his reign feels flat and I'm guessing will be transitional. But a new babyface like Castle or Hanson taking the belt off Lethal could have been a star-making moment.
I get the idea that they didn't want to job the world champion to a midcarder they never tried to build up (*), which is why I was never on board with this double champion gimmick in the first place.

(*) Well, they did with ACH and to this day, I'm convinced he was winning the title at ASE6.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
isles11

Post by isles11 »

I wasn't watching when the feud happened, and basically all I've seen of it is a video on YouTube, with Cabana rapping, but did his feud with Homicide really start because Colt called him "nizzle"?
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

Thelone wrote:
Burnside wrote:I don't really understand putting the belt on Strong anyway. He didn't need the rub, and his reign feels flat and I'm guessing will be transitional. But a new babyface like Castle or Hanson taking the belt off Lethal could have been a star-making moment.
I get the idea that they didn't want to job the world champion to a midcarder they never tried to build up (*), which is why I was never on board with this double champion gimmick in the first place.

(*) Well, they did with ACH and to this day, I'm convinced he was winning the title at ASE6.
Agreed on ACH. Thank goodness he missed his flight if that was the plan. We would have missed out on the awesome Briscoe/Lethal feud and BITW match.
WHG

Post by WHG »

Northwoods_Nightmare wrote:
Thelone wrote:

Agreed on ACH. Thank goodness he missed his flight if that was the plan. We would have missed out on the awesome Briscoe/Lethal feud and BITW match.
ASE6, in addition to being a great show, was a pretty fateful event. I've often wondered if ACH not showing (and possibly spoiling a planned TV title change) played into the decision to pull the trigger on the World Title change. By all accounts that was a pretty last minute call. Had ACH won the TV title that night and Elgin retained (just before being detained at the border), the creative of the company would have been drastically different between then and now.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Rolling Stone just published an article on Dalton Castle:

http://www.rollingstone.com/sports/feat ... r-20151203
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

Why is nobody talking about the coloring book.

DRAW COOL TATTOOS ON THE BRISCOES.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Honestly enjoy the weird merch ROH puts out. Would love to buy a car charger or shot glass.
Sardonic Artery

Post by Sardonic Artery »

Does anyone actually own a replica belt? That just seems odd to me.
I am cosmetically pleasing.
Sardonic Artery

Post by Sardonic Artery »

Are they seriously doing no Decade at Final Battle because Corino is hurt?
I am cosmetically pleasing.
Leo C

Post by Leo C »

Sardonic Artery wrote:Are they seriously doing no Decade at Final Battle because Corino is hurt?
Wouldn't surprise me, pretty sure they wouldn't do anything important without Corino.
KL_

Post by KL_ »

Nigel said BJ Whitmer won't be at Final Battle, Adam Page won't be at Final Battle..... but he didn't said anything about Colby Corino. Hmmm...
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Wonder if Colby will be in TPT?
JustSkiff

Post by JustSkiff »

When does Colby leave for Z1?