Random ROH Thoughts Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
monster mafia

Re: Random ROH Thoughts Thread

Post by monster mafia »

kingdom is a great tag team!
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

JTGrasby wrote:
trufreedom wrote:I feel like I have to be the one to say, on record, to balance out the hate.

I actually really like both Mike Bennett and Matt Taven, especially as a tag team. It took a long time for both to grow on me but I really like them both, great heels.

I dunno, maybe when you guys are skipping your matches, it'll ease the sting if you can think, meh, this ones for Trufreedom.
I agree.

I like them as a team. Individuals? not so much, but as a team and with Maria as their manager they're really good. It's rare for heels to actually be heels too, something you get less and less of in wrestling in 2015.
Eh, it's that type of heel heat where it's less "I want to see you get your ass kicked" and more "I don't want to see you at all". It's satisfying seeing Maria and Cole get what's handed to them because they're good heels, less so Taven and Bennett.

Although I'm surprised to see a few people here that this might not be the case with. Shame it's not translating to the live shows where their cheap heat attempts so rarely generate actual cheap heat.

ON THIS DAY *crickets*
Last Real Man Hype
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

Marketh. wrote:
Eh, it's that type of heel heat where it's less "I want to see you get your ass kicked"
Does anybody in ROH actually have that type of heel heat? Maybe Adam Page?
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Whitmer I would say.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

Thelone wrote:Whitmer I would say.
I thought of saying "Page and Whitmer" but I'm not sure about Whitmer. The "please retire" stuff (which I think is fucking obnoxious, incidentally) is more "go away" heat than anything else, I think. But Whitmer probably is about as over as a heel as anybody in ROH right now.

They do have some very hateable babyfaces though.

Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

Burnside wrote:
Marketh. wrote:
Eh, it's that type of heel heat where it's less "I want to see you get your ass kicked"
For me, I'd say it's fun seeing guys like Lethal, Cole, Truth, The Addiction and Page get what they deserve. I'll put it this way: I enjoy them, but would still boo them if I saw them live. To me, that's a good heel.

If I saw Bennett and Taven live, I'd probably be checking Facebook during the heat segment of their match.
Last Real Man Hype
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

On the subject of The Kingdom, Michael Bennett is now a trainer:
@beyondwrestling 48m48 minutes ago
IMPORTANT: Mike Bennett is the new head trainer at the RWA Chop Shop. Email Contact@RWAwrestling.net for into! http://fb.me/41Z7Jq321
I believe Biff Busick was the previous trainer, but since he's going to WWE, the spot was open.
IchaelMelgin

Post by IchaelMelgin »

The guy I would boo with the most passion at an ROH show would be Silas Young. I'm an effeminate weirdo and that gimmick is ON POINT
STITCHES

Post by STITCHES »

Burnside wrote:
Marketh. wrote:
Agreed. I did really like Outlaw Inc. Wish that wasn't so short lived. WGTT also, maybe? Even the Kings of Wrestling.

With everyone else, I feel like your frustration starts to turn towards whoever's idea it was to create the storylines. Like, "yeah, I didn't buy any of that shit, but I guess I have to because these guys are the heels today."
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

Outlaw Inc. were the embodyment of go away heat
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

I felt bad for Kingston. Clearly between the fans, Homicide and ROH, he was the only one who knew what the gimmick was supposed to be but Homicide not giving a shit about anything and the terrible booking just ruined them.
Last Real Man Hype
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Burnside wrote:I thought of saying "Page and Whitmer" but I'm not sure about Whitmer. The "please retire" stuff (which I think is fucking obnoxious, incidentally) is more "go away" heat than anything else, I think. But Whitmer probably is about as over as a heel as anybody in ROH right now.
Eh, I can see "please retire" being considered go-away heat, but I'm the kind of guy who thinks that apathy, crickets and chanting random stuff is the current go-away heat.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

Whitmer gets good heat, at least when he's on the mic. Maybe not as much in the ring, but his heel character has really stepped up a notch since the injury. When he gets booed for five minutes straight so loudly that he can't get one sentence out, even when Mark Briscoe asks the crowd on multiple occasions to let him talk, it's definitely more than "go away" heat.

Matt Hardy had "go away" heat to start, but by the end of his run had turned it into good heat through excellent promos and character work. I would even argue that Haas was able to do something similar.

The reason Taven and Bennet can't seem to get good heat is because their heel characters suck.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2015/0 ... wer-agent/

Voices of Wrestling did an article on Bill Behrens (including quotes from him) and, in an exclusive scoop, they said that Bill Behrens revealed to them that The Addiction will be appearing in New Japan's annual World Tag League in November/December.
Ladrao12

Post by Ladrao12 »

Northwoods_Nightmare wrote:Whitmer gets good heat, at least when he's on the mic.
When I read that I immediately thought of the night after Best in the World this year. He goes to cut a promo and the crowd relentlessly boos him, so much he can't get a single word out. He spent about 5 minutes repeating the same sentence and stopping, while Kevin Kelly is practically screaming at him to get the promo out. Good times.
STITCHES

Post by STITCHES »

Thelone wrote:
Burnside wrote:I thought of saying "Page and Whitmer" but I'm not sure about Whitmer. The "please retire" stuff (which I think is fucking obnoxious, incidentally) is more "go away" heat than anything else, I think. But Whitmer probably is about as over as a heel as anybody in ROH right now.
Eh, I can see "please retire" being considered go-away heat, but I'm the kind of guy who thinks that apathy, crickets and chanting random stuff is the current go-away heat.
Agreed.

Kinda sucks people are chanting please retire at BJ Whitmer. Wasn't his first match in like 2000? When you consider the careers of other veterans, that's not very long ago.
GardenStateSaint

Post by GardenStateSaint »

Jay Lethal has been ROH World TV Champion for 547 days. This reign has surpassed the ROH World Championship reign of Nigel McGuinness at 545 days which makes it the second longest title reign in ROH history, behind Samoa Joe's ROH World Championship reign of 645 days.
Tomato cans don't stand a chance.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

Bound for Glory drew only 280 paid so ROH fans can laugh at every ROH show this year so far outdrawing TNA's WrestleMania.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

JTCole wrote:Bound for Glory drew only 280 paid so ROH fans can laugh at every ROH show this year so far outdrawing TNA's WrestleMania.
I saw that on Twitter but I've not seen it from an even half reputable source yet. The original person who tweeted that too had a lot of anti-TNA remarks on his Twitter timeline so I can only assume he was trying to troll. The show looked to have drawn maybe 2,000 or a little less, which is pretty good for TNA tbh.
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

Is sabin ever going to return to action in ROH?
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer