Takeshi Morishima

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
monster mafia

Takeshi Morishima

Post by monster mafia »

NOAH official website has announed that Takeshi Morishima will be retiring.

The reason is that his doctor told him to retire.

Morishima got blood test and the doctor told him that the result of the test is bad.

So Morishima decided to quit this business.

Best Morishima match in ROH?
supersonic

Re: Takeshi Morishima

Post by supersonic »

A key figure in elevating the ROH Title especially once he got in the ring with Danielson.

While not quite as over as was hoped, the man put together many years of terrific matches that translated incredibly well in front of an ROH audience.

It is quite ironic, if not poetic, that he hangs up the boots while his greatest opponent's health is also in question.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

monster mafia wrote:Image

NOAH official website has announed that Takeshi Morishima will be retiring.

The reason is that his doctor told him to retire.

Morishima got blood test and the doctor told him that the result of the test is bad.

So Morishima decided to quit this business.

Best Morishima match in ROH?
First and last match against Bryan.
boourns

Post by boourns »

His match vs. Shingo is one of the most underrated title matches in ROH history. Best of luck to him.
Tim

Post by Tim »

I loved the Shingo match, but as far as underrated title matches go, my favorite non-Danielson match was Morishma/Albright.
ICHIFUJI

Post by ICHIFUJI »

Tokyo Sports press reports retire because of diabetes.
He lose weight 350lbs to 300lbs but HbA1c still high.
Sandy Fork

Post by Sandy Fork »

The blood test isn't the main reason he is retiring. As people pointed out that only proved that he's an in-risk diabetic.

But he has A LOT of nagging injuries that refuse to heal, mainly in his right shoulder and left knee. That combined with the diabetic scare and it is understandable that he's hanging up the boots.
PeoplesChampion

Post by PeoplesChampion »

Noah F'ed up his recent run.he lost in global league finals to nagata,then beat kenta for the belt,then lost the belt to nagata?
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

He’s had a prosperous career—I hope he is at least proud of what he’s done.

Morishima as the ROH world champion may not have been all it could have been, but his reign is the metonymy of Gabe’s predilection for freshness and sudden change. His run as the “monster” world champion convinced me that ROH was capable of having “type” non-technical wrestlers working at the top of the card.

Although I’m saddened to see him retire (especially since NOAH was in declension as soon as he returned), his career lasted quite a long time considering his size. I hope ROH’s history books keep memory of his work as time goes on
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

DieHard

Post by DieHard »

His feud with Bryan is probably one of my fave feuds, ever. Amazing storyteliing, their matches were megical.
Last edited by DieHard on Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MOOSE!
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

Man, I loved Morishima's run in ROH. Coming in and winning ROH title in his second night; the awesome feud with Danielson; the rare ability to come of as a big monster but also put smaller guys over in a believable manner; and a lot of really good matches.
I always wished he would return for the rematch he never got.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

Wilson wrote:He’s had a prosperous career—I hope he is at least proud of what he’s done.

Morishima as the ROH world champion may not have been all it could have been, but his reign is the metonymy of Gabe’s predilection for freshness and sudden change. His run as the “monster” world champion convinced me that ROH was capable of having “type” non-technical wrestlers working at the top of the card.

Although I’m saddened to see him retire (especially since NOAH was in declension as soon as he returned), his career lasted quite a long time considering his size. I hope ROH’s history books keep memory of his work as time goes on
Eh, it could be argued whether the Morishima reign was actually good for ROH. I'd still argue that Bryan or Nigel should have been champ instead at the time.
Tim

Post by Tim »

ROH still hasn't mentioned this on their website, Facebook, or Twitter. Not cool.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Tim wrote:ROH still hasn't mentioned this on their website, Facebook, or Twitter. Not cool.
they dont mention jimmy jacobs too...weird.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

His match with CC was awesome too!
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

It's been clear for a long time that injuries have caught up with him. He's been a shell of the monster in ROH for years. Good to see he's putting his health first.
PoyzunTiiiger

Post by PoyzunTiiiger »

Damn this sad news. Glad hes putting his health first but man he was awesome. Morishima's reign is one of the more underrated reigns in ROH and one of the last epic reigns to end correctly and complete a full story. Morishima's in-ring skills were badass too he was like the Anti-Samoa Joe. While Joe was an athletic big man who hit hard and did technical wrestling with a bit of high flying Morishima was a huge brawler who destroyed his opponents in less than 20 minutes with the Back Drop Driver (which everyone on the indies immediately copied)

His matches after his ROH World Title reign ended were great too. The Necro/Shima Dream Match at a New Level is an forgotten gem, and of course the match at Final Battle with AMDRAG was a classic but don't ever forget the NOAH vs. No Remorse Corps 6-man match where Shima, Shiozaki and Marufuji made a human tower in the corner on top of Davey :lol: literally the coolest triple team move i've ever seen.

Really gonna miss Morishima wish ROH could have brought him in a few more times. We never got to see Shima vs. Davey Richards or Tyler Black or El Generico unfortunately.
nihogg

Post by nihogg »

damn
but it is great to know the the performers who put their bodies on the line to entertain us know when to draw their limits
Wish him nothing but the very best; and hope he remain healthy :D
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

PoyzunTiiiger wrote:We never got to see Shima vs. Davey Richards or Tyler Black or El Generico unfortunately.
There are so many dream matches for him it's just ridiculous.

Low Ki vs. Takeshi Morishima
Chris Hero vs. Takeshi Morishima
Chris Sabin vs. Takeshi Morishima
Prince Devitt vs. Takeshi Morishima
Paul London vs. Takeshi Morishima
James Gibson vs. Takeshi Morishima (not counting a dark match)
Jay Lethal vs. Takeshi Morishima
Matt Sydal vs. Takeshi Morishima
CM Punk vs. Takeshi Morishima
Tyler Black vs. Takeshi Morishima
Adam Cole vs. Takeshi Morishima
El Generico vs. Takeshi Morishima
AJ Styles vs. Takeshi Morishima
Davey Richards vs. Takeshi Morishima
Eddie Edwards vs. Takeshi Morishima
Alex Shelley vs. Takeshi Morishima
Jimmy Jacobs vs. Takeshi Morishima
Michael Elgin vs. Takeshi Morishima