ROH in NJ?

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
grcenter47

ROH in NJ?

Post by grcenter47 »

I haven't followed ROH in a while because I was pursuing my master's degree and just started getting back into it as of the start of the new year. I was wondering why Ring of Honor stopped coming to NJ. They used to come all the time in Edison and I believe the last show they did in NJ was in Rahway. Are the venues they have been going to lately the only ones they only visit?
Northwoods_Nightmare

Re: ROH in NJ?

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

Do you get the TV show in New Jersey? It seems like they are focusing on TV markets and the traditional big cities like Chicago and New York.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Northwoods_Nightmare wrote:Do you get the TV show in New Jersey? It seems like they are focusing on TV markets and the traditional big cities like Chicago and New York.
Unfortunately we don't.
grcenter47

Post by grcenter47 »

we don't get it in NJ unfortunately. The only way I keep track of it is through the ROH site, youtube, messageboards, magazines, and buying the DVDs haha

NJ is strange because ROH didnt draw as well as I would expect it to.
GardenStateSaint

Post by GardenStateSaint »

The Rahway Rec Center is a building that draws. I'd like to see them return there but I'm not holding my breath.
Tomato cans don't stand a chance.
fireal687

Post by fireal687 »

Sadly the Inman sports club didn't draw after a while. Last two shows there were awful. Boiling point would've drawn more if the went through with KENTA vs Strong. But that was when he got injured. I feel the rexplex in Elizabeth drew better than the Rec center. It drew really well because because it's not far from NYC also. I would rather have shows run around secacus because it's right by the city.
fireal687

Post by fireal687 »

Plus management was getting pissed because a few times damage happened at the venue, and the angle when the hangman 3 attacked Albright and the cops came.
dark patriot

Post by dark patriot »

well when they ran the Rexplex,they werent running NYC so im sure that was a big part of the draw.

it was sad to see the inman club go from being packed (Id say 1000 or so) for final battle 2005 to less than 400 for their last show there.
grcenter47

Post by grcenter47 »

I forgot which show it was but the last one I went to at Inman Sports Club where Strong wrestled Butcher the crowd was silent
fireal687

Post by fireal687 »

The crowd slowly started falling fast after ring of homicide. Mostly because it became more known and the casual fans were walking in, instead of the hardcore fan base of wrestling. Edison drew when that czw angle went down, mainly because of being able to get there easy from philly.
GardenStateSaint

dark patriot wrote:it was sad to see the inman club go from being packed (Id say 1000 or so) for final battle 2005 to less than 400 for their last show there.
It's tough to compare a show with Danielson vs. Marufuji & Low Ki vs. KENTA against a show with a last minute lineup change and zero title matches.
fireal687

Post by fireal687 »

It is somewhat tough but later shows during the milestone series actually drew even better than that loaded Final Battle.
GardenStateSaint

fireal687 wrote:Sadly the Inman sports club didn't draw after a while. Last two shows there were awful. Boiling point would've drawn more if the went through with KENTA vs Strong. But that was when he got injured. I feel the rexplex in Elizabeth drew better than the Rec center. It drew really well because because it's not far from NYC also. I would rather have shows run around secacus because it's right by the city.
The Rahway Rec Center is located very close to a train stop, super easy coming out of NYC.
fireal687

Post by fireal687 »

the rec center is half a block from the train station. and rexplex was a nice half hour drive from ny. both had good reasons why they drew well. but idk, its odd but the only company that draws in the rec center is JAPW.
BTW10

Post by BTW10 »

fireal687 wrote:but idk, its odd but the only company that draws in the rec center is JAPW.
PWS draws an easy 1,000 each show.
fireal687

Post by fireal687 »

Pws does draw well there because of its massive outside talent. If I'm correct ROH didn't draw the numbers it should have.
GardenStateSaint

ROH should be able to hit 1,000 fans in that venue. I know the last show in 2012 didn't draw so hot but I can't see that same turnout three years later.
fireal687

Post by fireal687 »

GardenStateSaint wrote:ROH should be able to hit 1,000 fans in that venue. I know the last show in 2012 didn't draw so hot but I can't see that same turnout three years later.
I partly agree, I don't recall the show being advertised well. Plus the product wasn't booked well around that time anyways. We had the death of [cornette]. I feel ROH ends ir begins era accidentally in NJ for some reason. Milestone series started in Edison, homicides first title defense, Nigel's epic title win, gabes last show with ROH, and most recently cornette leaving. NJ has a rich history and really needs to come back. I wish they'd run asbury park during the summer tbh