Sexist fans

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Embracejg

Sexist fans

Post by Embracejg »

This is a plea for fans at Chicago Ridge events--and all ROH events--to stop with the sexist, gamergate style comments and actions.

During the last two Chicago Ridge shows, I've seen two incidents of male fans acting like complete pigs towards Scarlet Bordeaux.

-At the show last fall, two guys in the bleachers kept yelling "SIT ON MY FACE" at Scarlet during quiet times between matches.

-This past weekend, an overweight guy in glasses and a green shirt got Scarlet's attention by waving at her. She waved back, and as soon as she did, the guy started rubbing his chest and flicking his tongue at her. She just turned away without acknowledging it.

ROH fans should be and are better than this. Boo heel female characters all you want, but making disgusting sexual overtures towards them? That's way out of line, and I for one won't stand for a great wrestling community being brought down by a couple of scumbags.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Re: Sexist fans

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

I agree. Unfortunately these assholes are paying customers. Because they are no threat to the wrestlers and Scarlet we have to live with their piggish behavior. We can police it ourselves up to a point, but I've seen brawls amongst the fans and nobody wins in that scenario. We can take comfort knowing the friendly gesture from Scarlet is the closest this jackass will ever get to a real woman his whole life.
whitemisawasweater

Post by whitemisawasweater »

I thought the dude rubbing his nipples was pretty darn funny but I could see why it would be offensive.

you're right....
Sardonic Artery

Post by Sardonic Artery »

You're right. I'm gonna do these same things to the Beer City Bruiser to keep things balanced.

(But yes, we agree.)
I am cosmetically pleasing.
LigerSword

Post by LigerSword »

Don't forget the time a fan was leaning so close to Maria's ass with camera he was damn near close to falling over the barricade. Yeah her sex appeal is part of the reason she's here, but even most strip clubs wouldn't stand for that shit.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Leave it to Sardonic Artery to put things in perspective.
Embracejg

Post by Embracejg »

For the record, I was the guy who yelled "SIT DOWN, YOU VIRGIN" at the rubbing nipples guy. He meekly did so, so while beating these idiots up isn't an option, but calling them out and shaming them tends to work. And it's entirely appropriate to do that.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

LigerSword wrote:Don't forget the time a fan was leaning so close to Maria's ass with camera he was damn near close to falling over the barricade. Yeah her sex appeal is part of the reason she's here, but even most strip clubs wouldn't stand for that shit.
The dojo students aren't threatening bouncers I suppose.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Ah, yes. Dojo students of the past such as Mitch Franklin and Sugarfoot inspire fear in the hearts of men everywhere.
damasta414

Post by damasta414 »

Oddly enough they only seem to do that at the ROH Chicago Ridge shows. When Scarlett is at AAW in Chicago she seems to be treated with more respect. Given that they serve alcohol at AAW and not Chicago Ridge you'd think it'd be the opposite.
Sandy Fork

Post by Sandy Fork »

damasta414 wrote:Oddly enough they only seem to do that at the ROH Chicago Ridge shows. When Scarlett is at AAW in Chicago she seems to be treated with more respect. Given that they serve alcohol at AAW and not Chicago Ridge you'd think it'd be the opposite.
AAW is a more intimate atmosphere. Most likely the same fans coming to every show. So the atmosphere/culture is probably very different. Like PWG in a sense.
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

That could be it. At a ROH show you have the almost-anonymity of being a jackass protected by the fact maybe only the people in your section will know it was you who said that. The smaller the show, the more likely everyone there is going to tell it was you and the more likely you'll be embarrassed if your joke bombs or you get called out on it.
Last Real Man Hype
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Definitely agree with your main point, but it's one of those things that unfortunately exists and will never change. I remember watching The Ear of Honor Begins and some of the other early shows for the first time back in late 2010 and being completely ashamed of the rampant homophobia in the crowd. But after a few minutes it just kind of hit me that I could either let it get in the way of me enjoying the show, or I could tune it out and try to enjoy myself.
As someone said earlier: these are paying customers, and so long as they are no threat to the wrestlers, it's really not something you can do that much about because where do you draw the line? Is making obscene gestures wrong but yelling for Jimmy Rave to die okay?
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

Big Red Machine wrote:Definitely agree with your main point, but it's one of those things that unfortunately exists and will never change. I remember watching The Ear of Honor Begins and some of the other early shows for the first time back in late 2010 and being completely ashamed of the rampant homophobia in the crowd. But after a few minutes it just kind of hit me that I could either let it get in the way of me enjoying the show, or I could tune it out and try to enjoy myself. As someone said earlier: these are paying customers, and so long as they are no threat to the wrestlers, it's really not something you can do that much about because where do you draw the line? Is making obscene gestures wrong but yelling for Jimmy Rave to die okay?
It WILL change, though. If you watch the first 10 minutes of The Era of Honor Begins, you'll realize that bullshit would never happen today. So that's clear evidence of positive change.

And the "rampant homophobia" in those early shows was not just "in the crowd" - ROH presented a blatantly gay-bashing and misogynist angle as the opening segment on their very first show. There's a reason they now pretend Jay Briscoe vs Amazing Red was the first match.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Burnside wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:Definitely agree with your main point, but it's one of those things that unfortunately exists and will never change. I remember watching The Ear of Honor Begins and some of the other early shows for the first time back in late 2010 and being completely ashamed of the rampant homophobia in the crowd. But after a few minutes it just kind of hit me that I could either let it get in the way of me enjoying the show, or I could tune it out and try to enjoy myself. As someone said earlier: these are paying customers, and so long as they are no threat to the wrestlers, it's really not something you can do that much about because where do you draw the line? Is making obscene gestures wrong but yelling for Jimmy Rave to die okay?
It WILL change, though. If you watch the first 10 minutes of The Era of Honor Begins, you'll realize that bullshit would never happen today. So that's clear evidence of positive change.

And the "rampant homophobia" in those early shows was not just "in the crowd" - ROH presented a blatantly gay-bashing and misogynist angle as the opening segment on their very first show. There's a reason they now pretend Jay Briscoe vs Amazing Red was the first match.
Gay-bashing? Yes. Misogynist? No. Danger got assaulted because she was a lesbian, not because she was female. Let's be fair here.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

It was capitalizing on the standard ECW "Yeah! Kill that bitch!" reaction. A male manager getting beaten up would never have gotten that reaction. They knew what they were doing . In 2002 the core of ROH's base was still displaced ECW fans.

Although ROH was never an ECW clone, you can definitely see Gabe and Feinstein doing some things on the early shows that are designed to play into the expectations of those fans.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

I think that's always been a cheap Gabe booking plan. If I remember correctly didn't he have Sweeney order Bobby Dempsey to rape an unconscious Allison Danger?
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

Yeah, and again you'd never see something like that today. So there is definite progress. It's slower than it should be, but you can't say "This will never change."
LigerSword

Post by LigerSword »

Big Red Machine wrote:
Burnside wrote:

Gay-bashing? Yes. Misogynist? No. Danger got assaulted because she was a lesbian, not because she was female. Let's be fair here.
You do realize homophobia and misogyny are basically cousins rather than two completely seperate phenomena, right?
Sardonic Artery

Post by Sardonic Artery »

Wrestling has never been leading the way in terms of exploring the complexity of race, sexuality, and gender issues. Of course, there are also those great moments of fans chanting "USA! USA! USA!" at two Canadians...

That said, could you have imagined if the E had the guts to do the New Day gimmick based on heated race issues? There could have been all kinds of great "Why are you making us the bad guys, America? Do you not see the truth in what we have to say" promos. But nah, it would've been bad and insensitive, so it's probably for the best.
I am cosmetically pleasing.