An opinion from the bleachers: Why Joe V Elgin was a 5 star

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
whitemisawasweater

An opinion from the bleachers: Why Joe V Elgin was a 5 star

Post by whitemisawasweater »

Spoiler: show
There are certain matches in wrestling that become greater than the match itself.
Joe V Elgin was not simply about the return of Samoa Joe or heel run of Elgin because Joe V Elgin was about wrestling's vast history, the internet's vast knowledge of the sport and a firm welcome to fans who have felt dissociated from pro wrestling since the deaths of our most beloved.
The moves and moments of this match tell it's own story unique to pro wrestling and 5 star matches.
Joe pulled out a manami roll of the great manami toyota, Joe swung elbows like Misawa and ended it with a sleeper suplex a la mode kenta kobashi. The choke was a beautiful added touch for it was the only move Kobashi would not take in Joe V Kobashi(A 5 star match)
Elgin hit a dead-weight German suplex a la mode Kota Ibushi from his 5 star vs nakamura.
Elgin hit a standing powerbomb into a pin ala mode Kawada.
Elgin hit a german onto the turnbuckle which mimicked Kobashi's powerbomb to Joe in Joe V Kobashi.
Elgin did not tap but instead passed out ala mode bret vs austin(5 star match)
Most importantly however, was the acceptance of their roles as performers and their willingness to give the fans what we wanted.
Joe hit his ole ole kick and it felt as though it was because we demanded it.
Elgin hit high flying moves in an attempt to become over as a face. Elgin even went as far to hit a double stomp ala low ki, a top rope splash ala all the cruisers that have faced Joe.

Even the small things were important in this one.

Joe hit a dusty elbow near the middle to foreshadow the dusty finish.
The end came abruptly and as a shock because we had seen someone come back on the count of three for the knock out.
it left us wanting more and all classics have this achievement.

It was a well thought out and well executed match.
In retrospect it was a 5 star match.

An instant classic.
Sandy Fork

Re: An opinion from the bleachers: Why Joe V Elgin was a 5 s

Post by Sandy Fork »

So it was a five star match because they spent majority of the match hitting other people's signature moves?

Doesn't sound 5 stars, bro.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

I'm all up for matches harkening to other matches--especially if they are done well--but I shall reserve my judgment until I see it on VOD. As anyone who has seen shows live to only revisit them via broadcast, the earmarks of a broadcasted great match are made up from the stories of the wrestlers, the commentators, the bookers, camera direction, and the acoustics of the arena. Sometimes moves seem larger than life during attendance but hold less potency when broadcasted. To effectively harken back to other classic matches, there are plenty of variables that lie outside of the wrestlers' purview for them to control. It's practically miraculous if a match were to really cast the redolent spirits of familiar classics which span all throughout the broadcasts of great wrestling.

Although I am sure this will be a good match. People have been speculating this matchup since his Elgin's breakout contest with Davey in 2012. I can't help but feel that if this match were to take place three years ago I would be very open to your remarks that Elgin/Joe ranks among the ***** mark.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

Yeah, from reading the twitter consensus it seems that most thought it was around ***3/4. More power to you if you loved it though.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

Don't get me wrong, it was definitely a good match but nowhere near 5 stars. Most of those moves are regular parts of these guys' movesets (a few recently added by Elgin, this weekend maybe?) and are somewhat common elements. There was not a Dusty finish, it was about as clean a finish as you can get.

Nice connection to a lot of previous wrestlers that these guys are obviously influenced by though.

I'll say that Elgin's double stomp to the back looks nasty. After the stomp itself he follows through and sits down on his opponent's back just crushing them into the mat.
damasta414

Post by damasta414 »

This guy is on bath salts. This was a 4 star match tops. Great match but definitely nowhere near 5 stars.