Briscoes to the WWE?

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
DXvsNWO1994

Re: Briscoes to the WWE?

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

AssShooter wrote:
Ladrao12 wrote:ROH to make announcement at Noon EST about the Briscoes future. Sounds like they've re-signed, for sure.
No way they would have said they were on their way to the WWE, especially when they are still under contract for a couple of months.
So, yes, they have signed a new contract.
Yeah, this had to be saying they've signed a new contract. Would make no sense for ROH to announce they're leaving two months before hand.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

@jaybriscoe84 is also back on twitter.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

From ROH's Facebook Page:
The Briscoe Brothers have been with Ring of Honor "since day one," and now, ROH can confirm that the Briscoes are here to stay!

Jay and Mark have nearly thirty years of combined experience between the ropes , have traveled the world, and have earned many championships along the way. Jay Briscoe is in the midst of an incredible second run as World Champion, a feat accomplished by only two men in the entire history of ROH, and together, the Briscoes hold the record for ROH Tag Team Championships with eight amazing reigns.

The Briscoes built their legacies in Ring of Honor and for Dem Boys from Sandy Fork, there's no place like home...and no place like Ring of Honor.
AssShooter

Post by AssShooter »

To sum up :
ImageImage
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

The description of that video says that the new contract is for two years.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

I wonder if the "takeover the booking clause" it´s true or not.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

great news!
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

Adam Cole ‏@AdamColePro
Just when I thought I was having a good day...
WHG

Post by WHG »

I'm glad they publicly announced this to end the speculation, but it's actually amazing how much bigger a signing this looks like given the thinking that they were WWE-bound. If they announced this out of the blue 3 mos ago, it would have been a minor footnote and everybody would be thinking/saying "of course they re-signed." Honestly, this rumor (and the likely truth behind it) made the Briscoes far more valuable perceptually than they'd be if it had never happened.
MAXAKASINNER

Post by MAXAKASINNER »

I was hoping they'd be on their way out, hate Jay but surprisingly like Mark. I may be in the minority.
DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

monster mafia wrote:great news!
"Money kept, is twice as good as money burned
And money won, is twice as sweet as money earned"
DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

from this week's Wrestling Observer newsletter found at- www.wrestlingobserver.com

regarding the Briscoes...

Another aspect of the offer is that they will likely be going on multiple New Japan tours, which also pay better than the WWE offer.
"Money kept, is twice as good as money burned
And money won, is twice as sweet as money earned"
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

I was very happy to see that news! So many possibilities with The Briscoes in New Japan. Should be a lot of fun!
Nigel LikesGuinness

Post by Nigel LikesGuinness »

Fantastic news!
Sandy Fork

Post by Sandy Fork »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:I was very happy to see that news! So many possibilities with The Briscoes in New Japan. Should be a lot of fun!
Meltzer uses that in every article that is about negotiations and ROH.

Don't count your chickens before the eggs hatch regarding the Briscoes in Japan.
MrSaturn

Post by MrSaturn »

So, now that they're staying, who's gonna beat him for the belt? Before this, Jay Lethal seemed to be a lock, but I don't know anymore. Lethal would have been the obvious choice if he left that way they can transfer Briscoe's momentum to him, but having Lethal win would just be a mistake. In my opinion, having Briscoe drop the belt to O'Reilly in a surprise would be much better for a number of reasons.
1. O'Reilly is ready right now
2. A babyface has to take the belt off of him because a heel doing it would be anticlimatic (plus, there is probably going to be some interference if a heel beats him and that would just be a huge waste
3. Fish has been hinting at challenging for the belt and him losing would set-up a future match with O'Reilly. Plus, KRD and two monster heels in the form of Elgin and Moose would be excellent underdog rivalries for O'Reilly
Sandy Fork

Post by Sandy Fork »

O'Reilly isn't ready.
Ladrao12

Post by Ladrao12 »

I still think Lethal is next to hold the World Title. I don't see anyone else who validates as one of the top guys. It's Lethal, Styles and Strong. And given the situation of Styles, and the realistic possibility ROH would put the belt on Roddy a 2nd time, I think Lethal is next.
WHG

Post by WHG »

O'Reilly as a talent/performer is absolutely ready, but he's not even close from a booking/storyline perspective. I still think Lethal is the best option. He's an exclusive contract guy (which matters) who is on the run of his life and can carry what he's done with the TV title into a World title reign. Lethal ending the streak adds to his legacy, so I think everything is still aligned for this to happen. That allows you to heat up O'Reilly and slow him to win some of these singles matches that he's been losing...or position Cole to get the title back...or whatever else they want to do. Cole can't win the belt directly from Jay IMO.

The only other viable option I can see to take the title from Jay is after Styles drops the IWGP title (likely to Okada in July) he gets a long-awaited shot...maybe at Field of Honor?...and wins it. The issues with that, of course, are his Non-contract status and the fact that it completely wastes Jays streak on a guy who gains nothing from beating it.

Lethal is still the answer for me.