Meltzer; ROH are in preliminary talks with Spike TV & AXS

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
The Dragon Saga

Meltzer; ROH are in preliminary talks with Spike TV & AXS

Post by The Dragon Saga »

The company has been in preliminary talks with both AXS and Spike. I don’t know how serious either are, past the point that they, in fact, both have taken place. ROH made a pitch to AXS and I don’t know that anything happened from there, as it’s nothing anyone is talking about. My impression is AXS is happy with New Japan. AXS, when it was HD-Net, aired ROH from 2009 to 2011, when HD-Net opted not to renew the deal. With Spike, the sides are talking right now although it’s premature to say they are serious, since key people in both companies weren’t even aware of the talks, but we have since gotten confirmation that talks are taking place. The idea would be a Friday night show that would air about once per month, with Spike having a regular rotation of Bellator, Glory, Al Haymon’s boxing and pro wrestling. That would be a big coup for exposure, since Spike is in 83 percent of the country and Sinclair Broadcasting syndicated stations make up 37.5% of the country (ROH has a few non-Sinclair stations so they are in close to 40%).
This is also a good example of Meltzer correcting himself or when hearing rumors, looking into things before completely disregarding it. Obviously, "preliminary" means don't get overly excited, but with Samoa Joe adding another name with some star power to the team, big events like this Sunday's 13th Anniversary, Supercard of Honor, the NJPW shows and whatever PPV they have planned for NYC all coming up, if ROH can build some momentum and continue creating buzz, who knows, maybe we could be getting a monthly Ring of Honor Wrestling on Spike TV. Hell, I'd even take AXS.
ZTStyles

Re: Meltzer; ROH are in preliminary talks with Spike TV & AX

Post by ZTStyles »

The idea of a monthly special on Spike sounds interesting, but honestly I think AXS would possibly be the better idea on paper. You could use the successful New Japan show to help cross-promote the ROH show since the companies have a working relationship already, plus AXS would be more likely to give ROH a bigger window for live specials (with probably frewer commercial interruptions to boot) and allow ROH to truly be ROH.
Check out the An Honorable Mention podcast... I voice stuff on it!
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

What percentage of homes is AXS in? More or less than SBG?
The Dragon Saga

ZTStyles wrote:The idea of a monthly special on Spike sounds interesting, but honestly I think AXS would possibly be the better idea on paper. You could use the successful New Japan show to help cross-promote the ROH show since the companies have a working relationship already, plus AXS would be more likely to give ROH a bigger window for live specials (with probably frewer commercial interruptions to boot) and allow ROH to truly be ROH.
Ok, so it should be said here that in the NJPW section, Dave says that while Josh Barnett is telling people NJPW on AXS will be renewed for a second season, Meltzer's been told that there are no plans right now. But that AXS and Ashai TV in Japan are in-talks about programming, so who knows what will happen. However, should be said, if ROH can choose between AXS or Spike, it's Spike TV every day of the week. Much bigger accessibility than AXS and Sinclair, while Sinclair is much more bigger than AXS.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

If anybody gets on AXS I think it would be Jarrett since he's responisble for NJPW's U.S. PPV distribution.
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

Didn't it come out that this report was BS?
The Dragon Saga

YimYac wrote:Didn't it come out that this report was BS?
Meltzer said on the forums that ROH had talks with Spike TV, but that was it, this is his updated report so he obviously dug into it and found out more info. Mike Johnson said he asked and couldn't find anything out, but as it says above, there were key guys in ROH who didn't know anything about it so the discussions were obviously quiet. But the key point is, according to Meltzer, ROH and Spike TV are in-talks.
Lemo

Post by Lemo »

Thats great news
MAXAKASINNER

Post by MAXAKASINNER »

Doesn't SBG own ROH? Why would they allow it on another network considering that they are a TV company anyhow?
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

MAXAKASINNER wrote:Doesn't SBG own ROH? Why would they allow it on another network considering that they are a TV company anyhow?
To have more people to watching the show, it´s no competicion for them because it´s another day and i am more SBG will be promoted on Spike.
WHG

Post by WHG »

From listening to Joe Koff's interviews the last couple weeks, SBG is putting a greater emphasis on original content and the launch of the American Sports Network changed their outlook on syndication. ASN has been making deals to expand the viewership of their college football product, and that opened the doors for ROH to explore deals outside of SBG. Not sure if it was something that they previously weren't allowed to do or just thought they shouldn't approach.

From a more forward-thinking business perpective, it makes complete sense to try to do this. You vastly increase exposure for your product, which would help promote the SBG show. In addition, it's a revenue stream that (as the WWE & TNA have shown in different ways) has been the single most important to American wrestling companies in this era.

I still doubt anything happens...but I hope to god it does.
AssShooter

Post by AssShooter »

I hope something happens with Spike TV but only if we never ever see King Mo or Rampage Jackson in an ROH ring and they don't try to change the direction of the show.
ImageImage
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

MAXAKASINNER wrote:Doesn't SBG own ROH? Why would they allow it on another network considering that they are a TV company anyhow?
Because Spike would pay them. Potentially rights fees from a monthly live special on Spike could be more lucrative for SBG than ROH's PPVs are.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

AssShooter wrote:I hope something happens with Spike TV but only if we never ever see King Mo or Rampage Jackson in an ROH ring and they don't try to change the direction of the show.
Both are better than Moose.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Burnside wrote:
AssShooter wrote:I hope something happens with Spike TV but only if we never ever see King Mo or Rampage Jackson in an ROH ring and they don't try to change the direction of the show.
Both are better than Moose.
Sad, but true.
The Dragon Saga

Watch Moose vs. ACH from Atlanta and then get back to me. I've been converted into a Moose fan. Dude's always improving.
DieHard

Post by DieHard »

Moose is not bad at all.
MOOSE!
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

moose rules!
ROHFan25

Post by ROHFan25 »

Yeah I seriously don't get the Moose hate at all. He's green. But he's clearly athletic and has good presence. He has potential and he's nowhere near as bad as people say he is.

It's the same thing when people say Bennett sucks. If you don't do flashly moves or work a technical style, you'll be disliked. If Tanahashi thinks Bennett is a good worker and wants him pushed in NJPW, he's probably a real good wrestler. Just an example of blind hate.
The Dragon Saga

What I liked about Moose against ACH is he just fucking dominated him. He reminded me a lot of a young Brock Lesnar.