Who could be the next ROH World Champion?

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
isles11

Re: Who could be the next ROH World Champion?

Post by isles11 »

I think whoever beats jay loses to Cole, and then Cole finally gets the pitfall victory over jay.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Burnside wrote:I actually think Jay Briscoe is a very solid choice at the moment although he hasn't been booked very well as champ. But he is super over, has a ton of charisma, can cut a money promo, and can deliver strong in-ring work although he's rarely been positioned to do so as champ. Considering he wasn't supposed to beat Elgin, and then wasn't supposed to retain over Cole, but ended up doing both due to extenuating circumstances he has done a very good job.

In terms of who is next, I think you've got three options:

Jay Lethal - Doing the best work of his entire career right now. He and Martini are a main event heel act. They definitely seem to be slow building toward a Lethal/Briscoe match; whether Lethal gets the belt remains to be seen but I'd be fine with it.

Adam Cole - Still one of their strongest talents and the closest thing they have to a total package. Apparently they intended to put the title back on him in December. There are some questions: what will his physical status be, how long do they have him under contract, and do they have something new in mind for him for a second world title run?

Kyle O'Reilly - Feels like a long-shot right now, but to me this is who they should be looking at long-term as the next centerpiece guy. At 27 he has the youth, he's probably the best in-ring guy they have under contract, he has decent size, and he can talk. I would pull the trigger on him sooner rather than later because they will not be able to hold on to him forever. Also, there's only so much more you can do with reDRagon and Bobby Fish is 38 years old.

Ciampa's character needs to be rehabbed yet again because he doesn't have the credibility and he has been horribly booked pretty much continuously since coming back from the knee injury. I do think he can get there, but they need to stop fucking him up. He's not ready yet, even though he could have been by now if they had booked him coherently.

Elgin is much better now but you just can't go back to him yet because the fiasco is still too fresh in everyone's minds. Another year probably.
I agree with a lot of what you said, Burnside. Briscoe doesn't need to lose the World Title immediately, and I think Jay Lethal is a really strong candidate. They've had very few interactions since Lethal turned heel.
Sardonic Artery

Post by Sardonic Artery »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
Sardonic Artery wrote:I think Elgin is better now than he's been in a long while.
Are you ready for another run with him as world champ? I agree that he's been more...tolerable, but I'm not in anyway ready for him to be champ again.
After seeing him raise the belt during the last TV show, no, 'm not.
I am cosmetically pleasing.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

Despite being in the main event this weekend, Elgin seems like an afterthought.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Everyone in this match seems like an afterthought, which is why no one cares and it's only like the fourth or fifth biggest match on the card.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
AndyDiaz

Post by AndyDiaz »

Whatever happedn to AJ having a thorn in his side? lol
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

AndyDiaz wrote:Whatever happedn to AJ having a thorn in his side? lol
There's an old wives tale that says IWGP Title's are the perfect home remedy for thorns in sides.
Sardonic Artery

Post by Sardonic Artery »

Not Joe. Not with his temp contract (so, so happy they didn't cut off Lethal's reign to a temp El Patron).
I am cosmetically pleasing.
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

don't care who, but sb take the belt off Briscoe ASAP.
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
Sandy Fork

Post by Sandy Fork »

Keep the belt on Briscoe for awhile.
Ladrao12

Post by Ladrao12 »

I would keep the title on Briscoe until at least Best in the World. From there, at that show, if they wanted to do a title change to Lethal or Cole (given he's back), that would be fine.
Lone Wolf

Post by Lone Wolf »

Ciampa if booked right down the line, do not really want to see Cole with the title but it is a strong possibility. Do not mind Jay with the strap for the time being.
TMCWDOProject

Post by TMCWDOProject »

I don't see how anyone else could be considered except for Lethal. I'd even keep the TV Title on him f he were to beat Jay Briscoe. And I definitely think that change should happen at the aptly named "Best in the World". That would be a perfect moment for Lethal. I also think they should keep him heel. He could drop the TV Title in a two falls triple threat match at some point, to keep the TV Title strong to the new champion
lariat_tubman

Post by lariat_tubman »

Am I the only one who thinks whoever ends Jay's streak and the next world champion should be different people?

The way I see it whoever would benefit from ending the streak wouldn't be ready to be world champion, and whoever will be the next champion is already over enough to not need the the accomplishment in their ROH resume.

I think they could somewhat recreate what happened with Cole pinning Richards at the 10th Anniversary with Briscoe. Give it to a young guy in 'shocking' fashion to help push him into the upper mid-card/main event.
BlackLesnar

Post by BlackLesnar »

Ciampa.

Which ROH seems to be getting behind as their next big Title chase angle.

Which means he probably won't win it until 2017 and after everyone's already long since soured on him.

Re AJ: he commands too high a price tag at the moment to be at as many shows as a World Champ should. Both parties are presumably waiting for his NJPW run to cool off a little, it's better for AJ's longevity and better for ROH's checkbook.

Don't know what everyone's problem with Elgin's reign was. It produced better matches than Cole's, and than he'd had in a while. He's since developed some more personality and officially turned heel - you might as well put it on him again if people hate him so darned much.
I'm gonna be at the top of the mountain in three years, with or without this belt. I'm gonna be the best that ever lived. And what you don't understand is, even if I don't get that far, at least I had the courage to get off my ass and try.
BlackLesnar

Post by BlackLesnar »

lariat_tubman wrote:Am I the only one who thinks whoever ends Jay's streak and the next world champion should be different people?

The way I see it whoever would benefit from ending the streak wouldn't be ready to be world champion, and whoever will be the next champion is already over enough to not need the the accomplishment in their ROH resume.

I think they could somewhat recreate what happened with Cole pinning Richards at the 10th Anniversary with Briscoe. Give it to a young guy in 'shocking' fashion to help push him into the upper mid-card/main event.
This is why I had a sliver of hope the title would change hands on Sunday. If any champion were to lose the title without being pinned, it's Jay.
I'm gonna be at the top of the mountain in three years, with or without this belt. I'm gonna be the best that ever lived. And what you don't understand is, even if I don't get that far, at least I had the courage to get off my ass and try.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

lariat_tubman wrote:Am I the only one who thinks whoever ends Jay's streak and the next world champion should be different people?

I think the streak should be broken FIRST, to set up a title challenge. I've been saying that for a while.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Burnside wrote:

I think the streak should be broken FIRST, to set up a title challenge. I've been saying that for a while.
I concur with Burnside. In light of the 13th Anniversary show the streak is more irrelevant than ever. End the streak already.
lariat_tubman

Post by lariat_tubman »

Burnside wrote:

Completely agree with that, but the only person I can think of who would hugely benefit from the win and be a realistic world champion is Ciampa (with a little better booking)
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

lariat_tubman wrote:
Burnside wrote:

Completely agree with that, but the only person I can think of who would hugely benefit from the win and be a realistic world champion is Ciampa (with a little better booking)
Yes, that would be the smart money.