From Colt 45’s collection: ROH Final Battle 2008

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Colt45

Post by Colt45 »

Let me begin the review by explaining some pretext. While I’m no longer an avid professional wrestling fan, I still have love for the ROH, and Indy Wrestling in general. I won’t lie by saying I keep up with the current product and have never left Ring of Honor’s side, but in truth the new stuff just doesn’t do it for me. Maybe I’ve cooled down on wrestling as a whole, or maybe the current scene just lacks the characters that I’ve always been drawn to. Please don’t take my current lack of enthusiasm as a slight on what we all consider great hobby and company. With this in mind, please note I am simply looking to review and discuss what some around here call the Good Shit, and nothing more.

I chose to bring Final Battle 2008 into the equation for a few reasons. First, it was a glaring hole in my collection. While I consider my ROH DVD collection to be well rounded in some capacity, it only spans from 2003 to 2009 with heavy focus on the ‘golden period’. Having taken a break from the product because of college, I quit buying ROH DVD’s sometime early in 2008. I had many left to collect and had amassed what the ROH veteran’s would likely consider the best shows of that year. That was except the ‘golden cow’.

Anyone who currently collects old ROH DVD’s knows how wonky the market is. These things don’t have a set value and are priced based on word of mouth, and ebay comparison. If one were to look at collecting all of the Final Battles, 2008 would likely be the glaring omission, as it was in mine. That brings me to the second reason for choosing Final Battle; I got it for cheap!

Omega vs Castagnoli – This was the epitome of a perfect opener. Kenny was considered a rare live underdog in what I consider a ‘predetermined sport’. I did not see the upset happening as Claudio was really beginning to come into his own vs Dragon earlier that year, and losing to Omega would seem in theory a step back. However, the finish was well protected and keeps CC looking strong. Solid ***

Hero vs Lynn vs Necro Butcher vs Titus – This seemed kind of thrown together at first but came out pretty fun akin to other Final Battle four ways. You had Necro playing the gritty bruiser, Lynn the veteran, and Hero as the most dangerous guy and heel. While at first seeming out of place, Titus held his own and added a humorous element to the match. For a match featuring four very different workers, it meshed well especially Lynn and Hero. Again a solid *** affair.

Steen & Generico vs Jacobs & Delierious – This was good match but nothing extra ordinary. Mostly served as a vehicle for AOTF storyline. Still anytime you put these guys together it served as a *** match.

Sweet & Sour vs Albright, Strong, Stevens – Here’s case of a street fight doing what it should. Never getting too complex, this brawl boiled down to tough dudes in jeans beating the shit out of each other. Seriously there was so much denim in this match you would think this was a staged presentation of Roadhouse. Luckily, to counterpoint the solid yet unspectacular faces were three workhorses in The American Wolves and Go Shiosaki. The heels bounced all over the ring for the larger face team, and made Albright and Stevens looks worlds better for it. Great weapon centered contest that only set up the violence that would occur later. ***1/2

Sasaki & Nakajima vs Briscoes – Another awesome tag match. Love the Briscoes promo where Jay doesn’t even know the name of the current Japans GHC heavyweight champion. “Oh you brought your Sensei or whatever?” This match embodied the concept of two bull teams just going at it. Nakajima and Sasaki meshed incredibly well with one another, and with the Briscoes, creating a combination of stiffness and aerial assaults. Unlike his previous matches in ROH, Sasaki looked, and wrestled like the big deal he is. Everything the Japanese star did whether it was a simple striker or suplex had incredible impact. Probably one on my favorite tag matches of the year, as I’m a sucker for those inter promotion/ inter country dream teams. ****

Black vs Aries – For me this was a match about Aries losing his step and finally meeting his athletic equal. Black looked better everywhere, and had Aries’ number until Jacobs cost him the match. I can see this interruption being a big letdown considering the action was getting there, but it set up the perfect double cross that would soon follow. I still give it **** all things considering.

McGuiness vs Marufuji – This match had a lot to live up to if comparing to their 2006 encounter. These two giants waste little time and pick up right where they left off two years earlier. This contest was also aided by the drama of Nigel physically breaking down under the wear and tear of his demanding reign as champion. Coupled by the fact that Marufuji already beat him, this was what I think the crowd considered a live title defense. Marufuji pulled out all stops including a Shiranui on the apron, multiple head kicks, and a wicked coast to coast. Nigel gritted this one out, and still true to his heel character, managed to take a proverbial shit on the crowd in the process. **** action.

Danielson vs Morishima – The main even had so hype much to live up to. A possible ***** match in the first encounter, an amazing follow-up at Man UP in 2007, and two other fun 1v1 scraps that ended in DQ. Anytime Morishima & Dragon got into it was pure unadulterated violent gold. This main event felt like it had the big time Final Battle aura, but what Dragon and Morishima wrestled was simply another physical match just with a little steel chain action in between spots. The problems with this match are minimal and mostly stem from the chain itself. Aside from some sloppy prop use, the violence was there in spades including the ultra stiff clothlines and head drops we know and love. Maybe the other fights felt more physical because they were wrestled under regular rules, but this one under delivered just a little bit. Still ****, just not the classic blow off some people like myself kind of expected.

Final Thoughts of Final Battle: Honestly this wasn’t best show ROH has ever put on, and probably not the best show of 2008, but is still one of the better installments to the Final Battle series. While numerous matches matched expectations, and in some cases exceeded, it was the main event that ultimately didn’t deliver. Yes it was good, and yes the right guy went over, but out of the Dragon vs Morsihima series, the Fight Without Honor was probably their third best match. Another thing this Final Battle lacked was that big ‘Go Home’ moment we've kind of come to expect. In 04 we had the end of Joe’s unstoppable reign. In 2005 we had Kenta vs Ki in a dream match. In 2006 we saw the great American Dragon become a mere mortal and Homicide finally achieve his dream. While better than 2007, 2008 just doesn’t make history like it’s price tag would insinuate. Had Gabe booked it, I think it would have been booked a little tighter, and the moral among the wrestlers a little stronger. Still, I consider this one of more important cards in ROH's history, and a fine addition to any serious collector's library.

Overall rating ****.
Aedr0th666
Donator
Donator

Re: From Colt 45’s collection: ROH Final Battle 2008

Post by Aedr0th666 »

This is one of my all time favorite ROH event as a whole. The show flow great and build to the violent main event payoff. When the worst match on a show is *** you know you got a keeper!
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Keep this up.
Lemo

Post by Lemo »

Loved this dvd.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

More of these?