Growing concerns about NXT?

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Mr. Mojo Risin

Re: Growing concerns about NXT?

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

The biggest threat to NXT is Vince. If he starts meddling in the booking, it's flavor of the month appeal is over.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:The biggest threat to NXT is Vince. If he starts meddling in the booking, it's flavor of the month appeal is over.
Yes. If and when Vince notices that NXT is a thing, he will quickly ruin it. That is definitely the single biggest threat to NXT.
BTW10

Post by BTW10 »

Burnside wrote:But what happens if people start perceiving NXT as an ROH-like product, except with better booking, better production values, and really cheap monthly live iPPVs that actually work?
Perception is reality.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

Thelone wrote:
jordidebaas wrote:The talent pool in the indies is way to deep right now for the WWE to be able to sign away enough people that they won't be able to overcome it
Probably, but I also think that you don't have those "passing the torch" moments that could elevate the new generation to the level of the old one. Just look at ROH and how the current generation is nowhere near the previous one.
I think a large part of that is the indies are more segmented these days and WWE is recruiting from there more actively. If we go with a bath metaphor, instead of less water coming out of the tap the bath has just gotten wider (so water is shallower but the same amount) and the plug hole has got bigger so the water is flowing out quicker and not building up.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

Vince knows about NXT (he watched the whole Mania show) but he leaves it in the hands of Hunter for a reason. Now the monthly live shows thing is probably his idea but he's just thinking about how to make the Network more appealing for long term customers. But he's not going to start booking it, he's got enough on his plate.

And the monthly shows isn't a guaranteed bad idea. They will be less special I'll grant you but they should still be filled with great wrestling.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

BTW10 wrote:
Burnside wrote:But what happens if people start perceiving NXT as an ROH-like product, except with better booking, better production values, and really cheap monthly live iPPVs that actually work?
Perception is reality.
Well, technically perception can affect reality, but is not reality itself, which is a good thing. You wouldn't want most categorically insane people's perception being reality. Who wants a reality that requires a straitjacket to deal with it. :)

And NXT is actually *not* working the way it is supposed to: a training ground to push guys once they're ready onto the main stage. Guys like PAC have been there, what, 4 years now? They should have pulled the trigger on him a while ago. Ditto with Sami. If the product in NXT is getting so good it's generating this kind of buzz, then the product shouldn't be toiling here when it can be on national tv and really helping out and making an impact. Make room on it by axing guys that aren't making the grade up there, or if they want to hang on to them and hope they come around, demote them to NXT and repackage them into something that does work. There is no such thing as 'too much talent' on the main roster, and it shouldn't take years to figure out how to fit someone who's ready, in.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

Neville was signed in July of 2012 and made his NXT debut January of 2013. So he was there a bit over two years.

And I don't think Zayn should be brought up yet.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

JTCole wrote:Vince knows about NXT (he watched the whole Mania show) but he leaves it in the hands of Hunter for a reason. Now the monthly live shows thing is probably his idea but he's just thinking about how to make the Network more appealing for long term customers. But he's not going to start booking it, he's got enough on his plate.

And the monthly shows isn't a guaranteed bad idea. They will be less special I'll grant you but they should still be filled with great wrestling.
I'm aware that NXT is Hunter's baby and he deserves all the credit for its' success. However, Vince is still the supreme overlord. It has been well documented in the past that when Vince starts to see something become successful, he has to take control of it and make it his vision (i.e. ECW). Vince never has enough on his plate. He's a workaholic. He also, for better or worse, has tunnel vision. Do I expect him to take over NXT? Most likely not. However, there is always a possibility his ego will get in the way and ruin NXT. That was why I said he was the biggest threat to NXT.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

I'm sure most here know by now but the monthly specials was an error in the press release. It's remaining quarterly.
LJimmy

Post by LJimmy »

BTW, the Briscoes were announced today for the August 22nd stadium show. This is after people were claiming they would be done with ROH and NXT bound by mid-summer. Just goes to show all these stories are B.S. The fact is WWE signing stories are not real unless someone actually shows up to work or if there is an announcement from WWE, the talent themselves or any company they work for.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

http://www.pwinsider.com/article/93125/ ... e.html?p=1
WWE NXT will not be running the former ECW Arena next month. The company has released the holds they had requested for the venue.

I am told that WWE determined the venue was too small and are looking at larger venues in the area. There was discussion among NXT talents a few weeks back that the brand was looking at Temple University for NXT events in the city of Brotherly Love instead.
teterewr

Post by teterewr »

Similar concerns did cross my mind but I'd think no matter what, ROH has an edge in terms of the arena atmosphere
NXT and ROH fans may come from the same pool; but I don't see NXT/WWE giving fans the liberty like ROH does.
Besides starting a fight or charging the ring, ROH fans are pretty much free to do whatever they want to express their fanaticism; not to forget which other promotion in the US allows fans to rain down streamers in the ring :D

And with the current tie up with NJPW seeing alot of Asian talent performing in the US, I have faith that ROH will continue to hold strong!
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

teterewr wrote: not to forget which other promotion in the US allows fans to rain down streamers in the ring :D
PWG. That was an easy one.
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
teterewr

Post by teterewr »

Sorry about my lack of knowledge; my indie experience is pretty much occupied with ROH so I haven't gotten to watch much of other promotions hence the ignorance about what goes on there
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I'm beginning to suffer from NXT overkill.
nihogg

Post by nihogg »

The Owens/Zayn storyline needs to start picking up steam before it loses its buzz
These two can go at it, but the storyline needs to be sustained if it is to reach its potential :/
Leo C

Post by Leo C »

nihogg wrote:The Owens/Zayn storyline needs to start picking up steam before it loses its buzz
These two can go at it, but the storyline needs to be sustained if it is to reach its potential :/
I assume they're going with a long term match series here, so I can understand if they stay away from each other for some stretches of time here and there. It was the case during the KO/Riley/Bálor deal, Sami being off TV after the beat down added to it imo. Also just this last week they had a pretty good brawl to end the show so I don't think there's much to worry about.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

I'd like to see a rematch at the next special, run-ins/staredowns/etc. for the next set of TV, and then some sort of No DQ match at the special after that.

I'm curious what the outcome of this feud will be though, and how I'll feel about it. Logic says Zayn will regain the title in the long run given that he's the babyface. But, another title reign probably means he'll be in NXT for a long time yet. It should keep it intriguing.
It would be a cool callback if they did a "Loser leaves town" stip in the blowoff, but this time Owens wins. Then the final come-uppance for Owens comes shortly after from someone like Balor or Itami who would have been allying with Zayn leading up to his banishment.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

If Bryan is done for good I see them bringing up Zayn and/or Balor sooner than they planned.
AndyDiaz

Post by AndyDiaz »

Northwoods_Nightmare wrote:I'd like to see a rematch at the next special, run-ins/staredowns/etc. for the next set of TV, and then some sort of No DQ match at the special after that.

I'm curious what the outcome of this feud will be though, and how I'll feel about it. Logic says Zayn will regain the title in the long run given that he's the babyface. But, another title reign probably means he'll be in NXT for a long time yet. It should keep it intriguing.
It would be a cool callback if they did a "Loser leaves town" stip in the blowoff, but this time Owens wins. Then the final come-uppance for Owens comes shortly after from someone like Balor or Itami who would have been allying with Zayn leading up to his banishment.
I think they could something where Sami says its not about the title anymore, its personal. Something along those lines could give Sami the last win but not the title. I really don't think he even needs it, his story was that he couldn't win the big, then he did. It was more about the journey to the title then the title itself.