Ciampa, where is the ceiling on him?

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Sandy Fork

Ciampa, where is the ceiling on him?

Post by Sandy Fork »

So, what is the community's opinion on Ciampa?

I personally love the guy's work. He's one of the highlights of the show. But I was more interested in seeing what the rest of you guys think of him, and where do you see his ceiling in ROH being.
monster mafia

Re: Ciampa, where is the ceiling on him?

Post by monster mafia »

he is great, he is a good wrestler and he is really over with the crowd

i expect a big push in 2015 for him
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

It's hard to say what the ceiling is on a person, especially in a place like Ring of Honor, but I think he has found a good place for himself seated in the mid to upper card. His work is not consistent enough nor is he over to the point where he could regularly main event. However, I won't deny that the guy clearly wants to improve and is driven to improve his position in the company.

I think the biggest thing he needs now is to find a meaningful program with an actual wrestler. I can't invest interest in a wrestler who has been in a filler angle for half a year.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

Does ROH have Ciampa under contract or just first pick on his dates. ? If he not under contract he has hit his ceiling, the strong contender that always falls short in the big match. After the Kenny King fiasco I doubt anyone that not under contract is getting a title run.
BlackLesnar

Post by BlackLesnar »

One of the best guys in the company all-around. Fully deserving of the Title, increasingly likely to get it if the attention they've afforded him him since Steen left is any indication. He's being treated like The guy chasing the title, now that Elgin's finally won it, ACH is still early days and they're not pulling the trigger on Kyle yet.

Whether he can be that much more than World Champion like he was implying in those "I want to be The Guy" promos, I don't know. His character has sort of a fringe appeal, it isn't as instantly gratifiable as Cole or Jay.
Memphis Mark wrote:Does ROH have Ciampa under contract or just first pick on his dates. ? If he not under contract he has hit his ceiling, the strong contender that always falls short in the big match. After the Kenny King fiasco I doubt anyone that not under contract is getting a title run.
Presumably they'd ensure he sign one before giving him the Title.
Last edited by BlackLesnar on Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm gonna be at the top of the mountain in three years, with or without this belt. I'm gonna be the best that ever lived. And what you don't understand is, even if I don't get that far, at least I had the courage to get off my ass and try.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

BlackLesnar wrote:One of the best guys in the company all-around. Fully deserving of the Title, increasingly likely to get it if the attention they've afforded him him since Steen left is any indication. He's being treated like The guy chasing the title, now that Elgin's finally won it, ACH is still early days and they're not pulling the trigger on Kyle yet.

Whether he can be that much more than World Champion like he was implying in those "I want to be The Guy" promos, I don't know. His character has sort of a fringe appeal, it isn't as instantly gratifiable as Cole of Jay.
Memphis Mark wrote:Does ROH have Ciampa under contract or just first pick on his dates. ? If he not under contract he has hit his ceiling, the strong contender that always falls short in the big match. After the Kenny King fiasco I doubt anyone that not under contract is getting a title run.
Presumably they'd ensure he sign one before giving him the Title.
I gathered that Ciampa and Alexander were not under contract because they are still taking PWG bookings , but he would have to sign to get a title run ..
Sandy Fork

Post by Sandy Fork »

Yeah I see Ciampa on the top of the list of the next batch of guys to be offered full time deals.
Sandy Fork

Post by Sandy Fork »

Memphis Mark wrote:
I gathered that Ciampa and Alexander were not under contract because they are still taking PWG bookings , but he would have to sign to get a title run ..
He's under a contract, just not the full time type which Cole, the Briscoes, Lethal and Elgin have. Which gives you a full monthly salary.

Ciampa is on the type which offers indy dates but ROH takes priority I guess.

Any mod can merge my posts btw.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

I am fully convinced he'll win the world title at the 13th Anniversary. He'll pin Elgin then main event Supercard of Honor being the one to finally beat Jay Briscoe.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

If he were to stay at this level of wrestler, I think he has pretty much hit his limit. I don't think he is World Title material right at this point.
However, I think Ciampa will really continue to improve and will probably be World Title caliber in the next year or two, which I'm looking forward to. I think the best way to get that improvement would be to put him in a real personal feud with someone already on main event level.
Thinking about it, Cole vs Ciampa would be cool and something for Cole to do outside of the title scene for a while.
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

Northwoods_Nightmare wrote:If he were to stay at this level of wrestler, I think he has pretty much hit his limit. I don't think he is World Title material right at this point.
However, I think Ciampa will really continue to improve and will probably be World Title caliber in the next year or two, which I'm looking forward to. I think the best way to get that improvement would be to put him in a real personal feud with someone already on main event level.
Thinking about it, Cole vs Ciampa would be cool and something for Cole to do outside of the title scene for a while.
Agree with everything you said, give him a grudge feud for half a year or a full year, the guy would be phenominal in a grudge feud environment. Only question: Who would you put him against?
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

Nigel McGuinness
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

I'd turn his feud with Elgin violent.
Fidel Costco

Post by Fidel Costco »

I think Ciampa is awesome. Always enjoy watching him work.

As far as his ceiling? I don't know what the opinion of him is in ROH's office, but with the crowd I think his "Sicilian Psychopath" gimmick needs to be retooled. He needs to be more vicious in his matches.
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

He needs to do the "you hit me, I hit you back" spot less and do the "I hit you, I hit you again, and again until you die" spot more.
Last Real Man Hype
lariat_tubman

Post by lariat_tubman »

What are some feud's he has had since the TV title days? None are coming to mind for me
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

He really needs a strong booker, which ROH doesn't really have at the moment.

The "Ciampa is crazy" angle has taken eight months to go absolutely nowhere.
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

Especially when we already knew he was crazy.

It's reminding me of the "Randy Orton has anger issues!" storyline.
Last Real Man Hype
LJimmy

Post by LJimmy »

He needs to go to WWE and join up with the Ascension.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Sandy Fork, I'm with you, a huge Ciampa fan. However, Burnside makes a great point. Delirious has dropped the ball big time with him. I'm usually not one to rush to judgment and blame the Booker, but it totally applies in this case. First, he beats the shit out of Taven and takes the TV title. I thought we were in for a long reign, but no, for whatever reason he drops it to Lethal. Fine. Then he goes apeshit after losing to Elgin in a world title match. He annihilates Bobby Cruise and anyone else he can get his hands on. Finally, I think, Delirious is going to pull the trigger on this guy. Nope. Like Burnside said, it's an 8 month nowhere angle. Is a heel or a face? Nigel's character has turned into such a douche bag in this angle, it's insulting. A couple of guys have written that they believe Ciampa wins it in the 4 way, but I have zero faith. I would love for that scenario to unfold, but Ciampa has been booked so terribly I don't know if that will ever happen.