Should ROH try to get on Cable?

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Chris Xtreme

Should ROH try to get on Cable?

Post by Chris Xtreme »

With Cable TV being such a boon to WWE and TNA. I wonder if ROH should try to get on cable? Syndication is going to be a tough cookie for them to crack. As syndication isn't what it once was. Cable TV could bring in money if they get a good TV deal. And on the right network they'd get the exposure they badly need.

Of course the negative would be that the Network would have a creative say. And could demand that they bring in "real stars" and change the product in ways some people might not be happy about. Being on the wrong Network could also do some serious damage to ROH.

At this point I am not even sure if a network would take them without improvements in production values. I also expect such a TV deal to be a long time in the making. So the sooner they are able to persue this the better. There is nothing that says that they can't persue new syndication markets and a potential cable TV deal at the same time.

As for what Networks they would be a fit? Well thats tough, since wrestling is a hard sell. My dream senario would be FX but I'd settle for Fuel. Since Fuel is theoretically on the rise with UFC. Perhaps either network could sell ROH ads with the UFC ads ( like Spike does with TNA/UFC). Getting on My Network TV would be nice. But thats a broadcast syndication block. But would get them in a lot of potential homes at least. With perhaps the most freedom ( but MMA start ups have shown that My Network TV is far from a lock to be successful).
syxxpakk

Re: Should ROH try to get on Cable?

Post by syxxpakk »

They wouldn't get a good TV deal is the problem. It's not like they haven't tried. It's even more unlikely now that they're owned by a syndicated TV company.
GardenStateSaint

Post by GardenStateSaint »

Sinclair Broadcasting Group probably wants to continue broadcasting their product on their own affiliate stations than shoot for G4, FX etc etc.
Tomato cans don't stand a chance.
Chris Xtreme

Post by Chris Xtreme »

Since a Cable deal could potentially be a revenue stream for ROH, it would still very much benefit Sinclair. In any case, they are going to have to expand beyond the Sinclair stations for the TV deal to make a difference. I actually think its more likely that they get a Cable deal down the line with Sinclair then without. Sinclair has more credibility with the Networks then Carey.
mulkeybros

Post by mulkeybros »

I would rather have them on Cable, but at least they are in something like 5x the homes they were in on HDNet, and the number of homes they are in seems to grow every couple months or so. It does suck that there isn't a uniform start time for the program. I would think the chances of getting into cable are low now considering who owns them, but perhaps down the line a cable network will make an offer to bring their programming over, benefitting all parties. I never thought they would be owned for a syndicated broadcast company a couple of years ago, so who the hell knows.
Chris Xtreme

Post by Chris Xtreme »

I think it would be great if Syndication worked for them. But its going to be very hard. Since syndication is not what it used to be.

I wouldn't call Sinclair a Syndication company. They own TV stations. I don't really think they syndicate much besides a generic newscast and ROH.
Cheer Up Emo Kid

Post by Cheer Up Emo Kid »

Unless Sinclair buys a cable station, I don't expect to see ROH on cable TV. I thought part of the reason Sinclair bought ROH was to have an in-house wrestling product that they could own and produce and have for their family of networks? Unless that business model changes, they won't be looking for a TV deal outside of their own house.
Chris Xtreme

Post by Chris Xtreme »

Cheer Up Emo Kid wrote:Unless Sinclair buys a cable station, I don't expect to see ROH on cable TV. I thought part of the reason Sinclair bought ROH was to have an in-house wrestling product that they could own and produce and have for their family of networks? Unless that business model changes, they won't be looking for a TV deal outside of their own house.
But its important to remember that this isn't like the Hdnet deal. Where Hdnet didn't benefit from IPPVs and House Shows. Since Sinclair owns ROH, they benefit from everything positive that ROH can bring. If they had a successful TV Show it could bring in TV rights fees. ROH owns Sinclair so it could benefit from that money. I would think that they'd like to have a return on their investment.

Plus, I don't think it would be impossible for them to have a one hour cable series and some type of syndicated programming for Sinclair ( even if it was just a glorified informercial for the House Shows and PPVs). A slot on the right Cable Network could also bring the other revenue streams up ( house shows, PPVs, and Merchandise). And would help them to create stars or position their own stars as bigger ones.

The more I think of it the more I think Fuel would be a good fit. They aren't available in more more then 40 million homes right now. But I think there is tremendous potential for them to grow, now that UFC programming is going to be on the Network. UFC might be powerful enough to leverage Fuel into far more homes. It would probably take a long time for them to get on the station anyway, and by that point Fuel could be in 70-100 million homes.

I would think that Newscorp is looking to really raise the profile of Fuel. They could use some new programming to compliment UFC. If ROH could do close to TNA numbers it could be useful to a network like Fuel. Which could be positioned as competition to Spike TV. While Dana White would not be interested in Co-promoting with ROH, I see no reason why he wouldn't be ok with Fuel airing a wrestling program. Plus Feul could make their sponsors purchase ad time for UFC and ROH as a package. Similar to what Spike has done with UFC and TNA. This would make up for the fact that its hard to sell high profile ads for a wrestling show.
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

They have no history of ratings and thus it would be pointless. WWE used to pay for TV time and showed that they can draw a crowd. TNA didn't get a real shot at TV before certain mainstream names joined them. ROH has neither of that so no.
If you're having any issues with the forum tweet at me Twitter.com/ROH_World
or Fb.com/ROHworld
Chris Xtreme

Post by Chris Xtreme »

Actually, TNA didn't really have that much star power when they first got on Spike. Christain, Sting, and Angle didn't come until later. Jeff Jarrett was their top star from the Monday Night War Era. They started out in a bad timeslot on Saturday night and we're forced to prove themselves. Spike expected them to have more "real stars" but they gave them a chance to aquire them.

That does scare me though.Since I'd hate to see ROH forced to make some of the mistakes that TNA made. But that doesn't necessarly have to be the case. But its not like there are a lot of stars from the past as Free Agents anyway. I know its an uphill battle. Thats why I think they should try now. It might take awhile to actually get on a network. Its really just a matter of getting the right Network at the right time. I think Fuel would be great if Newscorp was open to it.

They can use the ratings they are getting on Sinclair now. And possibly for HDnet. They do have some ratings history.