ROH/New Japan 2015 SuperShows Speculation Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
DXvsNWO1994

ROH/New Japan 2015 SuperShows Speculation Thread

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

For those of you who missed it, during Wrestle Kingdom 9, New Japan ran a video package announcing some of their major shows in the upcoming year. Included in that video was the confirmation that New Japan will indeed be returning to North America for more joint SuperShows with Ring of Honor in May of this year.

I've basically made this thread as a place to speculate on everything surrounding these shows. From talent, to location, to venues, potential cards...the works!

I think it's pretty cool that New Japan included the announcing of the ROH Shows in the same video where they announced the rest of their major shows, like Invasion Attack, Dominion, & The 25th G1 Climax. It shows that they see these shows with ROH as pretty important, which is really good news for the relationship, in my opinion.

As far as talent goes, while it's not a certainty, I think we might see more New Japan Talents come over, simply due to the fact that it's been rumored that there will be more shows this time around. The fact that two back-to-back shows in Toronto were announced by ROH a few months ago probably confirms this. There's also been talk of running one or two more cities besides Toronto & New York (possibly Chicago).

Obviously this is exciting news for Ring of Honor! Honestly can't wait to get tickets when they're released!
bigz38

Re: ROH/New Japan 2015 SuperShows Speculation Thread

Post by bigz38 »

PWInsider is saying they look to be held in Toronto, which as we noted, seemed obvious just looking at them. It would be disappointing if those two were the only location, especially after the earlier report of the expansion.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

bigz38 wrote:PWInsider is saying they look to be held in Toronto, which as we noted, seemed obvious just looking at them. It would be disappointing if those two were the only location, especially after the earlier report of the expansion.
Right, I think we pretty much know that those two shows in Toronto will be a part of this. I can't imagine them going only to Canada and not going to the United States. It's been speculated that they wanted to run in more cities this time around, and I'm guessing PWInsider is probably just going off of the schedule on ROH's website. I imagine more shows will be announced later.

I think what's also interesting to note is that Dominion is being held on July 5th, about two weeks later than it was last year, which (theoretically), gives them the room to run multiple weekends with ROH like last year.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

I... I don't care frankly.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

I don't think we'll be seeing a much larger amount of talent come over, as they just wouldn't all fit on one card anymore. I do hope they will bring a few guys that weren't there last time around, like Ibushi (if his contract with DDT would allow it), Naito, Goto, Shibata. And of course, they have to bring Kenny Omega. Would love to see him vs. Cole.
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
lariat_tubman

Post by lariat_tubman »

Glad they are doing this again. If it is safe to assume that someone from ROH will challenge for the IWGP Heavyweight Title who should it be?
BTW10

Post by BTW10 »

They're not just running Toronto since the return graphic specifically said "USA." NYC doesn't have an announced return so they'll be getting one but I'm not sure where the second US show will be held. MAYBE a return to the Boston area? I would imagine it would have to be somewhat close to NYC unless they do a double shot in NYC which I doubt.
tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

I am interested in seeing
if any new japan talent will be at supercard of honor IX
and whether this will be the starting point of the cross promotion

this would give njpw
some presence/live representation during wrestlemania weekend
and help roh pull crowds and promote the upcoming supershows

I am aware that supercard is about ring of honor
but this is the biggest weekend in pro-wrestling
and it would be foolish not use this to everyone's benefit
It's not easy being the Greatest 7th generation wrestler Of All Time!
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

No chance this happens, but just imagine, Champions vs All-stars with the Bucks, Omega and Styles as the champions :o :o :o
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

Running just Canada would kind of make sense, because apparently visa wise it's a lot easier and cheaper. Not saying if it'll just be Canada, but it would kind of make sense.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

jordidebaas wrote:I don't think we'll be seeing a much larger amount of talent come over, as they just wouldn't all fit on one card anymore. I do hope they will bring a few guys that weren't there last time around, like Ibushi (if his contract with DDT would allow it), Naito, Goto, Shibata. And of course, they have to bring Kenny Omega. Would love to see him vs. Cole.
I'm not necessarily clamoring for double the amount of people who came over for last year's shows. If we got one or two people to come over for these shows who didn't come over last year, I'd be fine with that.

Also, does anyone have a full translation of the video package where they confirmed their return to ROH?
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:
jordidebaas wrote:I don't think we'll be seeing a much larger amount of talent come over, as they just wouldn't all fit on one card anymore. I do hope they will bring a few guys that weren't there last time around, like Ibushi (if his contract with DDT would allow it), Naito, Goto, Shibata. And of course, they have to bring Kenny Omega. Would love to see him vs. Cole.
I'm not necessarily clamoring for double the amount of people who came over for last year's shows. If we got one or two people to come over for these shows who didn't come over last year, I'd be fine with that.

Also, does anyone have a full translation of the video package where they confirmed their return to ROH?
Oh, okay, that should certainly be possible. I'd be fine with Gedo and Jado not coming over in exchange for a few other guys
DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

i have front row for Toronto so i hope some new japan guys are there! last year I know Kojima wanted to be on the NY show because he has family there. maybe Kojima and/or Tenzan would do a legends thing along with a couple other guys
"Money kept, is twice as good as money burned
And money won, is twice as sweet as money earned"
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

I'm hoping for Alberto OR one of the NJPW special attractions gaijin acts (Styles, Bucks, Shelley) to be available at SCOH9. Forever Hooligans and their jet-lagged ***1/4 efforts ain't gonna satisfy someone spending four figures and driving hundreds of miles each way for WM weekend like me.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

supersonic wrote:I'm hoping for Alberto OR one of the NJPW special attractions gaijin acts (Styles, Bucks, Shelley) to be available at SCOH9. Forever Hooligans and their jet-lagged ***1/4 efforts ain't gonna satisfy someone spending four figures and driving hundreds of miles each way for WM weekend like me.
The good news is that Invasion Attack doesn't conflict with WrestleMania Weekend this year (Invasion Attack is on 4/5) so unless AJ Styles is booked elsewhere, and assuming he & The Young Bucks aren't on any "Road To..." Shows, they should be available. Plus with the show being in California, I'd imagine it's going to be the cheapest they're going to get The Young Bucks all year.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Here's hoping. That NOLA roster was so fucking thin and had all kinds of aesthetic issues as I pointed out afterwards.
MHDogg

Post by MHDogg »

Really hoping for Ibushi and Omega to be on whatever joint shows they do.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

Totally wouldn't mind if we got three of Naito/Goto/Ibushi/Nagata/Ishii/Shibata/Kojima instead of the big three this year. That may be just me though.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

DirtyDave wrote:i have front row for Toronto so i hope some new japan guys are there! last year I know Kojima wanted to be on the NY show because he has family there. maybe Kojima and/or Tenzan would do a legends thing along with a couple other guys
Kojima has family in New York? Didn't know that...
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

Nakamura and Okada definitely have to come back after playing pretty major roles last year. Okada main evented and Nakamarua went over Steen. Those merit returns to me.
Last Real Man Hype