ROH/New Japan 2015 SuperShows Speculation Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
AssShooter

Re: ROH/New Japan 2015 SuperShows Speculation Thread

Post by AssShooter »

Burnside wrote:
AssShooter wrote:Delayed iPPV is a good enough compromise.
Not really.
Than nothing ? Yes it is.
ImageImage
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

AssShooter wrote:
Burnside wrote:
AssShooter wrote:Delayed iPPV is a good enough compromise.
Not really.
Than nothing ? Yes it is.
"Better than nothing", yes.

"Good enough", no.

These will be ROH's four best shows of the year. If none of them are available live, it's a joke.

I know some of you have rationalized why it's okay that for the second year in a row ROH failed to put a NJPW joint show on PPV and instead will run a less impressive show on PPV a month later. The reality is that it's a terrible move.

NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 9 did more North American PPV buys than ROH's Final Battle. By not making these shows available live - and really the Saturday night Toronto show should be a TV PPV and the Philly shows should be live iPPVs - they are missing out on big opportunity to make money and put eyes on their product. The fact that they are able to run back-to-back mid-week shows demonstrates how strong the interest in these shows is. If they tried to run back-to-bck midweek shows with just ROH guys it would die. However, the interest in watching these shows on a one-week-plus delay on VOD will be FAR less than if they were available live.
Sandy Fork

Post by Sandy Fork »

But ROH doesn't have a stable Ippv platform. What should they do? Run Ippvs that constantly crash and pay back refunds? And cutting into the profits.

Or run on immediate replay like they did for the 13th Anniversary, which for me worked splendidly. I live in Sweden and I just woke up at 6am my time after the ppv had ended, bought it and watched it with my breakfast.

ROH should figure out a way to get their shows up live yes, but when they don't have a stabled platform to deliver on it this is better than nothing, and unless someone on here sits on that technical solution, why don't you give ROH a call?
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

Sandy Fork wrote:But ROH doesn't have a stable Ippv platform. What should they do? Run Ippvs that constantly crash and pay back refunds? And cutting into the profits.

Or run on immediate replay like they did for the 13th Anniversary, which for me worked splendidly. I live in Sweden and I just woke up at 6am my time after the ppv had ended, bought it and watched it with my breakfast.

ROH should figure out a way to get their shows up live yes, but when they don't have a stabled platform to deliver on it this is better than nothing, and unless someone on here sits on that technical solution, why don't you give ROH a call?
Philly shows available on an immediate replay would be a good enough compromise, yes. That's not what we'll get, though. If they're up by the end of that week I'll be surprised - the following week is more likely.

The first Toronto show should be TV PPV, period.
Last edited by Burnside on Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
MAXAKASINNER

Post by MAXAKASINNER »

DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

It's really tough. Burnside makes a lot of good points. However, ROH has been burned by iPPV so many times, whether it be the iPPV's not working (GFL & in-house), or the one good iPPV provider getting out of wrestling (Ustream), that it makes it really tough to decide that. I would love if one of the shows was on traditional PPV, but ROH & SBG seem dead set on keeping their Summer PPV in late June so that's not happening, unfortunately.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Yeah I mean I definitely agree with Burnside, but ROH has been doing so hot these past three months that if a live stream were to go bad again, some of their momentum would be brought down because of it.

I'm hoping they test SOMETHING out soon, like Livestream or YouTube, something, just to get back on it. Hopefully this years All-Star Extravaganza will be shown on live iPPV.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

I understand the issues with live iPPVs. I do think it's a problem that could and should be solved by Sinclair spending a little more money to make more money, but whatever.

To me the more egregious issue is the "We can't have the ROH/NJPW show as a TV PPV because we have to have our TV PPV in June because...we have to."

It was one thing last year when the TV PPV deal came together suddenly and they made the best of it. This time they had 12 months to figure this out.
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

do you think they might make one of the NJPW shows a PPV if demanded by the fans, burnside?
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
Mr. Orange

Post by Mr. Orange »

All I see it as is ROH trying to give themselves a bunch of big shows people are interested in. If the new Japan show is a tV PPV or a VOD people are still going to be hyped the same for it no matter what because new Japan is awesome. Making a separate show a TV PPV increases the intrigue of that show to other people. I don't see this as a bad move, would it be awesome if these were live Ippvs? Yes, but they've tried to do it for 6 years and there have been countless problems. Just scrap it. It doesn't work. Hopefully they get these up as soon as possible so I could enjoy them.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

There is little reason to entertain that the vanilla Best in the World is a better PPV sell than War of the Worlds. ROH even heavily advertise the Bullet Club as pseudo-faces and treat them as bonafide stars when they appear. I don't understand the hesitation for what seems to be a straightforward business maneuver.

Perhaps there is something latent that prevents War of the Worlds from being distributed on PPV? ROH officials might find it risky to promote NJPW stars during a certain time of the year, every year, due to what I presume must be greatly complicated scheduling in conducting such a co-opted event. From that perspective, the decisions makers in ROH don't seem to me the type of people willing or committed enough to make long-standing arrangements like that.

But again, without any real knowledge of how these contracts work, War of the Worlds seems like a much easier show to promote than the usual Best in the World program. I hope we eventually get to the point where this is a major PPV event.
WHG

Post by WHG »

One thought I had was the cost & revenue split situation may be the reason these shows aren't on traditional PPV. None of us are really privy to the details of that, but giving up as much as half of a traditional PPV's revenue may not be attractive depending on how much of the increased cost NJPW would be willing to take on.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

WHG wrote:One thought I had was the cost & revenue split situation may be the reason these shows aren't on traditional PPV. None of us are really privy to the details of that, but giving up as much as half of a traditional PPV's revenue may not be attractive depending on how much of the increased cost NJPW would be willing to take on.
I was about to rationalize something similar to this originally, but it does not explain their heavily advertised "Bullet Club Invasion" in Las Vegas for the 13YA.

Unfortunately, it is hard to justify why these are not on PPV. The best excuse I can suss out is that ROH does not want their June spot to go an event they may find onerous to have annualized.
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

I still think the biggest issues are the fact that they won't be able to build to any of these events on TV, and that all the top NJPW stars would be going over, either making their own top stars look weak, or meaning they wouldn't be able to book any dream matches.
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

JigsawVs.Jason wrote:do you think they might make one of the NJPW shows a PPV if demanded by the fans, burnside?
Probably not this year.
adduvall84

Post by adduvall84 »

Does anyone know how much front row tickets for Night 2 of WotW were? And whether or not they were sold on ROHs site or the arena's site? Trying to get specifics for buying tix to Night 2.
Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/adduvall1984
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

I'll give them a pass on the Philly shows since they seem to be coming together somewhat last minute, but the definitely should have had something figured out for the Toronto shows. It's actually a step back from last year which is disappointing.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

adduvall84 wrote:Does anyone know how much front row tickets for Night 2 of WotW were? And whether or not they were sold on ROHs site or the arena's site? Trying to get specifics for buying tix to Night 2.
I got a 2nd Row Seat for the Wednesday Show, and it was like $50-$55, so I imagine front row is a little bit more than that (it might have been around $70 but I'm not sure).
Shawnwrestle3456
Banned
Banned

Post by Shawnwrestle3456 »

Northwoods_Nightmare wrote:I'll give them a pass on the Philly shows since they seem to be coming together somewhat last minute, but the definitely should have had something figured out for the Toronto shows. It's actually a step back from last year which is disappointing.

Step back???? Lmfao your a dunst go away!
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

Shawnwrestle3456 wrote:
Northwoods_Nightmare wrote:I'll give them a pass on the Philly shows since they seem to be coming together somewhat last minute, but the definitely should have had something figured out for the Toronto shows. It's actually a step back from last year which is disappointing.
Step back???? Lmfao your a dunst go away!
Still here, huh? Making your last few days count.