ROH/New Japan 2015 SuperShows Speculation Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Marketh.

Re: ROH/New Japan 2015 SuperShows Speculation Thread

Post by Marketh. »

Northwoods_Nightmare wrote:Oh, and would taking Jado, Gedo, Hooligans, one of the "big three", etc. off the card really make the show any worse?
The last option? Yeah. Okada's a star, Tanahashi's a star, and Nakamura was the best of the three last time, IMO.
Last Real Man Hype
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

Marketh. wrote:
Northwoods_Nightmare wrote:Oh, and would taking Jado, Gedo, Hooligans, one of the "big three", etc. off the card really make the show any worse?
The last option? Yeah. Okada's a star, Tanahashi's a star, and Nakamura was the best of the three last time, IMO.
I guess it depends on how you book them. I think they definitely all added to War of the Worlds, but if they were to be booked like they were at Global Wars I don't think missing one of them would have noticeably affected the show.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

I think he less guys they bring the more high profile matches we get so i am fine with that.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

The Dragon Saga wrote:I wouldn't say that. I'd fucking love to see Jushin Liger and am more than happy hes coming back for the show. He's a legend.
I consider booking him as ROH's make-good for the razor-thin roster in NOLA.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

I think AJ and The Bucks will be givens for these two shows. If we can at least get Anderson vs. Elgin 3, Okada vs. Cole, and Liger vs. Lethal (if it doesn't happen at SCOH) I'll be satisfied. If they could possible bring in Kenny Omega and the Time Splitters I'd be even more satisfied though I wouldn't balk at Gedo & Jado coming over instead of the Time Spliiters since Gedo is conjoined at the hip with Okada.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

Northwoods_Nightmare wrote:I feel like everyone has unreasonably high expectations of what ROH's budget should be. Bringing in a large roster of NJPW talent for 4 shows would probably be massively expensive.
I just look at it like any other major sports team. A football team can't sign every star player in the league to their roster (even if there wasn't a salary cap), and no one expects them to because it's not at all a realistic budget. How is ROH any different? They'll bring in a few star guys who will lead the rest of the supporting roster to having a great show.
You're talking like people's high expectations are coming out of nowhere. People expected a good-sized crew of NJPW guys to be brought in because

A) they did it last year and it was awesome and

B) At Wrestle Kingdom 9, NJPW announced a May tour of the U.S. I guess people were "unreasonable" to expect that"NJPW" meant "more than 2 guys", "tour" meant "more than 1 weekend" and "U.S." meant "U.S."
ICHIFUJI

Post by ICHIFUJI »

NJPW might say they announced a May tour of the North America not USA so Canada only is OK.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

ICHIFUJI wrote:NJPW might say they announced a May tour of the North America not USA so Canada only is OK.
They said U.S.
MAXAKASINNER

Post by MAXAKASINNER »

They don't need to bring massively expensive guys over for a awesome show. Hell, for the War Of The Worlds show (or whatever it's called) I'd love,

Top Guys:
Hiroshi Tanahashi
Kota Ibushi
Kazuchika Okada

Lower Talent:
Tomoaki Honma
Tetsuya Naito
Jushin Liger
Tiger Mask
Gedo & Jado
The Bullet Club (Fale/Doc/KA)
Hiroyoshi Tenzan
Captain New Japan
BUSHI

Now with the ROH talent, you could make a cracking card with that.

P.S Gedo & Jado are the staff, so they're definitely over. Also Tiger will be over.
BTW10

Post by BTW10 »

MAXAKASINNER wrote:Lower Talent:
Tomoaki Honma
Tetsuya Naito
Jushin Liger
Tiger Mask
Gedo & Jado
The Bullet Club (Fale/Doc/KA)
Hiroyoshi Tenzan
Captain New Japan
BUSHI
Honma wouldn't be a good choice to bring over just because an ROH audience wouldn't "get" his headbutt work, which is essentially what his matches are centered around. And Gedo & Jado is enough fluff for the undercard so there's no need for Tenzan, Capt., and Bushi. Other than those four, I have no problem with the talent you mentioned.
Sandy Fork

Post by Sandy Fork »

That's still a fairly costly list considering flights, visas and accomodation.
MAXAKASINNER

Post by MAXAKASINNER »

Sandy Fork wrote:That's still a fairly costly list considering flights, visas and accomodation.
Yes it is, but it would be cheaper with those guys. I heard Joe Koff mention 10 New Japan guys but there was about 16 last year so I selected 16.
BTW10 wrote: Honma wouldn't be a good choice to bring over just because an ROH audience wouldn't "get" his headbutt work, which is essentially what his matches are centered around. And Gedo & Jado is enough fluff for the undercard so there's no need for Tenzan, Capt., and Bushi. Other than those four, I have no problem with the talent you mentioned.
What? I'd actually say that a large majority of ROH fans also watch NJPW and so they've seen that five star classic that Honma was involved in last week and would like to see him proceed in a brawl with a ROH guy (quite possibly Mark Briscoe).

I was thinking with their money situations, they're some good undercard talent. You could easily do Mike Bennett vs. Captain New Japan and BUSHI vs. ACH which would both be alright card wise.

I was thinking legend wise, Tenzan would be a nice addition.
DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

no interest in Tenzan at all, he can barely move.

I would love Honma, really hoping for him. he's my favorite wrestler right now
"Money kept, is twice as good as money burned
And money won, is twice as sweet as money earned"
DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

Nagata would be a great legend to bring in. people might remember him from his WCW days. he just main evented with Nakamura. he's a former IWGP Heavyweight champ too
"Money kept, is twice as good as money burned
And money won, is twice as sweet as money earned"
BTW10

Post by BTW10 »

MAXAKASINNER wrote:What? I'd actually say that a large majority of ROH fans also watch NJPW and so they've seen that five star classic that Honma was involved in last week and would like to see him proceed in a brawl with a ROH guy (quite possibly Mark Briscoe).
Are we talking ROH fans in general or the fans that will be in attendance for the shows? Because the majority of the fanbase in general maybe would know of the top guys, but there's no way they know of a guy like Honma.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

MAXAKASINNER wrote: What? I'd actually say that a large majority of ROH fans also watch NJPW and so they've seen that five star classic that Honma was involved in last week and would like to see him proceed in a brawl with a ROH guy (quite possibly Mark Briscoe).

I'm not certain the majority of the fans would actually know who he is. Every show I've been to the majority of people talking around me are what you would probably refer to as casual and not smarks at all. Sometimes they don't know some of the newer ROH guys. Doesn't affect their enjoyment of the show, though.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

MAXAKASINNER

Post by MAXAKASINNER »

RING OF HONOR WRESTLING® AND NEW JAPAN PRO-WRESTLING® TO PRESENT 3 SUPER SHOWS THIS MAY IN NORTH AMERICA

BOTH PHILADELPHIA AND TORONTO TO HOST THESE EVENTS

Ring of Honor Wrestling® (“ROH”) is happy to announce that we will once again partner with New Japan Pro-Wrestling® to present three must-see super shows for pro wrestling fans.

Details available at this time include the dates & locations of the three events. ROH & NJPW stars will be announced at a later date.

WAR OF THE WORLDS ’15 will be held Wednesday, May 13th, 2015 in Philadelphia at the 2300 Arena, formerly known worldwide as the ECW Arena. Tickets are on sale now for Ringside members now and go on sale to the general public Friday, February 27th @ 10am Est. Ringside members can get their pre sale code here.

GLOBAL WARS ’15 will be held on Friday, May 15th and Saturday, May 16th, 2015 at the Ted Reeve Arena, located in Toronto, Ontario. Tickets are on sale now for both events, and are available here.

The COO of ROH Joe Koff when asked about the events said: "We're very excited to once again bring the stars of New Japan to our great fans. New Japan Pro-Wrestling is a fantastic partner with exceptional wrestlers and we always strive to give our fans an experience of a lifetime. With these three stacked events, showcasing the best wrestlers in the world, we will do just that.”
Source: http://www.ROHWrestling.com
ninetwentyfour

Post by ninetwentyfour »

DBSommer wrote:
MAXAKASINNER wrote: What? I'd actually say that a large majority of ROH fans also watch NJPW and so they've seen that five star classic that Honma was involved in last week and would like to see him proceed in a brawl with a ROH guy (quite possibly Mark Briscoe).

I'm not certain the majority of the fans would actually know who he is. Every show I've been to the majority of people talking around me are what you would probably refer to as casual and not smarks at all. Sometimes they don't know some of the newer ROH guys. Doesn't affect their enjoyment of the show, though.
I'd gander 90% of people who wear Bullet Club merch have never seen a NJPW show.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

187_Joeism wrote:Image
Really nice posters.