ROH/New Japan 2015 SuperShows Speculation Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
WHG

Re: ROH/New Japan 2015 SuperShows Speculation Thread

Post by WHG »

Mr. Orange wrote:I think the reasoning behind keeping the New Japan shows off ppv is to create another big show. If the New Japan show combines with BITW that will be one awesome show which will probably do the same buys as a normal ROH PPv if not more. Keeping them separate will give them a PPV which people will buy plus a joint new Japan show which people will also buy and do really well. I think the goal is to have two shows that get a lot of buys instead of just one.
That makes sense if we're talking iPPV/VOD for both. PPV has a higher fixed cost (risk) and also a higher potential upside if they can get a hot show. Remember, only about 2k people bought WOTW last year on iPPV, while BITW a month later did 12k on PPV for a way worse line-up. Cable distribution and availability still makes a difference...why not maximize that with your best cards?

BITW should be in May with NJPW talent. Nobody will remember if it was May or June when next year rolls around.

Edit: One thing that just came to mind is the difficulty of building to the NJPW shows with their TV, which is something they're trying to get in a rhythm of doing (and is vastly improved heading into the March show). The NJPW shows will do well on their own and don't require a lot of build, but making one of those shows a tent pole PPV would make for some less than episodic TV around them. We saw that last year leading up to them. I still disagree with it, but I can at least see the logic in it.
Last edited by WHG on Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

Dave Meltzer
@SleeveAssassin @JaimsVanDerBeek @ringofhonor @njpw1972 Yeah 2 guys from New Japan, genuine stars, coming to the show (SCOH)
https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/stat ... 6994768896

So that's two guys for SCOH. Question is are they working that show and is that subtracting a talent or two from the NJPW shows in May or will it be build to the NJPW shows in May? Either way, according to Meltzer, that's two NJPW guys on their way and they're "genuine stars". Take your guesses.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

The Dragon Saga wrote:
Dave Meltzer
@SleeveAssassin @JaimsVanDerBeek @ringofhonor @njpw1972 Yeah 2 guys from New Japan, genuine stars, coming to the show (SCOH)

So that's two guys for SCOH. Question is are they working that show and is that subtracting a talent or two from the NJPW shows in May or will it be build to the NJPW shows in May? Either way, according to Meltzer, that's two NJPW guys on their way and they're "genuine stars". Take your guesses.
I actually really like this. With the recent addition of Anderson & Gallows to the 13th Anniversary Show, I'd be much more in favor of having New Japan Talent come in over a few shows rather than two big SuperShows in the span of a week.
MHDogg

Post by MHDogg »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:
The Dragon Saga wrote:
Dave Meltzer

I actually really like this. With the recent addition of Anderson & Gallows to the 13th Anniversary Show, I'd be much more in favor of having New Japan Talent come in over a few shows rather than two big SuperShows in the span of a week.
That's great news! I would bet one of them is Jushin Liger.
ICHIFUJI

Post by ICHIFUJI »

Me too.
But Liger called NWA Jr champion in ROH?
Or coming after loses NWA title?
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

I also prefer them to have a fly ins on a few shows than to have a huge show with all of them, part of 2014 sucess was to do that.
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

To be honest, I do not think they should put the NJPW shows on PPV. If they would be doing 12 PPVs every year, sure put in on one of them, but they're only doing four a year, and they're trying to grow slowly to make people think "hey, this ROH promotion, that's something really cool, they really have a great product going, and I'm going to buy the next PPV too". Now imagine if they put the NJPW shows on PPV. The upside of this would be a better show on PPV, which is obviously a good thing, as it might translate to more buys for the next PPV, and it get more buzz behind them in general, and maybe, just maybe, the NJPW guys coming over would get them a few extra buys. However, there are way more, mostly longterm downsides to this.
First, they'd have to stick to the 3-hour time frame, which they also did last year of course, but if they want to do longer shows this year, that won't be possible if the show's on PPV. Second, people might not think "ROH is great and I should check it out more", but "NJPW is great and I should check it out more". Then, as WHG already mentioned, they wouldn't really be able to build a lot to the event as they've done for the current PPV, which is undoubtedly going to cost them a few buys, which might very well void any positive effect they might get from the NJPW guys being on the show. However, what I think is the most important thing, is that they're trying to sell themselves as an alternative to WWE, with better wrestling, and better storylines, they have "the best wrestling in the world' as kind of their slogan. Now these guys from NJPW come in, they compete in the most important matches, their top stars will all be going over ROH's top stars (or they'd have to book the top stars against lower carders in ROH, which wouldn't make a lot of people happy either). That doesn't sell ROH as a top promotion featuring the best wrestling in the world, that will come across as "hey, we have the best wrestling in the world, next to these Japanese guys who just beat all of our top stars, and outshined them by a few light years, but yeah, why care about that, just buy our next PPV again, which, by the way will not have these guys, because they're not coming here to be wrestling in ROH, they just want to promote their own company here which has way better wrestling than we do, but all of that doesn't matter, buy our PPVs".
The more I think about it, the worse of an idea it seems to do this show on PPV
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
PeoplesChampion

Post by PeoplesChampion »

The show should be like night of champions all titles from roh and njpw must be defended
young bucks vs time splitters jr hvy tag
omega vs ach-jr hvy
Ishii vs cedric alexender-never
Bullet club vs bad influence-iwgp tags
nakamura vs strong-ic title
aj vs hanson-iwgp hvy
Jay lethal vs makabe-tv title
redragon vs goto/shibata-roh tags
jay briscoe vs tanahshi-roh title
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Night 1 (Live Event/VOD)
-Bullet Club (Styles, The Bucks, Omega, Anderson) vs. The Briscoes, Elgin, & The Addiction
-reDRagon vs. Time Splitters vs. ACH & Sydal (ROH World Tag Team Championship)
-Tanahashi vs. Alexander
-Lethal vs. Liger
-Ibushi vs. Alberto
-Strong vs. Ciampa vs. Hanson (winner challenges Nakamura on Night 2)
-Nakamura, Okada, Gedo vs. The Kingdom

Night 2 (TV Taping)
-Styles vs. Alberto (IWGP Heavyweight Championship)
-The Young Bucks vs. The Addiction
-Omega vs. O'Reilly (IWGP Jr.Heavyweight Championship
-Anderson vs, Elgin part 3
-Jay Briscoe vs. Tanahashi (ROH World Championship)
-Time Splitters vs. ACH & Matt Sydal
-Alexander vs. Ibushi
-Nakamura vs. Strong vs. Ciampa vs. Hanson (IWGP Intercontinental Championship)
-Okada vs. Cole
-Lethal vs. Fish (ROH Televison Championship)
-The Kingdom vs. Gedo & Jado
-Mark Briscoe vs. Liger
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

Meltzer reports that until this past week New Japan was under the impression that they'd be sending a large group of guys in May for shows in Toronto, NYC, Philly, and Chicago. New Japan was informed this week that instead it'll be just a few guys on the two Toronto shows only.
DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

thank god the new japan guys are in Toronto, i have front row oh yeah. nice budget cutbacks sinclair, very disappointing to the other cities
"Money kept, is twice as good as money burned
And money won, is twice as sweet as money earned"
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Such a damn shame. Though it's still nice some guys are coming over.
Ladrao12

Post by Ladrao12 »

Burnside wrote:Meltzer reports that until this past week New Japan was under the impression that they'd be sending a large group of guys in May for shows in Toronto, NYC, Philly, and Chicago. New Japan was informed this week that instead it'll be just a few guys on the two Toronto shows only.
Ugh. Fucking SBG.
The Dragon Saga

Ladrao12 wrote:
Burnside wrote:Meltzer reports that until this past week New Japan was under the impression that they'd be sending a large group of guys in May for shows in Toronto, NYC, Philly, and Chicago. New Japan was informed this week that instead it'll be just a few guys on the two Toronto shows only.
Ugh. Fucking SBG.
It's better than nothing.
Ladrao12

Post by Ladrao12 »

The Dragon Saga wrote:
Ladrao12 wrote:
Ugh. Fucking SBG.
It's better than nothing.
I definitely agree. At the same time, it's really only a little better than nothing.
The Dragon Saga

I wouldn't say that. I'd fucking love to see Jushin Liger and am more than happy hes coming back for the show. He's a legend.
Mr. Orange

Post by Mr. Orange »

It sucks that they aren't doing some NYC shows but they are still doing the same amount of shows as last year. I'll wait until the talent list is announced before I grab my pitchfork. If it's less guys but they're all awesome then I don't really care too much.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

The Dragon Saga wrote: It's better than nothing.
Pretty much the same feelings from me. Again, it sucks that SBG doesn't see more in ROH, but it is what it is. As long as we get some New Japan Talents, I'm content.
The Dragon Saga wrote:I wouldn't say that. I'd fucking love to see Jushin Liger and am more than happy hes coming back for the show. He's a legend.
Plus he was one of the most over guys on the two joint shows last year.
Mr. Orange wrote:I'll wait until the talent list is announced before I grab my pitchfork. If it's less guys but they're all awesome then I don't really care too much.
The good news is that most of New Japan's Talent is awesome, so no worries there. Just hope they don't bring over Bad Luck Fale...
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

I feel like everyone has unreasonably high expectations of what ROH's budget should be. Bringing in a large roster of NJPW talent for 4 shows would probably be massively expensive.
I just look at it like any other major sports team. A football team can't sign every star player in the league to their roster (even if there wasn't a salary cap), and no one expects them to because it's not at all a realistic budget. How is ROH any different? They'll bring in a few star guys who will lead the rest of the supporting roster to having a great show.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

Oh, and would taking Jado, Gedo, Hooligans, one of the "big three", etc. off the card really make the show any worse?

ROH is putting out stacked cards just with their own roster and US based guys. If you add two or three major Japanese stars like Liger and Okada on top of US guys like Styles, Young Bucks, Gallows/Anderson, Tama Tonga, Timesplitters and then fill out the rest of the card with Sydal, the Addiction, reDRagon, etc. that would make for a hell of a show without flying in more than a few people from Japan.
If we get something like that, it makes total financial sense and would be an awesome card that no-one would really have any right to complain about.