Colt Cabana

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Thomas Bobo

Colt Cabana

Post by Thomas Bobo »

I think Cabana is incredibly talented and he is an asset to wherever he had the chance to wrestle.

His departure from ROH at the end of the summer seemed so abrupt and without explanation, it really made me wonder what went down and where things stand. Granted, with the exception of a mini-feud with Ciampa and The Embassy, he has not/was not featured in any really feud or angle since the end of 2010...but it is not to say that he should not have been.

With that in mind, does Cabana get the blame or should that fall on Delirious and Co.? When they began to make an effort to point out that Cabana was getting back to his wrestling roots (against TJP at Final Battle and a little before), I felt like that was the beginning of something, but alas it went nowhere.

Kevin Steen (via Twitter) was pretty vocal about the ROH treatment of Cabana over the last few months as well, so it made me think that this could be part of an elaborate angle. Could all of the "calm before the storm" be a ruse to see Cabana return at Final Battle?

Wow...I feel like I've loaded the topic now, but I am eager to read the thoughts of others.
EcwHardCore07

Re: Colt Cabana

Post by EcwHardCore07 »

I can see him coming in for final battle getting involved in steens match thus turning heel
ROHWorld_Steven
Admin
Admin

Post by ROHWorld_Steven »

I'll be the first to say that I'm not Cabana's biggest fan. I'm just not into his kind of wrestling and towards the end of his run with ROH, his matches all just seemed the same to me. Saying that though, if ROH knew that they were going to stop booking him, they should have given him a decent send off. He's bust his ass so much for ROH so it's only fair that he and the fans should get some closure.

I'd not thought about him returning at Final Battle but that would be pretty interesting.
Cheer Up Emo Kid

Post by Cheer Up Emo Kid »

Have we ever really had a heel Cabana in ROH? I mean, I think technically the Saints were heels during Punk's feud with Steamboat, so that might count, but Cabana was always more comedy than full on heel. I am willing to bet he could be quite the amazing serious heel, and if ROH wanted to give him a chance at that, I'd be all for it. Would be an interesting twist and a unique role for Cabana, who really didn't have a role at all in his last run with ROH.
keith6601

Post by keith6601 »

Cabana is that guy that can elevate somebody by having a good match/series with them. He doesn't need to be near the top of the card. His name recognition is enough that whatever he's given, a lot of people are going to pay attention.
GardenStateSaint

Post by GardenStateSaint »

The way Cabana exited the company around the same time and fashion of Hero and Claudio seemed odd. I know it's two seperate situations between the three men but maybe this is the new direction of the SBG ROH.
Tomato cans don't stand a chance.
Chris Xtreme

Post by Chris Xtreme »

Cabana could be a big asset to ROH. As he stands out and brings comedy to the table. Plus he can be serious when the situation calls for it. He has been gone long enough that he would feel fresh if he came back.

From what I understand Cabana didn't sign a deal with Sinclair. So thats one of the reasons why he is not used. There could be other issues too. Hopefully he comes back at some point.
davew00d

Post by davew00d »

I think the problem with Cabana is that he's the most recognisable non-WWE/TNA wrestler, so he's able to get lucrative bookings with the Clowns, in Japan/Mexico and with upstart companies like WRP.

This can all interfere with ROH's plans, quite easily.
syxxpakk

Post by syxxpakk »

If I'm not mistaken, that's exactly why he didn't go for the SBG contract.
icyhot

Post by icyhot »

I can understand the business side of it (SGB wants people to sign deals that would exclude some bookings, Cabana wants/needs as many high profile and lucrative bookings as he can get so wouldn't sign), but I wish they would at least use him as a special attraction. His style is so much different from everyone else in ROH and he hasn't been used for awhile, bringing him in as an attraction here and there would make sense. Maybe keep him out of the storylines and just him every now and then.
Support REAL Indy Wrestling and small business.
ColourMeCurious

Post by ColourMeCurious »

I don't think his departure desolated ROH, but I miss seeing him on the shows. I like his style, but I think he didn't impact ROH too much recently.

Is it just me or does his departure remind anyone else of Sonjay, Eddie Kingston, DCFC, and Necro Butcher's quiet departure.
JSWO
Banned
Banned

Post by JSWO »

Colt Cabana's style was my favorite to watch. He had my favorite matches on each show. I've got no idea what happened there, but there is some sort of issue. He needs to be brought back, his absence is a gaping hole in the product.
Admin note: User permanently banned.
ROHWorld_Jon
Admin
Admin

Post by ROHWorld_Jon »

I'm a huge Colt Cabana fan, but I have to admit he was getting kind of stale in ROH. I wish he was given the chance to show his more serious side (like he did for a good bit of 2010) throughout 2011 because I think that could have possibly kept him on the roster. If he was able to tweak his character to be more serious, or possibly even turn heel, then that would have freshened him up a ton and would have made his matches not all feel the same. Cabana was always good for an entertaining midcard match, but he isn't missed like the likes of Hero or Castagnoli are right now. I do wish he would have gotten some kind of send-off if they knew he was leaving the company, though.
Teenage Mutant Nana Turtle
ROHWorld_Steven
Admin
Admin

Post by ROHWorld_Steven »

I should imagine he was one of the highest paid guys on the roster too so SBG probably thought he wasn't worth it for what he was giving to the product.

That being said, I've got a sneaky feeling he'll be back at some stage.
SilentXtasy

Post by SilentXtasy »

Can you imagine 'Officer Colt Cabana' in ROH? Oh boy
JSWO
Banned
Banned

Post by JSWO »

SilentXtasy wrote:Can you imagine 'Officer Colt Cabana' in ROH? Oh boy

It would be awesome for sure.
lariato

Post by lariato »

Just watched some early heel Colt stuff from other promotions. He has some great Regal-like mannerisms.
cviens

Post by cviens »

SilentXtasy wrote:Can you imagine 'Officer Colt Cabana' in ROH? Oh boy
That would be marvelous.
Thomas Bobo

Post by Thomas Bobo »

I appreciate all of the conversation this has created, and do not want to rain on my own topic, but to my wish/hope about Cabana being a "surprise" at Final Battle, it won't likely be as on his podcast he noted a booking in Ohio on 12/23.
JSWO
Banned
Banned

Post by JSWO »

Thomas Bobo wrote:I appreciate all of the conversation this has created, and do not want to rain on my own topic, but to my wish/hope about Cabana being a "surprise" at Final Battle, it won't likely be as on his podcast he noted a booking in Ohio on 12/23.

I'll likely be there once he confirms it a week or so out.