Individual Analysis: Mike/Michael Bennett

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
donkitrk99

Individual Analysis: Mike/Michael Bennett

Post by donkitrk99 »

*If admins would prefer this to go on the Reviews board then, well... I guess they'd just move it whether I gave them permission or not. But I guess I'll say I understand if they do ahead of time haha.

The first ROH match I ever watched was Davey/Elgin. The first show I ever watched was when Steen ended Davey’s reign. I missed a few DVD shows over the next few months, until they began to offer them as VOD. I’ve watched *everything* since then, in chronological order, and, usually, spoiler free (that ain’t easy – sometimes noticing Jay Briscoe is the Superstar of the Week on Cagematch.net is enough to clue one in to a world title change…). I began saving my star ratings for all shows with the 11th Anniversary. I do not keep ratings for TV tapings, however, unless it’s offered as a standalone show or for some occasional matches that flirt with 4 stars or that have me particularly excited to watch them beforehand. I’ll also leave out Honor Rumble(s). I figured I might as well get something out of saving the ratings, so I’m gonna dive in and look for some stats. I got the idea as I thought about Michael Bennett before his match with Jay from the 9/27 taping. I used to dread his matches, and now he’s one of the performers I most look forward to. Especially since the Steen match at Final Battle I find his match quality has greatly improved and (in an almost certainly correlative way) his character work has improved even more. I think he had some strong matches leading into the Steen match (with Davey, Eddie, and Jimmy) but the total package really came together at and after that Final Battle, I think. (This is all stream of consciousness, so if you fact check do it to add to the discussion and not just to discredit my opening paragraph haha). So, without further ado, here are some things I found as I looked at my star ratings for every Michael Bennett match that I have a star rating for (i.e. from 11th Anniversary to the 9/27 taping, with only occasional TV matches and every iPPV/DVD match – there was a couple of iPPVs I didn’t record ratings for because of terrible streams – can’t remember which ones or if Bennett was involved so… whatever, we’ll ignore that and call the data points a representative sample).

*Aside – Mark Briscoe similarly was involved in a ton of singles matches I didn’t care about and, lately, has been amazing. As it relates to Bennett, their no DQ match was one of my all-time pleasant surprises, right up there with Big Brother Jay vs. Necro Butcher. Little Brother Chicken’s stats are going to be my second Individual Analysis.

*Aside No. 2 – I will probably add matches to this as they happen and update the cumulative scores.

Singles Matches:
Shelton Benjamin vs. Mike Bennett**3/4
Mike Bennett vs. Roderick Strong***
Mike Bennett vs. BJ Whitmer**
Michael Bennett vs. BJ Whitmer**1/4
Michael Bennett vs. Andy Muscat*3/4
Michael Bennett vs. Rhino**1/2
Michael Bennett vs. BJ Whitmer**
Tomasso Ciampa vs. Michael Bennett**1/2
Michael Bennett vs. Davey Richards***
Michael Bennett vs. Eddie Edwards***1/2
Jimmy Jacobs vs. Michael Bennett***1/2
Michael Bennett vs. Kevin Steen***1/2
Michael Bennett vs. The Romantic Touch**1/4
Michael Bennett vs. Mark Briscoe***
Jay Briscoe ('c') vs. Michael Bennett*** (12YA match for Briscoe’s ‘championship’)
Tyson Dux vs. Michael Bennett**3/4
Michael Bennett vs. Jay Lethal**3/4
Michael Bennett vs. ACH***1/4
Michael Bennett vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi**1/2
Delirious vs. Michael Bennett**3/4
Michael Bennett vs. Michael Elgin***1/4
Michael Bennett vs. Rocky Romero**3/4
Jay Briscoe © vs. Michael Bennett***1/4
23 matches – Mean = 2.6847826087* Median = 2.75* Mode = 2.75*

Multi Man Matches:
Silas Young vs. BJ Whitmer vs. ACH vs. Michael Bennett***1/4
1 match – 3.25*

Gimmick Matches:
‘Stretcher Match’ (No DQ) - Michael Bennett vs. Kevin Steen****
No DQ - Mark Briscoe vs. Michael Bennett***3/4
2 matches – Mean = 3.875*

Tag Team Matches:
The Briscoes vs. Adam Cole & Michael Bennett***3/4
The Briscoes vs. Michael Bennett & Matt Hardy***3/4
Michael Elgin & War Machine vs. Adam Cole, Matt Hardy, & Michael Bennet***
3 matches – Mean = 3.5* Median = 3.75* Mode = 3.75*

Total:
29 matches
Mean = 2.73275862069* Median = 3* Mode = *

His matches, themselves, really haven’t improved as much as I expected. His gimmick matches and tag matches have been tremendous. Regular singles matches are hit and miss. . As much as I’ve enjoyed him, it seems to have more to do with his character work, and ability to excel in gimmick matches and tag matches with top guys like Cole and The Briscoes than it does with his actual improvements as a singles wrestler. The Lethal and Tanahashi singles matches do not look good on his resume. Even the Elgin match comes in quite a bit below Elgin’s standard, but it wasn’t as high on the card as most Elgin matches either. I don’t actually remember the circumstances behind the Lethal match. Tanahashi was supposed to be working through some major injuries at the time of their match, but he was having great matches in Japan before and since.
Although, good singles matches are much more prevelant among the latter parts of this run, there are still some average and below average matches amongst them and the good ones can more or less be predicted based on opponent.
I was hoping he’d have a meaningful feud for Elgin over the title as an emotional, engaging, ongoing storyline would go a long way for both guys and for the ROH product. That ship has obviously sailed, but I see great potential in his team with Cole if they focus on the tag ranks for any length of time. Maybe Bennett/Cole can have a feud that helps further elevate him when they split. The Kingdom, with Taven, should have some good 6 man matches that are high on the card in their future. So he has that going for him, which is nice.
Well there you have it. I always enjoy statistical analysis of wrestling – what did you all think? I’d love some feedback, and even moreso, I’d love it if a post like this sparks some real back and forth discussion. What are your impressions of Bennett’s progression in his ROH career? What’s his ceiling going forward? Are the much rumored WWE rumors ever going to come true? What can he do if they do?
Burnside

Re: Individual Analysis: Mike/Michael Bennett

Post by Burnside »

I feel like Bennett was steadily improving in the ring for a while, but everything has backslid considerably since the August 2013 Toronto match where he nearly killed Whitmer. I think that really spooked him. He was always a guy who worked light, but now everything he does is super loose and tentative and pretty much all of his offense looks harmless and weak. If he's really that gunshy he should probably incorporate more grappling and submission stuff because his strikes and power moves are weak sauce.

He's gone from one of my favorites on the roster to a guy who looks constantly awkward and unconfortàble in the ring. It probably doesn't help that he often works against Jay Briscoe, who is like his exact opposite in terms of being careful.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Burnside wrote:I feel like Bennett was steadily improving in the ring for a while, but everything has backslid considerably since the August 2013 Toronto match where he nearly killed Whitmer. I think that really spooked him. He was always a guy who worked light, but now everything he does is super loose and tentative and pretty much all of his offense looks harmless and weak. If he's really that gunshy he should probably incorporate more grappling and submission stuff because his strikes and power moves are weak sauce.

He's gone from one of my favorites on the roster to a guy who looks constantly awkward and unconfortàble in the ring. It probably doesn't help that he often works against Jay Briscoe, who is like his exact opposite in terms of being careful.
Right, I think Bennett's largest problem is that his offense right now is just mostly a series toothless strikes and maneuvers. To add to that, he is inconsistent in establishing signature moves and general character actions. As of right now, I can't confidently remark on what his finisher is. The Anaconda Vice? Perhaps it is the Spear now? He can't build heat in a match when key things like that have not been set in stone. It should speak to his present command in the ring that his best match to date is the crotch-post derby with Steen at Final Battle.

As a character, I think he has the potential to be the modern day Jimmy Rave. It's a shame that even his character till this point has not been set in stone. He has went from The Prodigy, to Hollywood, to the CM Punk Dissenter, to now, where he plays the role of Husband. I think he has ability on the mic, has room to run with Cole and Maria, but I wish he could commit to something worthwhile. Probably something simple. Just as what Cole does with being a jerk, Bennett should got out there and be a prick. He's been involved with too much comedy as of late.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Like Alexander, I feel like the higher-ups want this guy to be a big time player, but he's simply not. No matter how many famous endorsements he gets (Amazing Kong, Steen, Lethal I believe and probably more), I just don't see what's the big deal about him. He can play the heel in the ring, but his matches are mostly dull and he's not this magic storyteller some people want him to be.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
donkitrk99

Post by donkitrk99 »

Running in a group, and having tag matches, seems like a step in the right direction for Bennett. He'll have some matches that are both high profile, and good. Maria has gotten better in her time in ROH, too, and I think that helps. Probably is the case that he will never get to be a main event singles star. I do think there is still hope, but the in ring issues brought to light by the commenters are a big hurdle for him to overcome. Luckily, for the sake of our entertainment, working matches with 3+ other guys who have earned their spot at the top of the card should make for some good matches.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

I would have thought being in the Kingdom would help Bennett, but honestly, I don't think it has. I think he came off better when he was the centerpiece of his own act. He's now basically playing third fiddle to Cole and Maria, and he comes off like a flunky. They did seem to be teasing a split with Cole at the Honor Rumble TV tapings, but with both Bennett and Cole's contract status up in the air who knows where that's going. I actually think it hurts Bennett to be put next to Cole constantly, because you can't help but notice that Cole is better than him at pretty much every aspect of the game and Bennett suffers by comparison. It doesn't help if you've been watching since 2010, because then you saw how Bennett was brought in at a much higher level than Cole and got pushed harder and faster and got more opportunities, but Cole has completely lapped him. It's really glaring because in 2010 and 2011 Cole was fed to Bennett several times as enhancement talent, and now it's like he's Bennett's boss.

Maria's heel character in ROH still seems ill-defined to me and I'm not really into it. I hate to say it but honestly I have never found her interesting as a character unless she was doing the bimbo gimmick. Her micwork and acting in general isn't strong enough to pull off "evil mastermind". It just comes off as forced and her dialogue tends to sound scripted and unnatural.

One other thing that hurts the Kingdom, and this is really nit-picky but I do think it's the sort of detail that matters in wrestling: those red t-shirts with the Burger King crowns are really lame and wearing them makes Cole and Bennett both look lower-rent than they should.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

I've said it before in a couple other threads, but if you have a chance I suggest seeing him live. In general I'm not a fan of watching his matches on tape, but every time I've seen him live he's been very entertaining. He has a good back and forth connection with the crowd. Unfortunately, this seems to get lost on video.
I've been enjoying the Kingdom, and like that better than Bennett on his own.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

Northwoods_Nightmare wrote:I've said it before in a couple other threads, but if you have a chance I suggest seeing him live. In general I'm not a fan of watching his matches on tape, but every time I've seen him live he's been very entertaining. He has a good back and forth connection with the crowd. Unfortunately, this seems to get lost on video.
I've been enjoying the Kingdom, and like that better than Bennett on his own.
I noticed this last show at the last show I was at as well (The 2nd night of SOTF). He does interact with the crowd in an entertaining way during the match. Even the afterward with him sitting the unconscious Maria next to Kelly and cheering on Taven was fun to be at live. But like you said, it just doesn't come across on TV or DVD. He's just one of those guys you like to see live more than TV. (assuming you like him at all :)
BobbyBlue

Post by BobbyBlue »

I find that he has regressed in some regards. Maybe regressed isn't the right word, but it's clear to me someone in the company got in his ear and it has really slowed him down (And look, to be fair, he might as well considering his persona and the fan perception). His matches two years ago were much more enjoyable. It's a combo of booking and him just not being very good. I've been to a number of ROH shows in a variety of markets and the act with Maria is always one of the least over.

The worst thing that happen to Bennett was the fans accepted him. Fans told ROH for years they didn't like him, and management "Loved it" and considered it "Good heat." The fans eventually realized he wasn't going anywhere, so he was accepted, and now he has to rely much more on his performance to elicit any sort of reaction. It leads to very little. He still tries using the anaconda vice to generate heat and it NEVER works. Now The Kingdom is using the twist of fate, which is a nice touch, yet it hasn't worked yet at all.

Theoretically their package should be money, it just isn't. At this point, I'm not sure who to blame. I think he's a bit of a damaged brand. There are tons of holes in the booking over the course of his ROH tenure. Maria's head is so far up her own ass, I think it trends into her performance (Listen to her on their podcast). Something is lacking there now that I think she had when she first came into ROH and from her KOT 2012 performance.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

Regarding the Kingdom, for a top heel group they really haven't been given enough focus on the shows.
WHG

Post by WHG »

Burnside wrote:Regarding the Kingdom, for a top heel group they really haven't been given enough focus on the shows.
It's funny, because as of a couple weeks ago I was actually thinking they were almost absorbing too much of the TV time (assuming you're referring to TV). Starting with the early October Wheeling episodes we saw:

Week 1 - Cole interupts Briscoe's 1st promo as champion; Bennet wins the Honor Rumble & closing shot of unhappy Cole.

Week 2 - In ring promo with Bennett, Cole & Maria; Cole vs Cedric Main Event

Week 3 - Briscoe vs Bennett Main Event followed by Taven appearing and the show closing with The Kingdom standing over the laid-out Briscoes

Week 4 - The Kingdom runs in during the Jay/Ciampa altercation and lays out Jay again. Segment again ends with them Standing over the Briscoes.

Lakeland tapings

Week 1 - Pre-taped Kingdom promo opens the show. Bennett/Taven vs Briscoes main event followed again by the Kingdom laying out the Briscoes and standing tall.

Week 2 - Only a backstage promo from Cole and the announcement of the FB Main Event.

Week 3 - Bennett in ring promo followed by match with the Romantic Touch & really good hype package for Jay vs Cole at Final Battle

I think your comment may speak more to how memorable this stuff has been as opposed to there not being enough focus on it, at least in terms of time devoted to them. Then again, the last two episodes were a lot lighter on them than the previous few.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

I think you're right - it's not that it hasn't been there, it's more that it hasn't been very effective.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

After the long feud culminating in a pretty decisive finish at SCOH I didn't think I'd be interested in Cole vs Briscoe again but I'm really looking forward to their match at Final Battle, largely in part because the Kingdom. They've brought a different aspect to the feud with the Briscoes and kept it hot, while also using Taven and Bennett to limit the direct interaction between Cole and Jay.
So I think the Kingdom has been a successful group in terms of ROH's booking plans, just not successful at elevating Bennett or Taven.
AssShooter

Post by AssShooter »

MariaKanellisBennett @MariaLKanellis · 3 h
Hey, http://ROHworld.com forum members. You all can #suckit #thatisall #kingdom #InternetDarlings
Michael Bennett isn't a fan favorite right there, but at least Maria Kanellis loves us. :lol:
ImageImage
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

#fapmaterial
Last Real Man Hype
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

That is pretty cool
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
donkitrk99

Post by donkitrk99 »

2nd and 3rd Individual Analysis Posts:
Mark Briscoe (and The Briscoe Brothers): http://www.rohworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4180
Kevin Steen: http://www.rohworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4183
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

Awesome! She plugged the site in two additional tweets:
Thanks for the conversation and the differing opinions. In conclusion, http://rohworld.com #suckit #mikesinnjpw #kingdom
AND took a moment to bury QT Marshall:
Also, the wrestlers that put themselves over on http://ROHworld.com you can #doublesuckit #youarentover #InternetDarlings
Fidel Costco

Post by Fidel Costco »

As I've said in other threads, I like Michael Bennett. I get he doesn't exactly fit the ROH model and beyond that I don't get a lot of the disdain for him, but he's a solid wrestler. He's improved a great deal from when I first started watching when he was The Prodigy, and I'm usually excited for his matches.

As for Maria's tweets, I laughed pretty hard. It seems no one likes QT Marshall.
AssShooter

Post by AssShooter »

QT Marshall @RealQTMarshall
@MariaLKanellis is this a shot at me? Last time I checked, I was the only one who joined the forum?
QT has to challenge Maria for the title of love now.
ImageImage