Official Final Battle 2014 Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
dhads7161

Re: Official Final Battle 2014 Thread

Post by dhads7161 »

Womder if ROH could somehow get ahold of Chris Sabin on short notice? That's be an alright and logical replacement for Shelley and maybe Shelley could corner for them so he's still there.
Mike Adamle

Post by Mike Adamle »

Damn. Hope he can still go, was probably looking forward to this more than anything else on the card
BlackLesnar wrote:Seriously though, I completely agree with Mike.
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
Mike Adamle wrote:Should've named this show "Masters of the Roll Up"
This is the best post ever by Adamle. I laughed my ass off at this.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

And this is why i hope everyone on the roster sign a exclusive contract in the future, imagine instead of Shelley the injured was Cole.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

If Shelley isn't cleared what they could do is kick off the PPV with The Bucks vs. The Addiction vs. ACH & Alexander with the winners getting the tag title shot later in the night. To keep KUSHIDA on the PPV they could put him against either Whitmer, Jacobs, Coleman, TaDarius, or Will Ferrara. I'd actually like to see it be Ferrara play up how big of an opportunity it is for a rookie like him to be on a big show like final battle against a competitor like KUSHIDA. That would give KUSHIDA a win and build up Ferrara as a prospect to take notice of after competing with that caliber of an athlete.
Mike Adamle

Post by Mike Adamle »

Wonder what they'd do with KUSHIDA if Shelley's hurt. Would assume they'd call the 6 man tag off and put redDRagon against the Bucks and Addiction. Maybe instead of ACH vs. Cedric you could have a 4-corner survival or even 6 man mayhem with ACH vs. Cedric vs. KUSHIDA vs. Mark Briscoe vs. Hanson vs. BJ Whitmer or Jimmy Jacobs. Otherwise I have no idea what they do without Shelley. Sucks to have to switch the card around so last minute.
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

I think with Bennett and Taven in Japan ROH should put out a YouTube video where Nigel says he wants to make sure there is an undisputed winner in the main event. The only way to do that is to make sure there is to make sure that neither man's partners are at Final Battle. It will be easy with The Kingdom since they'll be in Japan but he is forced to ban Mark Briscoe from the building at Final Battle so he can make sure there is a clear winner. That takes care of Mark Briscoe not having a match. What they can do with Hanson have him cost Briscoe the main event. Hanson turns heel and a new feud is born Hanson vs. Jay Briscoe/War Machine vs. The Briscoes. I really can't see Cole not winning and I can't see him winning clean in a no disqualification match variation. Cole needs to win more too because if he loses where does that leave The Kingdom? Jay can easily go back to the tag division with Mark but The Kingdom which is supposed to be Cole's Horsemen or Evolution who are assembled to keep him at the top would have no reason to keep backing up Cole without the power the championship holds.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Fuck! I really was looking for ReDragon vs Time Splitters III. Hope Alex Shelley´s injury is nothing too serious because this match will be a show-stealer.

Does somebody know why neither AJ nor Okada are in Final Battle? Because I remember that during the summer there was a lot of speculation about botch of them fighting in the show (not against each other). I don´t care too much about Okada but AJ, come on, he´s having a great year in ROH and not having him in the biggest PPV of the year doesn´t make sense tu me.
Sandy Fork

Post by Sandy Fork »

AlexROH wrote:Fuck! I really was looking for ReDragon vs Time Splitters III. Hope Alex Shelley´s injury is nothing too serious because this match will be a show-stealer.

Does somebody know why neither AJ nor Okada are in Final Battle? Because I remember that during the summer there was a lot of speculation about botch of them fighting in the show (not against each other). I don´t care too much about Okada but AJ, come on, he´s having a great year in ROH and not having him in the biggest PPV of the year doesn´t make sense tu me.
AJ is on the current New Japan tour, which spans over Final Battle
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

187_Joeism wrote:And this is why i hope everyone on the roster sign a exclusive contract in the future, imagine instead of Shelley the injured was Cole.
This is a valid point. As much as we're all happy for Kyle O'Reilly getting a singles push as PWG champion, that's being completely being overshadowed by his current accomplishments with Bobby Fish. What would the reaction on the board be if Kyle gets injured in PWG at some point in the near future defending the PWG championship? Do we as ROH fans then decide to jump on the exclusive contract bandwagon? Besides all that I hope Alex Shelley is okay and the injury isn't too serious. I've always felt he was severely underrated and Gabe never quite used him the way he should have back in the day.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Sandy Fork wrote:
AlexROH wrote:Fuck! I really was looking for ReDragon vs Time Splitters III. Hope Alex Shelley´s injury is nothing too serious because this match will be a show-stealer.

AJ is on the current New Japan tour, which spans over Final Battle
True, didn´t remember that, I don´t know why he has to appear in the shitty NJ tag league instead of Final Battle, which is a bigger thing :( Hope will Styles appear on a more regular basis next year, he hasn´t been beated since he returned in 2014, hope he gets a title shoot next year.
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

AlexROH wrote:True, didn´t remember that, I don´t know why he has to appear in the shitty NJ tag league instead of Final Battle, which is a bigger thing :( Hope will Styles appear on a more regular basis next year, he hasn´t been beated since he returned in 2014, hope he gets a title shoot next year.
He lost to Elgin in April in Baltimore
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

AlexROH wrote:
True, didn´t remember that, I don´t know why he has to appear in the shitty NJ tag league instead of Final Battle, which is a bigger thing :( Hope will Styles appear on a more regular basis next year, he hasn´t been beated since he returned in 2014, hope he gets a title shoot next year.
:lol:

NJPW Tag League is bigger than Final Battle dude. It's been going since 1980 and is the tag team equivalent of the G1. Don't the winners also go on to challenge for the tag belts at Wrestle Kingdom? Yeah Wrestle Kingdom is literally the second biggest wrestling show of the year so any show that sets up a challenger for a title at that show is bigger than Final Battle.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

dhads7161 wrote:
AlexROH wrote:
:lol:

NJPW Tag League is bigger than Final Battle dude. It's been going since 1980 and is the tag team equivalent of the G1. Don't the winners also go on to challenge for the tag belts at Wrestle Kingdom? Yeah Wrestle Kingdom is literally the second biggest wrestling show of the year so any show that sets up a challenger for a title at that show is bigger than Final Battle.
Yeah I know I know, but, for me, The World Tag League isn´t that big. Of course is important for the IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Championship Match at WK but it isn´t as prestigious as you said. And, knowing that AJ´s team isn´t gonna be an important one, I thought that Jado y Gedo would let him go to Final Battle. BTW, show looks amazing without him too.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

New Japan-originally founded 1972
ROH- originally founded 2002

As much as I love ROH, New Japan is an organization to be respected. To say, that a "shitty tag" tournament shouldn't take priority over Final Battle is ignorant. For future reference, you might want to do your homework before insulting or belittling prestigious traditions from other professional wrestling organizations.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:New Japan-originally founded 1972

As much as I love ROH, New Japan is an organization to be respected. To say, that a "shitty tag" tournament shouldn't take priority over Final Battle is ignorant. For future reference, you might want to do your homework before insulting or belittling prestigious traditions from other professional wrestling organizations.
Sorry men, I was just giving my personal oponion and wasn´t trying to insult or disrespect NJPW. New Japan is the 2nd biggest wrestling company in the world and has been the very best one in 2014. But it kinda suprised me not to see AJ in Final Battle, it just surprised me man, Sorry.
Sandy Fork

Post by Sandy Fork »

Not surprising at all. New Japan has AJ under contract. ROH does not. New Japan takes priority
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

AlexROH wrote:
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:New Japan-originally founded 1972

Sorry men, I was just giving my personal oponion and wasn´t trying to insult or disrespect NJPW. New Japan is the 2nd biggest wrestling company in the world and has been the very best one in 2014. But it kinda suprised me not to see AJ in Final Battle, it just surprised me man, Sorry.
It's all right. I used to work with a guy that thought nothing existed but the WWE. At least you showed some interest.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Asked around on Twitter about Shelley's injury. I got this response from Voices of Wrestling:
@voiceswrestling 9h9 hours ago
@IndyPowerRankin @SASedor2994 Something to do with his hip. Not real serious but we will have to keep an eye out going forward.
Mike Adamle

Post by Mike Adamle »

Hope that means he's good to go. Didn't think about it until he got injured, but if anyone in this match is taken out before the show starts it really screws up the entire card. There's ways to make it a great card still, but nothing like what we have scheduled at this moment.

But as the card stands it looks great. Really interested in an ACH-Christopher Daniels interaction during their match to set up a match down the road.
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
WHG

Post by WHG »

I'm assuming if Shelley isn't good to go we'll know soon. It being a tag match increases the likelihood that he would go with an injury and just be limited (let Kushida carry the load of the work).

Although it would suck, I think this is the one injury that can me most easily absorbed in the card. There has been little true build to this match in the US and you have two of the best tag teams in the world waiting in a great-looking but fairly meaningless 6-man tag. When you think about having the Bucks and Addiction to work with to replace the tag title match, and ACH, Cedric, and Kushida available...they could easily make this work. I'm not big on 3-ways, but everyone initially expected reDRagon/Bucks/Addiction anyway and an ACH/Cedric/Kushida 3-way could be a great opener.