ROH Top Prospect Tournament 2015

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
YimYac

Re: ROH Top Prospect Tournament 2015

Post by YimYac »

True but neither Rowe or Hollis were indy names as JigsawvsJason said. Indy names are usually the same 5-6 people this forum begs for every year like Biff Busick or JT Dunn. The ironic part is Biff Busick, Mikey Webb and Donovan Dijak were all trained at the same place and the guy every one wanted isn't in it.
lariat_tubman

Post by lariat_tubman »

Rowe and Hollis weren't hot commodities per se but I think a lot of people knew of them. This year is all unknowns, which at least is exciting, seeing someone you've never seen wrestle before perform is always interesting.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

Corey Hollis, this time last year, was one of those guys this board was clamoring for though.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Pretty much going to agree with what everyone else has said already. A disappointing field overall, but I'm willing to let it play out and see what happens before I make judgments.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

Heh. I can now remember everyone crapping on the tournament because they were convinced Moose was going to win it. Kind of like people being convinced RT was going to win it last year. And QT the year before that.
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

Moose being in it would've made no sense as he isn't really a prospect, dunno how people thought that. Moose winning SOTF would make more sense.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

YimYac wrote:Moose being in it would've made no sense as he isn't really a prospect, dunno how people thought that. Moose winning SOTF would make more sense.
Oh no.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

YimYac wrote:Moose being in it would've made no sense as he isn't really a prospect, dunno how people thought that. Moose winning SOTF would make more sense.
You have to be ribbing us.
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

Not saying it would be a good idea but it'd make sense for him to be in SOTF not a tournament for Prospects.
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

Moose started his training in 2012, he's barely a wrestler let alone a prospect.
Last Real Man Hype
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

Marketh. wrote:Moose started his training in 2012, he's barely a wrestler let alone a prospect.

Great post. Moose should have never booked on the PPV . Moose is awful in the ring. He should still be working dark matches at best. He really should not be booked at all. Chuck Taylor , Wille Mack , Biff Busick and Drew Gulak cannot get booked at all , while Moose gets booked on a PPV . What is going on in ROH land ????
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

Moose isn't that bad now? I mean he still has much, much to improve but Tyler Black was only in the business for 4 or 5 years when he had the classic match with Nigel. Pretty sure he counted as a wrestler then.
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

Marketh completely hates Moose for whatever reason so don't read too much into it.

Moose is doing fine in my opinion, he's different than anyone else on the roster and continuing to improve. The biggest thing a lot of people here don't realize is what helps ROH is the roster variety. They don't need guys like Biff Busick or Chuck Taylor because there are already guys that fulfill those spots. I'd rather have a roster of variety than 20 of the same exact dude having the same 8 matches every show (part of why I dislike PWG).
lariat_tubman

Post by lariat_tubman »

YimYac wrote:Marketh completely hates Moose for whatever reason so don't read too much into it.

Moose is doing fine in my opinion, he's different than anyone else on the roster and continuing to improve. The biggest thing a lot of people here don't realize is what helps ROH is the roster variety. They don't need guys like Biff Busick or Chuck Taylor because there are already guys that fulfill those spots. I'd rather have a roster of variety than 20 of the same exact dude having the same 8 matches every show (part of why I dislike PWG).
I would agree if we didn't have Hanson. Hanson and Moose fulfill the same slot on the roster (to an extent, they can't brag about Hanson's NFL career) but Hanson is much better as a performer.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

YimYac wrote:Marketh completely hates Moose for whatever reason so don't read too much into it.

I wouldn't mind trading a horribly stale and transparent Strong for Busick or Gulak.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

Chuck Taylor is an unique talent. They really is no one else like him in the business. Biff provides fresh match ups , great ring work . They are both really talented , years ahead of Moose .
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

YimYac wrote:Marketh completely hates Moose for whatever reason

Here we go:

#1. He's green and it shows. Maybe he'll improve to the point where we can call him average, but until then he's still nothing.

#2. Apparently it takes being accompanied by around 4 other workers to make him interesting.

#3. His gimmick is the other wrestlers are afraid of him, but very little of what he does plays into that. Shoulder blocks don't take him down right away? He flexes and sticks his tongue out? Big deal. Rasche Brown was brought in a few years ago much the same way, except he was charismatic as Hell and looked insane. He was terrifying and his squashes ruled. Moose's gimmick, for all I can tell, is that he's a wrestling version of John Coffey without the magic dick-grabbing.

#4. There are plenty of more worthy acts out there that can be brought in for the sake of variety. Fuck Taylor, fuck Gargano. We had a brilliant comedy act with The Bravados a few years ago, wouldn't we rather have seen them and Grandma Bravado as Guardians of The Streak or some such shit? And before I'm misinterpreted, that's an example. There are plenty others out there.

#5. WHY did he even need to be involved in The New Streak? You cannot tell me that angle was improved by his presence.

This next point isn't entirely serious (it's sad I need to offer this disclaimer), but give it two seconds of thought anyway:

#6. Tell me his role in The New Streak and its ending wouldn't be much more entertaining if they just got Freight Train instead. Only problem is ROH are a much higher platform than $5 Wrestling so would probably be accused of exploiting the mentally handicapped.
Last Real Man Hype
Northwoods_Nightmare

Marketh. wrote:#6. Tell me his role in The New Streak and its ending wouldn't be much more entertaining if they just got Freight Train instead. Only problem is ROH are a much higher platform than $5 Wrestling so would probably be accused of exploiting the mentally handicapped.
I'll be honest, I would pop big time if Freight Train did an ROH show or two. His natural charisma and established fanbase (especially compared to the black hole that is Moose) could easily carry him in the right spot for one or two appearances.

I'm just imagining if they had done a #NewStreak open challenge at Final Battle. Surprise! Freight Train comes out, hits RD with the forearm, and clears the ring.

Agreed that there's really no chance of it, but ROH has definitely followed through on worse ideas than that in the past.
Northwoods_Nightmare

I'm surprised Papadon wasn't added to the tournament. He's a little more well known and obviously there's some interest seeing as how he was at Tag Wars against Strong.
dark patriot

Post by dark patriot »

Dijak,trained by Hanson and Brian Fury gets a good number of bookings in New England and has been spreading out a bit lately including his appearance in CZW last month.