Getting back into ROH

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Jbreeny

Getting back into ROH

Post by Jbreeny »

Hey guys,

I used to be a big ROH and general wrestling fan a good few years ago, but back in 2007 I prety much dropped off wrestling altogether. However I have recently started to be interested in it again and I fancied getting back into ROH and from the looks of it a bit has changed, so I was just looking at getting some advice and just general info to help get me back into things.

First off I just wanted to know how the format works with the TV shows now, is it the normal wrestling format where the to shows are used to build toward the PPVs?

And I also just wanted recommendation of shows to watch post 2007 that I would have missed that must be watched, so either the shows had amazing standout matches/feuds or big milestones for the company.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Re: Getting back into ROH

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

Just watching TV and the VOD's to get familiar with their current roster is probably the best way to get back into it. Unfortunately, ROH has been notoriously bad about scheduling their TV tapings to properly build to big shows (a lot of times the show has happened before the TV airs) but it still give you the general premise of the feuds and has some very good wrestling.

As far as a list of shows since 2007, there's a boat load of them. That's a long time. Personally, my favorite angle was the Kevin Steen story arc spanning from Final Battle 2009 through Final Battle 2012. I think a lot of people would agree that this is the best thing from that time period.
I know a few people on here keep really extensive lists of shows and ratings and all that jazz, so they can probably help more on that front.
classic-cabana
Donator
Donator

Post by classic-cabana »

Pick up best of DVDs.

Pick up all 3 Kevin Steen DVDs. Even if they are the only ones you get the El Generico fued is must see. Then you have the Steen title run which is pretty decent which would lead you to the ROH vs SCUM DVD. As a stand alone DVD set its a neat little watch.

To catch up on current stuff pick up the Elgin and Adam Cole best ofs. The Tyler Black best of covering his title run is also worth checking out, as is the Kings Of Wrestling Kings Reign Supreme set if you like your tag team wrestling,

If money is tight just sign up for Ringside and hammer the TV shows and they have nearly all events (apart from last year or so) on VOD.

BUT whatever you do pick up

Kevin Steen Ascension to the Top (Not essential and you may have seen most stuff, but as a first chapter to the Steen-Generico story its must watch.
Kevin Steen Descent Into Madness
Kevin Steen Hell Rising

There is a lot of cracking stuff you've missed out on, have fun!
Fidel Costco

Post by Fidel Costco »

I first got into ROH by watch TV, then bought a VOD. Been hooked since.
sg86

Post by sg86 »

Buy a ringside membership, even if it's for a month, and you can watch every episode of ROH TV.

It's been solidly great all year long.
WHG

Post by WHG »

Ditto the idea of getting the Ringside Membership. You can watch every TV episode, a lot of which will include matches from the bigger shows...and it will give you every VOD event from 2013 up to September, plus a bunch from prior years. This is at least the least expensive, if not the best, way to get caught up.

For TV I would start in late 2013 around the time that Cole won the tournament to win the title. I think it's generally been very good since then.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

I didn't know Ringside got you every VOD. How often do they add new ones on there?
I never got it before because I watch TV as it airs and don't buy enough merch to barely break even on the membership, but if this is the case I might have to look into this.
WHG

Post by WHG »

Just to be clear, the VODs included are added after they're a year old and expire from the PPV page. You can browse the Ringside Members left menu tree on the VOD page of the website to see the events included. There's a handful from each year through 2009, then 12 events from 2010, 12 from 2011, 18 from 2012, and every event (17 so far) from 2013 ending at 9/7 Road to Greatness Night 2. They've been adding the new from shows 1 year + ago on a rolling basis every few months.

By my count there's a total of 81 VODs included, plus every SBG episode and Season 1 of HD Net...and the 15% merch and 25% iPPV/VOD discounts. It's actually a great deal, IMO.