The Briscoes, Maria/Mike, and Taven Headed to New Japan?

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Ladrao12

Re: The Briscoes, Maria/Mike, and Taven Headed to New Japan?

Post by Ladrao12 »

Burnside wrote:
WHG wrote:The thing everyone seems to be glossing over is that NJPW effectively provided a good portion of their biggest talent for 2 shows...and none of us know the financial arrangement for any of that.
I do know a bit about that, as I spoke with some people backstage at the Hammerstein show.

For the May shows, NJPW paid for the Japanese fly-in guys, including airfare. NJPW also got a cut of the profits for both shows.

When ROH guys go to Japan, NJPW pays for them (including airfare).

NJPW would probably ALLOW ROH to book Japanese fly-ins between tours, but on ROH's dime. The reason there haven't been any probably has more to do with ROH's budget than NJPW allowing it to happen.

AJ Styles gets about $1000 per show from ROH (which is less than he gets from most indies, but there are exposure benefits from ROH that make it worth it for guys to accept less money). That $1000 per show is more - by quite a bit - than anybody else on ROH shows gets (the Briscoes as a pair get $1000).

The reason AJ doesn't work smaller ROH shows like the "Road to..." shows isn't because he has "negotiated a deal where he doesn't HAVE to"; it's a budget issue on the ROH side. AJ would probably be happy to work those shows if ROH could pay him to be on them (he certainly works smaller shows than those).

The "AJ and the Bucks don't count as NJPW talent because they worked for ROH before/work a lot of other indies" is just some rule you guys are making up that hasn't anything to do with reality. They are NJPW guys who work on almost every NJPW tour and hold belts - if anything, they are much higher profile and more key NJPW talent than the Hooligans are.

What you're really saying is, "We want Japanese fly-ins on big ROH shows." Which is fine. But the reason you're not seeing them has more to do with ROH's budget than it does with NJPW's willingness to share talent. If RPW can pay, four times per year, to fly one NJPW star in, then obviously that's something that makes sense for RPW financially. ROH may not feel that's the best way to allocate their money. For example, in ROH's quest to attract more casual North American fans to their product, AJ Styles is considerably more valuable to them than any Okada, Nakamura, or Tanahashi - no matter how big the latter three are in Japan.

I also think it's key for ROH to convey the idea that their OWN talent are stars. It's dangerous for them to send the message - which right now I think is already the case for some fans - that the core roster isn't enough and Ring of Honor shows are only "big" and "important" if they include expensive guest talent.
Much better argument than your first.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

Ladrao12 wrote:
Much better argument than your first.
I eagerly await your star rating.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

I think he was talking about the NJPW Road to Shows, because AJ generally doesn't work New Japan tours.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Robareid wrote:I think he was talking about the NJPW Road to Shows, because AJ generally doesn't work New Japan tours.
You are correct. I was referring to the New Japan "Road To..." Shows. Here's my full comment for clarification, which a particular distinction in bold:
I'd also bet he has a deal in place where he doesn't have to work any of the "Road To..." Tour Shows, but just the major shows like PPVs, which allows him to work in North America
Tim

Post by Tim »

Anyone else think Taven going to New Japan is a good thing and it may help improve his in ring work?
DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

Tim wrote:Anyone else think Taven going to New Japan is a good thing and it may help improve his in ring work?
oh for sure. great experience for him
"Money kept, is twice as good as money burned
And money won, is twice as sweet as money earned"
DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

"neither Adam Cole nor Jay Briscoe will be on the card (Jan 4 Wrestle Kingdom show)" - Dave Meltzer in this week's wrestling observer newsletter www.wrestlingobserver.com
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

DirtyDave wrote:"neither Adam Cole nor Jay Briscoe will be on the card (Jan 4 Wrestle Kingdom show)" - Dave Meltzer in this week's wrestling observer newsletter http://www.wrestlingobserver.com
Based on what supersonic posted in the New Japan Thread, it seems as though the 4 Hour Time Limit on the PPV was the leading culprit in the decision.
DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:
DirtyDave wrote:"neither Adam Cole nor Jay Briscoe will be on the card (Jan 4 Wrestle Kingdom show)" - Dave Meltzer in this week's wrestling observer newsletter http://www.wrestlingobserver.com
Based on what supersonic posted in the New Japan Thread, it seems as though the 4 Hour Time Limit on the PPV was the leading culprit in the decision.
exactly
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

My dream "make good" scenario.

Invasion Attack continues to be in early April as usual, assuming Easter isn't as big of a deal in Japan.

That then allows many of the sexier talent to be available for SCOH9, not the puro juggernauts like Okada, Nakamura, and Tanahashi of course, but Styles, Bucks, Time Splitters, etc. to allow the show far more depth than SCOH8 had.

As a reward, Invasion Attack a week later has an ROH TItle match on the PPV broadcast.
BTW10

Post by BTW10 »

NWA Title match has been added to Wrestle Kingdom, FYI.
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

BTW10 wrote:NWA Title match has been added to Wrestle Kingdom, FYI.
Who against who?
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
ICHIFUJI

Post by ICHIFUJI »

GFW presents NWA Title match sounds funny.
(so I don't think ROH title match for WK)
Sandy Fork

Post by Sandy Fork »

jordidebaas wrote:
BTW10 wrote:NWA Title match has been added to Wrestle Kingdom, FYI.
Who against who?
Tenzan challenging Conway
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

I'm fine without an ROH Title contest at WK. The NWA Title bouts have lent a certain stench about the entire Western title defense concept.

I know the mass representation of the title is probably a good thing, but sharing a title defense with the likes of the modern NWA cheapens both championships.
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

Wilson wrote:I'm fine without an ROH Title contest at WK. The NWA Title bouts have lent a certain stench about the entire Western title defense concept.

I know the mass representation of the title is probably a good thing, but sharing a title defense with the likes of the modern NWA cheapens both championships.
The NWA title being represented and the ROH title not doesn't really help either. You might say it keeps the stench of the NWA going and presented on a higher level than ROH.
Last Real Man Hype
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

New Japan is the only place who still gives a crap about the NWA title.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Marketh. wrote:
Wilson wrote:I'm fine without an ROH Title contest at WK. The NWA Title bouts have lent a certain stench about the entire Western title defense concept.

The NWA title being represented and the ROH title not doesn't really help either. You might say it keeps the stench of the NWA going and presented on a higher level than ROH.
I hear you, I should say that an ROH Title defense should not be contested at WK only if it does not supplant the NWA Title match. Otherwise, I'm all in for ROH to represent themselves in any capacity. In essence, what I am against is the conjunction of both defenses in the same show.

For example, what if the ROH Title match is booked to be before the NWA Title match? ROH would be considered below to NWA in a pretty direct manner. In a similar way, it would ROH conceding to have the third most important belt on the show. And does it really help ROH if their championship bout is billed at the head of the show?