Didn't someone try to pay Joe to drop the Title in Japan?

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
RoaringElbow

Didn't someone try to pay Joe to drop the Title in Japan?

Post by RoaringElbow »

Wow it's been awhile guys. Anyways I can't find much information, but isn't there a story of someone trying to pay Samoa Joe to drop the ROH Title in Japan? They were trying to steal it away to build up a midcarder or something? Please tell me you know what I'm talking about...
BlackLesnar

Re: Didn't someone try to pay Joe to drop the Title in Japan

Post by BlackLesnar »

Only evidence I can find of him competing in Japan at the time was a Zero-1 tour. In which he was under his usual King Joe name and exclusively in tag matches. Then again he might've done some scuzzy little indie show that doesn't keep records.
He also wrestled a bit at the New Japan Dojo in California, including a title defense against a much younger, much lighter Togi Makabe. Not sure if NJPW would be that underhanded though.

On the topic on the ROH Title, any basis to the rumor that Xavier winning the title was Daniels' idea, because he didn't want it?
I'm gonna be at the top of the mountain in three years, with or without this belt. I'm gonna be the best that ever lived. And what you don't understand is, even if I don't get that far, at least I had the courage to get off my ass and try.
ICHIFUJI

Post by ICHIFUJI »

Who in Japan could beat Joe?
Misawa & Kobashi did but they never wanted ROH title.
adduvall84

Post by adduvall84 »

BlackLesnar wrote:Only evidence I can find of him competing in Japan at the time was a Zero-1 tour. In which he was under his usual King Joe name and exclusively in tag matches. Then again he might've done some scuzzy little indie show that doesn't keep records.
He also wrestled a bit at the New Japan Dojo in California, including a title defense against a much younger, much lighter Togi Makabe. Not sure if NJPW would be that underhanded though.

On the topic on the ROH Title, any basis to the rumor that Xavier winning the title was Daniels' idea, because he didn't want it?
Not sure about the Xavier thing, but Daniels not wanting it is the only feasible explanation as to why he didn't get it. I realize they were trying to build homegrown stars, but Daniels beating Low Ki and building to a HUGE Daniels /Joe payoff would've been great. Actually cutting the middle man and just having Daniels be the first champion would've probably been better. You still bring in Joe as the Prophecy's hired gun and tease a Joe face turn until it inevitably happens and Joe becomes the first baby face champion, freeing ROH from under Daniels' thumb.
Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/adduvall1984
RoaringElbow

Post by RoaringElbow »

Damn. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong. I thought it was one of the reasons ROH was so protective of its world champion. Either NOAH or New Japan or someone wanted to payoff Joe to drop the world title to a midcarder. They were gonna use the title to buildup a sort of midcarder. I couldn't have made this all up in my head right?
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

RoaringElbow wrote:Damn. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong. I thought it was one of the reasons ROH was so protective of its world champion. Either NOAH or New Japan or someone wanted to payoff Joe to drop the world title to a midcarder. They were gonna use the title to buildup a sort of midcarder. I couldn't have made this all up in my head right?
I don't know about the "paying off Joe to drop the title" deal, by NOAH was clearly interested in using the ROH title to build one of their guys, as they did exactly that with Morishima.

I had never heard the Daniels/Xavier story before, but it sounds plausible.
Baxter Stockman

Post by Baxter Stockman »

New Japan wanted Gabe to put the ROH title on Togi Makabe. I've heard several times that it was a deal breaker as far as the original working relationship between ROH and NJPW went. I don't know the original source of this story though.

I'm assuming this is the story OP is thinking of. I've never heard of a Japanese fed actually trying to steal away the ROH title. Almost certain that never happened.
RoaringElbow

Post by RoaringElbow »

Baxter Stockman wrote:New Japan wanted Gabe to put the ROH title on Togi Makabe. I've heard several times that it was a deal breaker as far as the original working relationship between ROH and NJPW went. I don't know the original source of this story though.

I'm assuming this is the story OP is thinking of. I've never heard of a Japanese fed actually trying to steal away the ROH title. Almost certain that never happened.
Maybe that's it... I thought it went deeper than that tho...
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Never heard anything about the Joe thing, but I vaguely remember hearing/reading either Daniels or Gabe say/write that the idea of putting the belt on Xavier was to surprise people (because him joining the Prophecy was a big swerve in and of itself) and that they wanted to build up the idea that the Prophecy's champion who would be seen as unworthy by the fans, to ensure that he wouldn't get smarky cheers.