ROH to Celebrate 13th Anniversary in LAS VEGAS!

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Chief

Re: ROH to Celebrate 13th Anniversary in LAS VEGAS!

Post by Chief »

Well Todd Sinclair took a pretty good looking bump...
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

I just caught a replay. It was a pretty interesting PPV. I am inclined to agree with a lot that has been said. Here are some minor points:

- Cedric/Sydal got unreal heat in the beginning as a benefit of being the opening match. There were some winsome exchanges and good vibrations all around. It was probably my second favorite match of the night.
- Mark's song is like Eddie's Die Hard theme but with more bells and whistles. If booking would treat him better he could be one of ROH's better underdogs. I don't think it's ridiculous to position him as the current day Generico.
- If you are live, resist the temptation, and don't cheer Moose. You don't have to be mean to him, but he is moving up the card too fast. He is so green for heaven's sake! It may not be the ROH of old, but there is at least some workrate legacy to uphold!
- Veda is becoming a supermodel.
- Maria is a supermodel.
- I understand why BJ is the voice of The Decade, but we should really be at the point where Page is the star of the group. Label him as "A Decade in the Making," Adam Page. When a booker is underhanded a creative opportunity he should knock it back.
- Karl Anderson is great. Daniels is very over (main event over). Kaz might be on his last legs as in-ring performer. Taven and Bennett seem to be getting there finally.
- Playing the impromptu has always been a factor in face/face matchups, but usually it vacillates between the two performers. ACH actually became a heel for 20 minutes. Showing up as a face the next week makes him look "indy" in the pejorative sense.
- Young Bucks/reDRagon are the Briscoes/GenNext of the modern day. I hope we get to see reDRagon blossom into rich singles stars. To further my allusion, I see Fish becoming Aries and Kyle as the Strong of the two.
- Oh, and that match was incredible. I liked that they wore the same accents in their clothing. Theya re very evenly matched in skill and attitude. My favorite contest so far of what they've done. ****1/2, tied for ROH MOTY so far.
- Lethal/Patron was less than it should have been. I can tell Patron is uncomfortable working in ROH. I really thought it could have reached a **** level before the PPV because they seem to me both Old School wrestlers at heart.
- Joe's range of intonation really put their mixing equipment to the test. Despite some audio hiccups, Samoa Joe proved that he is an incredible story teller. Don't book him like your other main eventers please!
- Briscoe/Elgin/Ciampa/Hanson started out great. Hanson and Elgin came out to crickets, tumbleweeds, and rickety porch chairs, but Ciampa and Briscoe really came out hot. Briscoe does an impressive series to start and Ciampa has a presence about him for the opening minutes. Unfortunately, the match goes to gimmick Hell and is never brought back to the pace it set off. Everyone ended looking very, very weak as a result. The champion, the contenders, Rowe, KRD, Nigel, and even Turner all came off like idiots. It was a complex matrix of storytelling--and to some degree I commend them for trying--but it was presented so impotently. There is no reason their World Champion should be booked so meekly.
- Joe/Briscoe for the ROH Title!
Chief

Post by Chief »

After watching RAW, the main event finish doesn't seem so bad...
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

Chief wrote:After watching RAW, the main event finish doesn't seem so bad...
Well, Raw didn't cost 45 bucks to watch.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

The finish of the main event match was changed because Ciampa got hurt . Ciampa took a nasty bump when he fell off the ringpost onto the floor. Ciampa may have even been booked to win , but he could not finish the match . Go rewatch the match and check Ciampa twitter.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Yes Ciampa was hurt. Was he going to win? No.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:Yes Ciampa was hurt. Was he going to win? No.

Are you sure ? I am not . Who knows . Finishes are changed on the fly because of injury all of the time. I don't know how his injury affected the outcome.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

I think that the impact (no pun intended) of Joe showing up is greater with Briscoe retaining than Ciampa capturing the title because of their history.
ninetwentyfour

Post by ninetwentyfour »

Sydal/Alexander - ***
Moose/M Briscoe - **3/4
Tag - **1/2
Whitmer/Strong - **1/2
ODB/Maria - Who Cares?
Styles/ACH - ***1/4
Bucks/RD - ****
Del Rio/Lethal - **3/4
Hanson/Ciampa/Elgin/J Brsicoe - **

I enjoyed this show the least of the three PPVs, although probably on par overall with FB. BITW was easily the most enjoyable/consistent show of the three, although it lacked the blowaway match that saved this and FB from being borderline lackluster.

It's too bad ROH just can't seem to hit its potential on the bigger shows. The house shows have actually been clicking a lot for me lately at least between SOTF N1, Dayton, and Atlanta.
AssShooter

Post by AssShooter »

Memphis Mark wrote:
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:Yes Ciampa was hurt. Was he going to win? No.
Are you sure ? I am not . Who knows . Finishes are changed on the fly because of injury all of the time. I don't know how his injury affected the outcome.
Maybe he was supposed to kick out at 2,99 after the lucky pin by Jay Briscoe and take another big finisher after ?
That makes sense imo.
ImageImage
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

I gotta say I was pretty disappointed in terms of match quality, but that's what usually happens when a show focuses on big names rather than bringing the best wrestling. Apart from the opener and the tag title match I thought every match under delivered, even though I really enjoyed Styles/ACH.

What absolutely pisses me off is the fact that Jay Briscoe's inability to have good wrestling matches has caused an ROH main event to include chair shots, table bumps, ref bumps and interferences. I'm not gonna go on a rant that ROH isn't what it used to be, that's not what upsets me. What upsets me is the fact that ROH claims to offer the best wrestling in America and the undercard, midcard and upper midcard deliver on a regular basis. Guys like Sydal, Alexander, Addiction, Bucks, Kingdom, reDRagon, Lethal really busted their ass on Sunday.
And then the main event of a promotion focussing on wrestling delivers freaking chair shots, table bumps, interferences, ref bumps, etc. That is particularly pathetic on an Anniversary Show that by its very nature brings back memories from the past, when ROH stood against any of these things mentioned, especially in the main event.
And when you really think about it, it's been a looooong time, since ROH has a real wrestling champion, who could deliver quality matches against anybody, guaranteeing the fans that the main event of an ROH show was an absolute must-see WRESTLING match.
Steen wasn't that kind of guy, Jay Briscoe certainly wasn't that kind of guy the first time he held the belt, Cole, as great as he is, was not the guy who put out MOTYC after the next, Elgin wasn't that kind of guy (even though he could have come closest with a longer reign, but he couldn't generate emotional investment from the crowd) and Jay Briscoe once again is simply not up to it.
How long do we have to accept hardcore Gimmick Matches or overbooked 4 Corner Survival Matches (the fact they did not even use the traditional 4 Corner Survival rules is a testimony to the fact Briscoe can't deliver great wrestling matches) that cover up Briscoe's inabilty to have great wrestling matches?
Everybody who reads my posts knows I'm overly positive about everything ROH does, but I'm really getting frustrated by having to sit through these types of matches. I absolutely am not interested to constantly see ROH title matches feature cheap plastic chair shots, table bumps or an overbooked mess. I certainly could watch WWE if I were interested in that.

Even though the paragraph above sounds negative, I thought the booking was tremendous for this show. Every match featured some kind of storyline progress, character development or was building up new matches.
From the slight hints at an Alexander heel turn, after appearing to be devasted he once again couldn't pull out the win, the tensions between Veda and Moose, the kiss of death by Whitmer that resulted in his downfall, Kingdom getting a win over the Bullet Club, ODB and Briscoe getting redemption and destroying the title of love, ACH letting out his cocky self, the closure of the best tag team rivalery in years, Lethal and the HOT getting a big time win that will certainly be used to launch a further progression of Lethal's character all the way up to the main event that had the intriguing Elgin/Joe confrontation, the post-match Showdown between Jay and Joe, Ciampa helping McGuinness, Elgin getting physical on Nigel. Every match featured a progression of storylines. For all the flake he gets, my hat's off to Delirious. Of course I hated the booking of the main event, but that was simply the only way to book at least an entertaining match devoid of exposing Jay Briscoe's deficiencies.
Production was also a big, big improvment from the last two shows, and all in all I did enjoy the show, but I can't help feeling a bit disgusted after that main event.

Sydal/Alexander *** 3/4
Moose/Briscoe ** 1/2
Whitmer/Strong ***
Triple Threat Tag Team *** 1/2
ODB/Maria ** 1/4
Styles/ACH *** 3/4
reDRagon/Bucks **** 1/2
Lethal/El Patron *** 1/2
4 Corner Survival ** 1/2
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
ninetwentyfour

Post by ninetwentyfour »

I don't think the problem with the World Title scene has been the talent as much as it's some sort of philosophy up top. This has really gone a bit under the radar, but their main title scene has really not been good the last couple of years.

It can't be a coincidence that the one blip with Elgin in-ring the last few years was his title run. Granted, I know he has his detractors. Lackluster matches with Strong, O'Reilly (Someone he's always had particularly good chemistry with), Alexander (Coming off that revered Dayton match), and the title switch with Jay. Sure the match with Ciampa at FB didn't have much going for it, but if you put aside how unover he is currently, he's back to delivering in the ring on a consistent basis since dropping it.

Agree on Cole. Just isn't the guy who's going to have the types of matches people expect on the ROH level as the top champion consistently, but especially working heel. It made all the sense in the world when I heard he (And Bennett) and Cornette still talk on a regular basis.

Jay was delivering in his first run, when he was actually getting opportunities. Including a good extended title match with BJ Whitmer. I actually think Jay running the gauntlet with the roster for 20-minutes on the tour is one of the more interesting things that they can do right now. Does anyone even know what they're doing with Jay? What a piss poor run. He's had literally zero chances of doing anything since getting the title back in September.
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

that's why I'm demanding a return to the high quality wrestling main event that ROH used to deliver, the lack of a proper ROH Championship match (as I've argued the trend can be traced back all the way to Steen) is really hindering my enjoyment of ROH at the moment.

O'Reilly needs to be given the belt as soon as possible, he'd be the only solution I can come up with to guarantee quality wrestling in ROH Championship Matches.
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
DieHard

Post by DieHard »

Sydal/Alexander - ***1/2
Moose/Briscoe - Fun, I'm a fan of Moose
Tag - ***
BJ/Strong - **1/2
Styles/ACH - ***
Bucks/RD - ****1/4
ADR/Lethal - ***
ME - Shhh

If this makes sense, I think the show was too stacked. It was too much for 3 hours, and matches like Styles/ACH didn't get the time they deserved. But other than that, fun show with Bucks/RD and Sydal/Alexander being the standouts. The ME sucked, Elgin is the worst, hopefully his ME push is finally finished.
MOOSE!
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

DieHard wrote:
If this makes sense, I think the show was too stacked. It was too much for 3 hours, and matches like Styles/ACH didn't get the time they deserved. But other than that, fun show with Bucks/RD and Sydal/Alexander being the standouts. The ME sucked, Elgin is the worst, hopefully his ME push is finally finished.
Elgin was pretty much the only redeeming aspect of this train wreck, absolut pathetic main event and it's about time sb takes the belt off Briscoe, he's bringing down shows a lot with his crappy title matches.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

JigsawVs.Jason wrote:
Elgin was pretty much the only redeeming aspect of this train wreck, absolut pathetic main event and it's about time sb takes the belt off Briscoe, he's bringing down shows a lot with his crappy title matches.
Ironically he's been delivering in tag matches, though. After defeating AEP, I'd say Lethal is being pushed as the guy to do take the title.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

JigsawVs.Jason wrote:Elgin was pretty much the only redeeming aspect of this train wreck, absolut pathetic main event and it's about time sb takes the belt off Briscoe, he's bringing down shows a lot with his crappy title matches.
What crappy matches exactly ? Cole was great, ACH was fairly well received and while the storyline sucked and dragged on forever, the matches against Bennett and Taven were good enough.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

DBSommer wrote:
JigsawVs.Jason wrote:
Ironically he's been delivering in tag matches, though. After defeating AEP, I'd say Lethal is being pushed as the guy to do take the title.
Indeed he has. Both tag matches from Dayton and Atlanta were stellar, a further reason to just end this singles run already.
AndyDiaz

Post by AndyDiaz »

Just finished watching the show, and overall I enjoyed every match.

The KRD stuff is kinda lame if the reveal is just going to be the Kingdom which I hope it isn't.

Joe!!!
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Possibly building towards the future? I'll just leave this here...
@NickJacksonYB
Before this ReDRagon feud is all set and done I'd love to beat them in a ladder match. @theBobbyFish @ROHOreilly