Free Selez

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
monster mafia

Free Selez

Post by monster mafia »

It’s interesting to note that Seleziya Sparx, who works for Ring of Honor as a manager/bodyguard for The House of Truth, alongside Truth Martini and Jay Lethal, is also stuck in Canada as the Canadian border isn’t allowing her access to the United States. While we don’t have as many details on why Seleyzia hasn’t been allowed back into the United States, she too is a Canadian citizen and works for many American independent promotions while also playing her role in ROH. From her official Twitter page @SeleyziaSparx it seems that Sparx has been banned from crossing the US border for 5 years, which seems very harsh. She has started a hashtag #FreeSelez to gain awareness and is protesting the ban. No word on how ROH management views her situation but in a week where Michael Elgin is in a similar situation it’s highly likely they’re too happy.
Burnside

Re: Free Selez

Post by Burnside »

What I don't understand is how these people with expired visas thought they were going to be allowed back in once they left. Kyle O'Reilly avoided going back to Canada for like a year for exactly this reason.
Lazyking

Post by Lazyking »

I find it funny that these wrestlers are making it sound like they're a victim.
lariat_tubman

Post by lariat_tubman »

Well hopefully it all gets sorted out and she will be able to come back to the US but I would like to know why she is banned, that seems awful harsh.
JustSkiff

Post by JustSkiff »

Her's might actually be a mistake, as she was caught the same time Page & Alexander were, and it looks like they have worked things out for themselves. You would think that she would have done the same procedures as they did.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

JustSkiff wrote:Her's might actually be a mistake, as she was caught the same time Page & Alexander were, and it looks like they have worked things out for themselves. You would think that she would have done the same procedures as they did.
Page and Alexander are U.S. citizens.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

I see what you did there.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

Burnside wrote:
JustSkiff wrote:Her's might actually be a mistake, as she was caught the same time Page & Alexander were, and it looks like they have worked things out for themselves. You would think that she would have done the same procedures as they did.
I'm pretty sure North Carolina is a province of Canada, although it looks like Scotland is going to declare its independence from the hoseheads. Good for them, I say.
bigz38

Post by bigz38 »

Apparently for her, the border agent pulled up a collection of her matches from one of those internet databases, and went through her passport to confirm that most/all of her crossings led to her working shows without a work visa. So for crossing over illegally all these times, that's how she got this megaban.
AssShooter

Post by AssShooter »

bigz38 wrote:Apparently for her, the border agent pulled up a collection of her matches from one of those internet databases, and went through her passport to confirm that most/all of her crossings led to her working shows without a work visa. So for crossing over illegally all these times, that's how she got this megaban.
Where did you read that ?
ImageImage
JustSkiff

Post by JustSkiff »

I thought that's why she was getting booked as #Selez so this wouldn't happen.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

JustSkiff wrote:I thought that's why she was getting booked as #Selez so this wouldn't happen.
You mean #SPARX.
Duke of Bridgewater

Post by Duke of Bridgewater »

bigz38 wrote:Apparently for her, the border agent pulled up a collection of her matches from one of those internet databases, and went through her passport to confirm that most/all of her crossings led to her working shows without a work visa. So for crossing over illegally all these times, that's how she got this megaban.
Isn't working Indie shows rather "amateur sports" than actual "employment"?
I guess the payment isn't covering much more than the travel costs.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

Duke of Bridgewater wrote:
Isn't working Indie shows rather "amateur sports" than actual "employment"?
I guess the payment isn't covering much more than the travel costs.
If you're paid, it's employment.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Indeed #FreeSelez. Best looking female in ROH right now, going to suck to just have Scarlett Bordeaux and buttfaced Maria Kannelis now.
Sandy Fork

Post by Sandy Fork »

Burnside wrote:
Which explains them living in Ontario in their day life.
One of the companies Page works for (AAW, AIW or ROH) most likely went to bat for him/sponsored his work visa. And Alexander only got back into wrestling in the states fairly recently after calling it quits on making it in the states to focus on his real job and girlfriend
bigz38

Post by bigz38 »

AssShooter wrote:
Where did you read that ?
PWInsider had something about it.

Just researching the Sports aspect, nope, it has to be an actual sport.

The basic issue is that (especially) indie wrestlers are truly independent contractors, and work visas need to be sponsored (ie, paid) by a business. And it'll be pretty expensive for any indie company to do that for a wrestler.

Likewise, Canada actually has a law that says Performing artists, including "World Wrestling Entertainment wrestlers (and members of similar groups), " don't need a work permit if they're just in the country for a short visit.
XHC

Post by XHC »

DBSommer wrote:
Burnside wrote:
I'm pretty sure North Carolina is a province of Canada, although it looks like Scotland is going to declare its independence from the hoseheads. Good for them, I say.
Hoseheads? Never heard that one before. What's that all about?

___xHc___
Canterbury, England Division
NUFC___xHc___ROH
Sardonic Artery

Post by Sardonic Artery »

dhads7161 wrote:Indeed #FreeSelez. Best looking female in ROH right now, going to suck to just have Scarlett Bordeaux and buttfaced Maria Kannelis now.
Oh, you're that guy? You think this one pretty woman looks better than this other pretty woman so the first one is ugly?
I am cosmetically pleasing.