Elgin leaving?

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
DirtyDave

Re: Elgin leaving?

Post by DirtyDave »

from today's wrestling observer daily news update...

--In a weird way, Ring Of Honor lucked out on the last minute decision to take the title off Michael Elgin last night. Elgin ended up stopped at the border due to working visa issues and will not be allowed in the U.S. for 90 days. That had nothing to do with him losing the title, which was for a variety of reasons, most discussed last night. But had they not done it, they'd have been without a champion or would have had to strip him of the title in an awkward manner.
"Money kept, is twice as good as money burned
And money won, is twice as sweet as money earned"
brian

Post by brian »

Elgin really looks bad with being lazy with his paperwork. Unless for some reason his marriage to MsChif isn't legal he should have had a green card a long time ago. O'Reilly wasn't married very long before he was able to go back to Canada.
lariat_tubman

Post by lariat_tubman »

brian wrote:Elgin really looks bad with being lazy with his paperwork. Unless for some reason his marriage to MsChif isn't legal he should have had a green card a long time ago. O'Reilly wasn't married very long before he was able to go back to Canada.
ROH looks bad too. I mean it's on Elgin to figure it out but someone at ROH should have been on top of it as well.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

The Dragon Saga wrote:
indyfan wrote:What does Elgin losing in PWG have to do with ROH? He's not booked as the ROH champ. We all know wrestling is scripted. If you can't separate the two companies...its your problem.

and ROH will never pull out. Their shows aren't televised or on ippv.

PWG s worst shows are on par with ROHs best shows over the last few years.

Plus their fans make a way beeter atmosphere than ROHs.
Two entirely different products. Totally incomparable. Plus the only reason PWG has the spot it has right now is because ROH grew up, had it not been for ROH transitioning to a TV/iPPV and now PPV product, they'd still be the super indy and PWG would either be in its shadow or not there at all, because it's not like Excalibur or Super Dragon have been shy about saying at more then one point have they considered over the years packing it all in when business wasn't going so good.
bik100 wrote:
The Dragon Saga wrote:If ROH pulled out it would be Evolve/DGUSA with guys from the Carolinas a big name if they're lucky like an AJ Styles or a Matt Sydal.
Business hasn't changed for them after losing Generico and Steen, and they were by far the only ones that could have made a sizable difference.
So you're saying that if ROH pulled all its guys from PWG, leaving pretty much the DSGUSA/Evolve roster, with a couple of fly ins and some California independent talent that their business would be the same? Because I can categorically tell you if you think that then you're insane. They lost Steen and Generico, they replaced them with more names, AJ Styles holds a lot more weight and value then either Kevin Steen or El Generico, lets be real here.
So if PWG and ROH are incomparable, then why are you even complaining about Trevor lee beating Elgin. By your logic it shouldn't matter.

And theres no way to prove that PWG wouldn't be in the spot they are now if ROH stayed the same size.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

from elgins twitter:

-I'm going to make something clear. I wasn't giving up to play baseball. I wanted to prove to myself I could do it. Trying out doesn't hurt

-Anything at all, @ringofhonor did not tell me there was an issue with wanted to try something. Wrestle still has my full attention and love

-I wanted to prove to myself I could do something. There has been issues but oh well. @ringofhonor is being helpful and are great ppl.

-I love wrestling but wanted to test myself outside of wrestling. Don't talk unless you know everything.

-I'm saying is ROH didn't say there was an issue becusse there wasn't. I'm saying @ringofhonor has been great to me and is in this situation
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

ROH Pittsburgh @ROHPittsburgh · 7 min

Interesting about Elgin. I read this a week ago & wondered how he could work Toronto. Guess it was a real issue...
https://m.facebook.com/legendcitywrestl ... 2225987802

So they knew Elgin´s problem before the iPPV, props to him for cross the border and drop the title.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

^^ its not his decision.

I agree with Supersonics views on Elgin.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

No one can force him to cross and stay away 90 days or more from his family
Smile

Post by Smile »

Wrestling News World

http://www.wrestlingnewsworld.com/inter ... mpionship/
Jay Briscoe beat Michael Elgin to win the ROH Championship at their All Star Extravaganza VI iPPV on Saturday night from Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

There’s an interesting back story to Elgin dropping the title as we heard a couple of weeks ago he was no longer happy with ROH and had reached out to TNA Wrestling to see if they had interest in him. In our original story — published here on WrestlingNewsWorld.com — we noted how TNA tried to sign Elgin when they were trying to bring in new talent to build momentum for their tapings in New York City.

At the time, he had no interest because there were things he wanted to accomplish in Ring of Honor. Now, it was TNA telling Elgin they didn’t have a spot for him.

Prior to Saturday’s ROH iPPV, Elgin told Brian Fritz he planned to tryout next year for Major League Baseball. He confirmed that he’s hired a batting coach and has been doing conditioning, specifically focused on baseball. You can listen to that interview at this link.

Additionally, Elgin has problems with his work visa and is currently having to cancel dates in the United States. At present, he is unable to work outside of Canada.
lariat_tubman

Post by lariat_tubman »

So Elgin is a whiney, entitled jerk who has backstage heat but he wants to quit ROH to play baseball then go to TNA wrestling but also has visa issues? :lol:

Not saying that some of this might not be true but yikes how many more stories are going to come out!
WHG

Post by WHG »

I don't buy the TNA story for a second. Who in their right mind with an active contract and in the midst of a title run would approach TNA since the Spike story came out? You'd think one would at least wait for the TV situation to settle itself to ensure there will be a company beyond the next 3 months.

A few thoughts on the title change: they lucked into it with this mess. Elgin was flat before winning the title and instead of building momentum, he's actually gone backward. Another 3 months of it wouldn't have helped anyone. The only negative is that they didn't have the foresight to give it back to Cole. I envisioned him as a guy who could be a Flair in the mid-80s JCP type heel champion that lost it for a short period but manages to get it back.

On the positive side, Jay works out to be a good alternative for a few reasons:

1) Fresh matches. He's been busy in tag action and feuding with Cole, so he has a full roster of fresh challengers now.
2) He's been by far the strongest booked talent of the past couple years. Protecting him has made his no-pin streak meaningful. I'm glad they didn't throw it away for Elgin. It wouldn't have helped.
3) Because he's been booked so strong, whoever beats him will benefit greatly from that victory. Not only did he win the World title, but he pinned a guy who hasn't been beaten in however long.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

indyfan wrote: So if PWG and ROH are incomparable, then why are you even complaining about Trevor lee beating Elgin. By your logic it shouldn't matter.

And theres no way to prove that PWG wouldn't be in the spot they are now if ROH stayed the same size.
Their products are completely different. PWG doesn't give a fuck what you do. A wrestler can go to PWG and actually make 100% sure he gets all his shit in, every single move he has if he wants to do it, he can do. People often note issues with psychology in-reference to ROH on here, PWG has little to no psychology. I watched O'Reilly/Hero from Eleven and thought to myself that it was stupid, especially the elbow exchanges considering Hero uses the Discuss Elbow as a signature move. Even in the main event, the idea that Candice Lerae can take that much abuse and still get back up is retarded, but it's PWG, so it's not retarded, it's just PWG. It's their style. That's why they're the super niche product that they are. They're a DVD super indy who can in no way, shape or form effect ROH even if they wanted to.

ROH is a TV product who while can criticized at times for not being heavy on psychology or selling or any of that other stuff people like to complain about when they take a dislike to a specific wrestler, they still push it. They push their own style of wrestling where you can't get all your shit in every single night. The majority of the matches are built around seriousness and fighting spirit. They're both wrestling products but one is so much different to the other that comparing them is stupid.

The wrestlers are entirely different. Trevor Lee's a nobody, a guy from the Carolina indies who was somehow able to get a chance and has wound up getting a spot there. He shouldn't be beating the ROH World Champion. The promotions genres of wrestling and products are completely different from their sizes and the way in which the wrestlers are booked. Michael Elgin should not be losing to Trevor Lee in ROH's eyes because who the fuck is Trevor Lee and how can he beat the ROH World Champion? ROH has every right to be unhappy with that.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

How does Elgin have to have a work visa if he resides in the U.S.?
Sardonic Artery

Post by Sardonic Artery »

Not sure if I'm double posting:

Thoughts:

-I have zero qualms about the title being back on Briscoe. In another thread, I lamented that his 'not pinned in two years' schtick would just be a stepping stone for Elgin. Now my big hope is that he has a longer title reign (yup, means winning through Final Battle). Being a two-time ROH title holder who can't even hang on to it for six months combined would not be good for Briscoe.

-To be fair, Trevor Lee is being built up fast in PWG (methinks in what was Willie Mack's spot). He had a victory over Kevin Steen, too.

-I get what PWI is saying about protecting the ROH belt; I get what others are saying about baseball dreams; but I have zero qualms with what Elgin has done. I don't think he's strong on the mike, but his move set is awesome and his matches have been mostly entertaining (and when they haven't -- looking at you, Cedric Alexander -- it's not been on Elgin).

-The visa issue is a major bullet dodge. We could've had another Roddy Strong forced reign.
I am cosmetically pleasing.
stay gold

Post by stay gold »

Enlighten me on a forced Rod Strong reign. What were the circumstances behind it? Tyler getting signed out of nowhere? I dont remember too much about those shows from that era as even though I was at some of those shows, my interest was at an all time low.
Sardonic Artery

stay gold wrote:Enlighten me on a forced Rod Strong reign. What were the circumstances behind it? Tyler getting signed out of nowhere? I dont remember too much about those shows from that era as even though I was at some of those shows, my interest was at an all time low.
Bingo. Black was leaving.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Michael Elgin was pulled into a meeting prior to the Ring of Honor All Star Extravaganza event on Saturday and informed of the decision to have him drop the ROH Title to Jay Briscoe. ROH officials were said to be frustrated by a few factors, including Elgin publicly expressing his desire to try out for a baseball team, his recent dealings with members of the office staff, and that he put over Trevor Lee at a Pro Wrestling Guerrilla event.

Meanwhile, Elgin was stopped at the border on Saturday night (or early Sunday morning) and was not allowed to reenter the United States. Elgin, who was born in Canada, has an expired work visa and has been waiting for a green card. Elgin is said to be very upset with ROH management and holds them responsible for the situation. At last check, Elgin was still in Canada, while his wife, Rachel Frobel (a/k/a MsChif), an American citizen, was able to return to the United States.

Powell's POV: One would assume that Elgin will be granted U.S. citizenship now that he has married an American, so this may simply be a case of his paperwork not being processed. That said, the general feeling is that the ROH office is somehow to blame, and the office is said to be working to rectify the situation if possible. Elgin is scheduled to begin teaching at the ROH Midwest Dojo on Monday in St. Louis, Missouri, but those plans are up in the air at this point because of his inability to cross the border back into the United States.

http://www.prowrestling.net/article.php ... rder-38794
cornettefan90

Post by cornettefan90 »

Roh should have booked this Trevor lee fella to fight Elgin for the strap in roh , let's see if he can do it again shock the world type stuff
Sardonic Artery

cornettefan90 wrote:Roh should have booked this Trevor lee fella to fight Elgin for the strap in roh , let's see if he can do it again shock the world type stuff
Except the companies don't acknowledge each other in storylines... and the other big thing.
cornettefan90

Post by cornettefan90 »

Sardonic Artery wrote:
cornettefan90 wrote:Roh should have booked this Trevor lee fella to fight Elgin for the strap in roh , let's see if he can do it again shock the world type stuff
Except the companies don't acknowledge each other in storylines... and the other big thing.
Ah that whole logic thing