Elgin leaving?

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
The Dragon Saga

Re: Elgin leaving?

Post by The Dragon Saga »

Yeah, but he lost to Trevor Lee, who while he may work for PWG and while some people may like him, is a virtual nobody on the independent circuit. Hes only came into peoples radar because of PWG over the last few months. Michael Elgin is one of the top guys in ROH, which is viewed as the pinnacle of independent wrestling (even though it's not an independent promotion, you get what I mean), one of the top and most consistently booked guys on the independent circuit at least up until he signed his new ROH deal. I understand where there is an issue if they have one with him losing to Lee. It's not about making the title look bad as much as it is about making Elgin look bad, the ROH World Champion shouldn't be losing to Trevor Lee, the same way the WWE Champion shouldn't be losing to some guy whose just been on NXT a few months, like Bull Dempsey or someone.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

You can hear Adam Cole here explaining (The importance of the bookings you have while you are champion i mean).
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

fron aiw show...

AIW President Matt Wadsworth is out to give unfortunate news that Michael Elgin had to be stripped of the AIW title

For those wondering, it was reported at AIW that Michael Elgin cannot enter the US for 90 days due to an expired Visa.

plus i read from twitter that elgin is wrestling in toronto in a live vent in this moment..
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

Super Dragon should not have book Elgin to lose to Trevor Lee. SdDknows better , he is just humbing his nose at ROH .PWG showed a lack of respect for ROH . Also , Elgin should have never agreed to job out to a opening match talent. Elgin should protect the title and the company .

PWG makes a living of ROH and Evolve talent. They take advantage of the bad blood between the two companies. I am not knocking PWG , it is good business. However , they just spit in ROH 's face but having Elgin lose to Lee. One day Sinclair Broadcasting is going to pull their talent from PWG . The Elgin deal may have just moved the process along.

I am not knocking PWG and it fans , but PWG has to know it place. PWG is a couple of guys running 8 to 12 shows in a American Legion hall that seats a couple of hundred fans.
The Dragon Saga

Memphis Mark wrote: I am not knocking PWG and it fans , but PWG has to know it place. PWG is a couple of guys running 8 to 12 shows in a American Legion hall that seats a couple of hundred fans.
If you had said this on Reddit you'd have seriously had death threats.
BlackLesnar

Post by BlackLesnar »

Memphis Mark wrote: I am not knocking PWG and it fans , but PWG has to know it place. PWG is a couple of guys running 8 to 12 shows in a American Legion hall that seats a couple of hundred fans.
Which, by the same token, could be said to make whatever they do on their shows entirely fucking irrelevant.
I'm gonna be at the top of the mountain in three years, with or without this belt. I'm gonna be the best that ever lived. And what you don't understand is, even if I don't get that far, at least I had the courage to get off my ass and try.
bik100

Post by bik100 »

Memphis Mark wrote:Super Dragon should not have book Elgin to lose to Trevor Lee. SdDknows better , he is just humbing his nose at ROH .PWG showed a lack of respect for ROH . Also , Elgin should have never agreed to job out to a opening match talent. Elgin should protect the title and the company .

PWG makes a living of ROH and Evolve talent. They take advantage of the bad blood between the two companies. I am not knocking PWG , it is good business. However , they just spit in ROH 's face but having Elgin lose to Lee. One day Sinclair Broadcasting is going to pull their talent from PWG . The Elgin deal may have just moved the process along.

I am not knocking PWG and it fans , but PWG has to know it place. PWG is a couple of guys running 8 to 12 shows in a American Legion hall that seats a couple of hundred fans.
PWG would do just fine without ROH, it's a niche product that most fans would still buy if ROH guys weren't on it. Look at the BOLA participants, only 8 were from ROH. PWG gets it's pick of the litter from wherever they want and do just fine.

Kyle O'Reilly
Drew Gulak
Bobby Fish
TJ Perkins
Roderick Strong
Biff Busick
Michael Elgin
Tommaso Ciampa
Trevor Lee
Cedric Alexander
AJ Styles
Brian Myers
ACH
Kenny Omega
Adam Cole
Zack Sabre Jr
Rich Swann
Candice LeRae
Johnny Gargano
Chuck Taylor
Matt Sydal
Chris Hero
Ricochet
Chris Sabin
The Dragon Saga

If ROH pulled out it would be Evolve/DGUSA with guys from the Carolinas a big name if they're lucky like an AJ Styles or a Matt Sydal.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

What does Elgin losing in PWG have to do with ROH? He's not booked as the ROH champ. We all know wrestling is scripted. If you can't separate the two companies...its your problem.

and ROH will never pull out. Their shows aren't televised or on ippv.

PWG s worst shows are on par with ROHs best shows over the last few years.

Plus their fans make a way beeter atmosphere than ROHs.
Last edited by indyfan on Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

Then it´s NJ problem too, just look at all the DQ finish AJ has to do now.
bik100

Post by bik100 »

The Dragon Saga wrote:If ROH pulled out it would be Evolve/DGUSA with guys from the Carolinas a big name if they're lucky like an AJ Styles or a Matt Sydal.
Business hasn't changed for them after losing Generico and Steen, and they were by far the only ones that could have made a sizable difference.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Memphis Mark wrote:Super Dragon should not have book Elgin to lose to Trevor Lee. SdDknows better , he is just humbing his nose at ROH .PWG showed a lack of respect for ROH .
The same company that told him to fuck off in 2006 after busting his ass and doing business to put a true minor-leaguer like BJ Whitmer over? (Regardless of the obvious reason for doing so.)
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

supersonic wrote:
Memphis Mark wrote:Super Dragon should not have book Elgin to lose to Trevor Lee. SdDknows better , he is just humbing his nose at ROH .PWG showed a lack of respect for ROH .
The same company that told him to fuck off in 2006 after busting his ass and doing business to put a true minor-leaguer like BJ Whitmer over? (Regardless of the obvious reason for doing so.)
That has nothing to do with the subject, ROH is the bigger company, he should protect their champion.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Maybe he doesn't given a fuck especially since Elgin was being revolted by the live PWG audience and Elgin would have no effect on PWG's DVD-selling business if ROH yanks him. ROH isn't on a pedestal.
The Dragon Saga

indyfan wrote:What does Elgin losing in PWG have to do with ROH? He's not booked as the ROH champ. We all know wrestling is scripted. If you can't separate the two companies...its your problem.

and ROH will never pull out. Their shows aren't televised or on ippv.

PWG s worst shows are on par with ROHs best shows over the last few years.

Plus their fans make a way beeter atmosphere than ROHs.
Two entirely different products. Totally incomparable. Plus the only reason PWG has the spot it has right now is because ROH grew up, had it not been for ROH transitioning to a TV/iPPV and now PPV product, they'd still be the super indy and PWG would either be in its shadow or not there at all, because it's not like Excalibur or Super Dragon have been shy about saying at more then one point have they considered over the years packing it all in when business wasn't going so good.
bik100 wrote:
The Dragon Saga wrote:If ROH pulled out it would be Evolve/DGUSA with guys from the Carolinas a big name if they're lucky like an AJ Styles or a Matt Sydal.
Business hasn't changed for them after losing Generico and Steen, and they were by far the only ones that could have made a sizable difference.
So you're saying that if ROH pulled all its guys from PWG, leaving pretty much the DSGUSA/Evolve roster, with a couple of fly ins and some California independent talent that their business would be the same? Because I can categorically tell you if you think that then you're insane. They lost Steen and Generico, they replaced them with more names, AJ Styles holds a lot more weight and value then either Kevin Steen or El Generico, lets be real here.
The Dragon Saga

supersonic wrote: ROH isn't on a pedestal.
You're right, it's on a ladder with TV and iPPV and PPV and contracts and corporate owners while PWG is still selling standard definition DVD'S shot out of an American Legion Hall because Super Dragon said during a PWG Q&A on the PWG forum that he doesn't think it would do as well anywhere else but there, but the problem is where they are only fits 300 people and they're never going to be on TV, they'll never run an iPPV or PPV so they're pretty much stuck being the super indy which is fine, but it only gets you so far.

I'd say ROH is on a pretty big pedestal. Either way, Trevor Lee shouldn't have gone over Michael Elgin. Super Dragon should respect the fact ROH lets the guys do the dates, especially now considering ROH has a number of guys signing new contracts so if Super Dragon doesn't want to respect that then ROH can give PWG the finger and tell their guys to find work elsewhere.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

And that would have little to no effect on PWG's business model.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

The Dragon Saga wrote:
supersonic wrote: ROH isn't on a pedestal.
You're right, it's on a ladder with TV and iPPV and PPV and contracts and corporate owners while PWG is still selling standard definition DVD'S shot out of an American Legion Hall because Super Dragon said during a PWG Q&A on the PWG forum that he doesn't think it would do as well anywhere else but there, but the problem is where they are only fits 300 people and they're never going to be on TV, they'll never run an iPPV or PPV so they're pretty much stuck being the super indy which is fine, but it only gets you so far.

I'd say ROH is on a pretty big pedestal. Either way, Trevor Lee shouldn't have gone over Michael Elgin. Super Dragon should respect the fact ROH lets the guys do the dates, especially now considering ROH has a number of guys signing new contracts so if Super Dragon doesn't want to respect that then ROH can give PWG the finger and tell their guys to find work elsewhere.
When you're defending ROH, this is definitely not an argument you should be using.
Mr. Orange

Post by Mr. Orange »

Elgin just sent some tweets vaguely talking about what's going on. It sounds like the baseball thing really had nothing to do with it. ROH probably just felt he wasn't really delivering as champ and it would make a better story for Jay to win it back. Then the border shit happened and it was just very inconvenient.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

Michael Elgin @ROHMichaelElgin · 3 min

I'm going to make something clear. I wasn't giving up to play baseball. I wanted to prove to myself I could do it. Trying out doesn't hurt Anything at all, @ringofhonor did not tell me there was an issue with wanted to try something. Wrestle still has my full attention and love I wanted to prove to myself I could do something. There has been issues but oh well. @ringofhonor is being helpful and are great ppl. I love wrestling but wanted to test myself outside of wrestling. Don't talk unless you know everything. I'm saying is ROH didn't say there was an issue becusse there wasn't. I'm saying @ringofhonor has been great to me and is in this situation
Last edited by 187_Joeism on Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.