Elgin leaving?

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
supersonic

Re: Elgin leaving?

Post by supersonic »

So I'm going to list every positive thing about Elgin I can think of:

- understands the very basics
- provides a fun pacing to his matches
- got over on his way up the card in ROH

Now here are the negatives:
- terrible at selling from what little I've seen of him
- horrendous at verbally promoting his matches
- horrendous at displaying any personality
- lacks a superstar presence
- feels entitled to be in the major leagues of pro wrestling despite the obvious holes in his game
- foot in mouth disease
- very insecure attitude towards naysayers and critical, detail-oriented customers
- failed to maintain his momentum once he reached the top
DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

sorry wrong thread
"Money kept, is twice as good as money burned
And money won, is twice as sweet as money earned"
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:So does anyone have a link to this interview Elgin did?
http://www.betweentheropes.com/2014/09/ ... spirations
AM Dragon

Post by AM Dragon »

Only thing that's not really his fault, or at least completely is his momentum dying out. It's typical ROH booking not to put the belt on the guy when he's at his peak of overness. Tyler Black and Davey Richards both suffered from the company waiting too long to pull the trigger on them.

Also stripping Jay of the belt after his first run and having the tournament (which they should release the whole thing as a DVD) was also a problem in delaying a lot of things.
lariat_tubman

Post by lariat_tubman »

Isn't Elgin's main problem just a lack of personality? That encompasses most of the criticism of him. And a lot of people in 'the major leagues' of pro wrestling have a lot of holes in their game so I won't be too hard on him about that.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Not sure if this is true, but I heard another thing ROH is upset about (not the main reason clearly, but a small piece of the puzzle), in regards to Elgin, was him losing to Trevor Lee in BOLA (again, just a rumor I heard)...
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:Not sure if this is true, but I heard another thing ROH is upset about (not the main reason clearly, but a small piece of the puzzle), in regards to Elgin, was him losing to Trevor Lee in BOLA (again, just a rumor I heard)...
Well, Elgin doesn't have any control over that, so if they punished him with that in mind it's pretty stupid. I'm not at all suggesting they should change how things are done now, but when you allow your top talent to be booked in other promotions that's a risk you take.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

I can see why they are upset for that, look how many matches AJ lost since becoming IWGP Champion
fm20000

Post by fm20000 »

All this is from PWINSIDER

*As of this writing, Michael Elgin is still signed to a ROH contract and is not done with the company. Elgin is one of the talents who signed a new, exclusive deal awhile back that gave him a full-time salary while also giving the company the right to approve and deny independent dates that Elgin was offered to work.

*There are stories floating around that the company was not happy that Elgin didn't do more to protect the ROH title while working the independents, specifically a loss to Trevor Lee during the PWG Battle of Los Angeles tournament last week. On the surface, that certainly looks like something that ROH would be logically upset with. Since the company was first formed in 2002, they went well out of their way to protect the credibility of the championship and always asked whoever held that belt to not do jobs on the independent so. So, I do believe this to be correct, although I want to note that no one from ROH has confirmed that to me. But, if you put a gun to my head, I'd tell you that I do believe it factored into the decision.

*Another factor, which probably was a far greater concern is that according to several sources, Elgin's work visa for the United States expired and wasn't renewed early enough. I am told the responsibility for that falls on Elgin's shoulders. Not having the work visa renewed meant that Elgin, who is Canadian, was not going to be able to return to the United States after traveling from the States to Toronto for last night's iPPV. Elgin has already canceled a date with AIW in Cleveland tonight, citing paperwork issues with his visa. The word making the rounds is it might take up to 90 days to get all of Elgin's paperwork back in order. With ROH having 8 live events, including three TV tapings in the next few months, they couldn't be without their champion. So, a title switch was in order if they wanted their champion in the mix building to Final Battle in NYC.

I was told that Jay Briscoe winning the belt was not the original plan for the iPPV, so obviously something changed. However, Elgin's status with the company, as of this writing, has not.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

187_Joeism wrote:I can see why they are upset for that, look how many matches AJ lost since becoming IWGP Champion
AJ is a top talent wherever he goes while Elgin is just a midcarder in PWG (gee, I wonder why...).
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

Thelone wrote:
187_Joeism wrote:I can see why they are upset for that, look how many matches AJ lost since becoming IWGP Champion
AJ is a top talent wherever he goes while Elgin is just a midcarder in PWG (gee, I wonder why...).
He could be an opener guy in PWG, He is the ROH World Champion if he lose makes the title look bad. Imagine that Jay Briscoe goes with the "Not pin in 2 years" and loses some independent matches, the storyline loses all their credibility.
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

fm20000 wrote:All this is from PWINSIDER

*As of this writing, Michael Elgin is still signed to a ROH contract and is not done with the company. Elgin is one of the talents who signed a new, exclusive deal awhile back that gave him a full-time salary while also giving the company the right to approve and deny independent dates that Elgin was offered to work.

*There are stories floating around that the company was not happy that Elgin didn't do more to protect the ROH title while working the independents, specifically a loss to Trevor Lee during the PWG Battle of Los Angeles tournament last week. On the surface, that certainly looks like something that ROH would be logically upset with. Since the company was first formed in 2002, they went well out of their way to protect the credibility of the championship and always asked whoever held that belt to not do jobs on the independent so. So, I do believe this to be correct, although I want to note that no one from ROH has confirmed that to me. But, if you put a gun to my head, I'd tell you that I do believe it factored into the decision.

*Another factor, which probably was a far greater concern is that according to several sources, Elgin's work visa for the United States expired and wasn't renewed early enough. I am told the responsibility for that falls on Elgin's shoulders. Not having the work visa renewed meant that Elgin, who is Canadian, was not going to be able to return to the United States after traveling from the States to Toronto for last night's iPPV. Elgin has already canceled a date with AIW in Cleveland tonight, citing paperwork issues with his visa. The word making the rounds is it might take up to 90 days to get all of Elgin's paperwork back in order. With ROH having 8 live events, including three TV tapings in the next few months, they couldn't be without their champion. So, a title switch was in order if they wanted their champion in the mix building to Final Battle in NYC.

I was told that Jay Briscoe winning the belt was not the original plan for the iPPV, so obviously something changed. However, Elgin's status with the company, as of this writing, has not.
I hope this is the reason, because it would at least justify the title change.
Too bad he wasn't facing Ciampa or O'Reilly on this show, would've been much better IMO
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

187_Joeism wrote:He could be an opener guy in PWG, He is the ROH World Champion if he lose makes the title look bad. Imagine that Jay Briscoe goes with the "Not pin in 2 years" and loses some independent matches, the storyline loses all their credibility.
Then maybe Delirious should think before greenlighting the BOLA booking and say "hmm, Elgin isn't going to win BOLA and they won't protect him in defeat because he's not a top guy there, maybe we should call this off".
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

fm20000 wrote:*Another factor, which probably was a far greater concern is that according to several sources, Elgin's work visa for the United States expired and wasn't renewed early enough. I am told the responsibility for that falls on Elgin's shoulders. Not having the work visa renewed meant that Elgin, who is Canadian, was not going to be able to return to the United States after traveling from the States to Toronto for last night's iPPV. Elgin has already canceled a date with AIW in Cleveland tonight, citing paperwork issues with his visa. The word making the rounds is it might take up to 90 days to get all of Elgin's paperwork back in order. With ROH having 8 live events, including three TV tapings in the next few months, they couldn't be without their champion. So, a title switch was in order if they wanted their champion in the mix building to Final Battle in NYC.
Woah.
That's a pretty serious reason and makes a lot of sense. Way more sense than a interview about baseball, or doing a job in PWG. Even if ROH was unhappy enough with those that they were going to make Elgin drop the belt, neither of those necessitated an immediate title change, changing plans the day of the show. The work visa issue does require that and explains Elgin's missed AIW date tonight. If this is the case, ROH absolutely made the right decision to put the belt on Jay Briscoe.

This is going to go down as one of those bizarre moments in ROH history, that we may never know the full story on. Reminds me of Taz winning the ECW Championship from Mike Awesome.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Meh, he just needs to change his name to #Unbreakable and no one will ever notice. I'm calling bullshit on that.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

Those reasons seem much more realistic then, "Elgin wants to be a baseball player so ROH took the title off him".
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Meltzer wrote:Title change decision came before visa problems that were discovered last night when trying to go home.

ROH really lucked out on title change decision.
bik100

Post by bik100 »

Wow never saw the visa thing coming.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

jordidebaas wrote:
fm20000 wrote:All this is from PWINSIDER

I hope this is the reason, because it would at least justify the title change.
Too bad he wasn't facing Ciampa or O'Reilly on this show, would've been much better IMO
An occasional job doesn't devalue the title.
stay gold

Post by stay gold »

Huh, look at at that. I had a friend tell me Meltzer spoke about Elgin being a headache to work with backstage now + the baseball stuff on his morning show today. Just automatically believed him due to various first & second hand stories I've heard about him lately. Did Dave talk about any of that stuff at all today?

The visa thing is pretty bad. Even if they are totally fine with Elgin on a personal level, I guess they didn't have much of a choice here. I do think it'd be a terrible mistake to give it back to Elgin once everything is cleared. Don't see that happening anyway, though.

On the PWG thing - I don't think losing some matches here and there for another promotion affects a champ too much in 2014, to be honest. The hardcore indie wrestling fans understand how it all works and I feel very few will nitpick something like that. Then again, I'm not as die hard of an indie fan as I was back in the day. What do I know? Obviously, he'd look better if he was dominating for several companies, but on an indie level, I don't see some losses in one company devaluing someone for another company.