Delirious concerned about Elgin as Champ

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
ROHFan25

Delirious concerned about Elgin as Champ

Post by ROHFan25 »

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/201 ... -champion/

Not sure how legit the source is but it makes sense. Maybe Delirious will learn now you don't put the belt on a baby face with no charisma whatsoever. Will wait to be attacked but I told you so.
Robareid

Re: Delirious concerned about Elgin as Champ

Post by Robareid »

No idea how credible the site is, but it does have a "send in your news" button all over the site, so I'm very doubtful.
ROHFan25

Post by ROHFan25 »

Well the Taven portion looks like it's spot on considering what happened during the VOD of FOH. Taven isn't leaving ROH unless he's done wrestling...and he's not done wrestling. There's nowhere else to go.

This is what I've been saying for a while and everyone just wants to deny it. Elgin is not over to the extent that everyone says he is. This is why they shouldn't have dropped the belt off Cole. At least his reign was interesting...Elgin's reign is just matches with no feuds or storylines. It's just focused on him breaking the title reign streak. Fuck that.

Thankfully, AJ will be Champ at FB. Way overdue.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

So Delirious is annoyed at Elgin for having no feuds?

Can't see them giving Styles the belt, he's not on enough of the shows. May well be wrong though.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Probably not too far from the truth. Elgin's reign isn't going to last long (he's already running out of credible opponents because of the "fighting champion" gimmick) and he'll lose the strap at FB or 13th Anniversary.
Can't see them giving Styles the belt, he's not on enough of the shows. May well be wrong though.
That's exactly the same thing happening with Lesnar. Build some credible contenders and give all title defenses a big match feel instead of having the champion run through the entire roster in quick fashion. The world title doesn't need to be defended on every house show.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

WWE and ROH are different situations.
ROHFan25

Post by ROHFan25 »

I mean they always could give Cole the belt back too but it would be kind of pointless now. Just Delirious admitting he made a mistake.

I'm sure ROH can book most shows around NJPWs schedule so AJ can defend and have a small-medium reign. Seems obviously it's going to be AJ vs Elgin at FB since they pulled the trigger on Cole AJ for ASE. AJ isn't losing to Elgin a month before he defends IWGP at WK9
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

Maybe Delirious does feel that way. But this raises some obvious questions:

1. Why is Delirious questioning his own booking out loud?
2. Who is he sharing his doubts with that can't be trusted not to share confidential and potentially detrimental information about their own company?

3. Why would they share it with this site and not PWinsider or F4W/WO?
4. Why is he only concerned with Elgin now when his wrestling hasn't changed and his promo ability has only improved since being champion? Was he not concerned the second the words "You gotta have sleep" were uttered?

Therefore, I call bullshit on this article.
Last Real Man Hype
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Robareid wrote:WWE and ROH are different situations.
Yes and no. Sure, Styles isn't a huge unbeatable monster, but he's a part-time big name who isn't going to be on every little house show to defend his title.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

Marketh. wrote:Maybe Delirious does feel that way. But this raises some obvious questions:

1. Why is Delirious questioning his own booking out loud?
2. Who is he sharing his doubts with that can't be trusted not to share confidential and potentially detrimental information about their own company?

3. Why would they share it with this site and not PWinsider or F4W/WO?
4. Why is he only concerned with Elgin now when his wrestling hasn't changed and his promo ability has only improved since being champion? Was he not concerned the second the words "You gotta have sleep" were uttered?

Therefore, I call bullshit on this article.
I'd literally just typed point one and four and pressed submit, and then your message came up as having just being posted. So this, this so much.
lariat_tubman

Post by lariat_tubman »

Yeah I'm 99.9% sure this is false.
ROHFan25

Post by ROHFan25 »

It'll be interesting to see if Dave has any info on this in the latest observer.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

Dave caring about ROH in 2014 :lol:
DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

i don't believe the article. i think it's way to early to judge Elgin as champ. i think he's done well so far with a limited sample size and this coming from a guy who was against him beating Cole (although I expected it)
"Money kept, is twice as good as money burned
And money won, is twice as sweet as money earned"
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

I'm agreeing with Marketh, Robareid & others on this. Seems like a BS story at the moment.

In regards to when Elgin could lose the belt (since it's part of this "report"), I think he at least holds it until Final Battle. Silas Young & Tommaso Ciampa aren't ready yet, and Jay Briscoe isn't getting another run with the belt. Plus there is no way Elgin is loosing the title this soon, especially since they've been pushing this whole story of Elgin wanting to be the greatest ROH World Champion ever. Final Battle is the next major show and the first one where Elgin's Title would be in jeopardy, presuming he'll be defending against AJ Styles. He could potentially lose the title to Styles in New York City, but it depends on what Styles' New Japan Schedule post-January 4th is. I think whoever wins Survival of the Fittest could be a strong contender to take the title in 2015.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

I don´t think they will do Elgin vs Styles at FB, the way they are booking it should be Styles vs Cole and Elgin vs some fly-in or NJPW wrestler.
WHG

Post by WHG »

People dismissing Styles as a potential Champion because he's a part timer don't seem to be considering the fact that, unlike the 1st half of 2014, he's booked on at least 6 of the next 7 shows (starting with FOH). Assuming they can work with AJ & NJPW they should be able to plan and ensure that he's around for at least 1-2 shows a month, which is plenty to keep the title active.

Not saying it's a great idea (or not), but I don't think the schedule is a dealbreaker if they wanted to go that direction. In fact, you could argue that if he IS going to be around that often, it doesn't make sense NOT to put the belt on him (as most people will view his matches as more important than Elgin's). He's almost around too much to consider just an attraction talent.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

This thread title is funny to look at from a kayfabe standpoint.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

WHG wrote:People dismissing Styles as a potential Champion because he's a part timer don't seem to be considering the fact that, unlike the 1st half of 2014, he's booked on at least 6 of the next 7 shows (starting with FOH). Assuming they can work with AJ & NJPW they should be able to plan and ensure that he's around for at least 1-2 shows a month, which is plenty to keep the title active.

Not saying it's a great idea (or not), but I don't think the schedule is a dealbreaker if they wanted to go that direction. In fact, you could argue that if he IS going to be around that often, it doesn't make sense NOT to put the belt on him (as most people will view his matches as more important than Elgin's). He's almost around too much to consider just an attraction talent.
Styles would bring a star power and in-ring consistence to the belt not seen since Tyler Black. I believe the belt needs him to hold it. Steen COULD have been on that level, but Jim Cornette and his OVW/SMW fetish got in the way.

How poetic it would be if Styles is holding both the top belts for ROH and NJPW in the very same month of TNA closing its doors.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Here is Meltzer's very, very detailed assessment that Elgin so richly deserves:
Elgin is physically impressive and works hard, but from a personality standpoint doesn’t connect at the level of ROH champions in the past.