Public SILAS Announcement

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
KL_

Public SILAS Announcement

Post by KL_ »

Public SILAS Announcement #1

Marketh.

Re: Public SILAS Announcement

Post by Marketh. »

The problem most people had with the You Know What Pisses Charlie Haas Off? segments were that they were so short and not exactly hilarious, that they were considered pointless. So I think this idea can be given justice if each video had at least 4 or 5 things.
Last Real Man Hype
lariat_tubman

Post by lariat_tubman »

Marketh. wrote:The problem most people had with the You Know What Pisses Charlie Haas Off? segments were that they were so short and not exactly hilarious, that they were considered pointless. So I think this idea can be given justice if each video had at least 4 or 5 things.
They also released a ton of those in a short amount of time. If the keep the space between these PSA more consistent and at , lets say a week, I think they will be okay.
MooseNugget

Post by MooseNugget »

I didn't like how the music was way louder than Young :?
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

Just imagine if all of these were their own individual videos.

The ones that aren't funny don't matter, cause one second later there's one you'll probably like. That's what these videos should be like.
Last Real Man Hype
LJimmy

Post by LJimmy »

Who ever thought Charlie Haas gimmicks would be redone today? You got this and Damien Sandow doing his impersonation deal.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

I don't really think Silas saying what a real man is, is redoing Charlie Haas' "do you know what pisses me off?" skits. Those have been done in wrestling since the late 80's, and impersonators were around before Haas too.
KL_

Post by KL_ »

Here's #2

jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

This one was really random
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
KL_

Post by KL_ »

Public SILAS Announcement #3, which is a few seconds longer than #1 and #2 ;)

Sardonic Artery

Post by Sardonic Artery »

I like Silas, but this is bad (for all the reasons already mentioned). Also, awesome volume discrepancy there: MUSIC! promo MUSIC!
I am cosmetically pleasing.
KL_

Post by KL_ »

Public SILAS Announcement #4

Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

First genuinely entertaining one.
Last Real Man Hype
lariat_tubman

Post by lariat_tubman »

Silas needs more promo time on shows the guy is hilarious.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

Going to end up accidentally turning himself face.
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

What I feel ROH doesn't do a lot of with heels is what I heard Raven call "showing your ass", which is having them do something despicable to remind everyone that this heel is a piece of shit and unlikeable. It's meant to be done when they're not over or getting babyface reactions.

The incident with Cole attacking MsChif is an example, but things like that are getting rarer.
Last Real Man Hype
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

I actually think ROH has done a better job of this in 2014 than in past years. 2011-2013 Steen was a terrible heel, for example, and by virtue of either his input or the booking or both, did almost everything possible to get cheered as a heel, making the babyfaces he fought look lame. He was an NWO-style heel, meaning he got to be funny and clever and bury the promotion and make his opponents look like shit. In the end it's counter-productive.

At some point Truth Martini lost his real heel heat, and it was when he went from being mostly annoying to mostly amusing (and started treating the fans to a bunch of hot girls).

Cole defied my expectations and really managed to stay heel during his title run, which was really professional of him and shows a big difference between Cole's mindset and Steen's, in my opinion. Cole wrestled a complete heel style and did nothing that made the fans cheer him, which could easily have happened. Pairing him with Hardy helped of course. Cole let his opponents get over as faces.

While they are jobbers, The Decade are also true heels. There is nothing likeable about them and no reason to cheer them. Jay Lethal is trying to be a real heel as well.

Silas has also tried to reject any fan support but it'll get tougher and tougher as people are catching on that he is very good in the ring, and promos like this will get him cheered more.

Silas looks to be one of Elgin's first "feuds" as champ, and the above promo is more entertaining and amusing than any promo Elgin has ever cut. If he continues in this vein, he will probably be cheered against Elgin.

Elgin really has a big challenge ahead of him because he is so shaky on the mic. When was the last time ROH had a champ who had this much difficulty in that area? I'd argue that even Eddie Edwards had a certain likeability that Elgin lacks, which kind of puts him ahead of Elgin in that respect (plus Eddie was just a transitional champ, whereas it looks like ROH really expects to hang their hat on Elgin). I missed Jerry Lynn's title reign, but I assume his promos sucked?

EDIT: Forgot Roderick Strong, who was also embarrassing on the mic, but had Martini to help him.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Ugh...

I love the character, but those videos have been terrible so far :?
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
lariat_tubman

Post by lariat_tubman »

Unless they debut his geeky nephew as an on screen character I don't see the point in these besides being mildly entertaining.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

lariat_tubman wrote:Unless they debut his geeky nephew as an on screen character I don't see the point in these besides being mildly entertaining.
For better or worse this short promos are good to stablish "The Last Real Man" gimmick for Silas no matter what he talks about.