Official Best In The World 2014 Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
DXvsNWO1994

Official Best In The World 2014 Thread

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

I decided to start the thread today since more match announcements are coming this week.

The Music City will play host to one of the most historic events in Ring of Honor history, as the company makes their debut on Live PPV!!! Here are the matches with other announced talent:

Best In The World 2014
Nashville, Tennessee 6/22/14

- ROH World Title - Adam Cole vs. "Unbreakable" Michael Elgin
- ROH World Tag Team Titles - reDRagon vs. Christopher Daniels & Frankie Kazarian
- Submission Match - Roderick Strong vs. Cedric Alexander
- Kevin Steen vs. Silas Young
- ROH World TV Title - Jay Lethal vs. Matt Taven (Truth Martini will be handcuffed to the ring post)
- Tag Team Grudge Match - The Briscoes vs. Matt Hardy & Michael Bennett (with Maria Kanellis)
- TV Title #1 Contender's Six Man Mayhem - ACH vs. Takaaki Watanabe vs. Caprice Coleman vs. TaDarius Thomas vs. BJ Whitmer vs. "Sicilian Psychopath" Tommaso Ciampa

Also signed to appear:

- War Machine (Hanson & Raymond Rowe)
- Cheeseburger

Keep all discussions here...
Last edited by DXvsNWO1994 on Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.
TYFDK

Re: Official Best In The World 2014 Thread

Post by TYFDK »

Anyone thinking we'll get Bad Influence vs. some kind of team (either one of the "young boys" teams with Whitmer or they team together) from the Decade? That's what I think will happen.

PS thanks for putting this up, DX.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

I think they go with Bad Influence vs. reDRagon. They need a big first time ever dream match for their PPV dbut, and that's it.
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

Bad Influence definitely needs to make an impact upon their arrival, hence why a show stealing match against reDRagon would be a wise booking decision IMO.
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
Hellfont93

Post by Hellfont93 »

Robareid wrote:I think they go with Bad Influence vs. reDRagon. They need a big first time ever dream match for their PPV dbut, and that's it.
Yeah, I think Kazarian's contract is the only holdup in making the announcement. Not long now.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Hellfont93 wrote:
Robareid wrote:I think they go with Bad Influence vs. reDRagon. They need a big first time ever dream match for their PPV dbut, and that's it.
Yeah, I think Kazarian's contract is the only holdup in making the announcement. Not long now.
I heard his contract actually expired yesterday (June 1st) so we might get an announcement about Kazarian this week.
Hellfont93

Post by Hellfont93 »

Oh right! I heard him on the LAW from last night, that sounds about right then. Hopefully it's imminent.
WHG

Post by WHG »

Not that there is any suspense or question about this, but if you go to InDemand's website, they have an updated poster with both Daniels AND Kazarian featured on it. I'm guessing based on that we should see a formal announcement really soon!

http://indemand.com/product/view/449022
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

New Match Announced: Jay Lethal vs. Matt Taven for the ROH World TV Title, with Truth Martini handcuffed to the ring post.

Matt Taven was the longest tenured ROH World Television Champion of all time. And while he held the title, HOOPLA reigned supreme. Taven was surrounded by parties, Hotties...and Truth Martini.

But before all the HOOPLA, there stood The House of Truth. And before he was known for taking his pants off, ROH was acquainted with a very different Truth Martini. The leader of The House of Truth called himself a Life Intervention Expert. He was as sinister as he was influential, leading men like Roderick Strong and Michael Elgin to success.

And initially, that same dark influence ensnared Matt Taven as well. The winner of the Top Prospect Tournament, Taven was no doubt courted by other managers and counselors. But it was Truth Martini who convinced Taven to step into The House of Truth.

The new Martini-Taven partnership ushered in HOOPLA...and many in Ring of Honor forgot all about the old Truth Martini. Perhaps even Taven himself forgot just how dark his guru could be while blinded by glitter and girls.

In New Orleans, The House of Truth opened its doors once again - and in stepped Jay Lethal.

Long frustrated with his fortunes in ROH, Lethal was looking for a change. An edge. The Truth. Fans were absolutely shocked to see the usually noble Jay Lethal resort to less than honorable tactics. But even more than that, they were shocked to see the return of what we now know must be the real Truth Martini.

And in New Orleans, Matt Taven realized just how devious his former mentor is when Truth Martini used the Book of Truth to assault Taven, going so far later as trying to blind him and end his career for good. Meanwhile, Jay Lethal has benefitted from the constant interference of his new manager. Truth's interference when so far in New York that he was eventually ejected from the match.

But in Nashville at BEST IN THE WORLD, Truth Martini WILL be at ringside. In fact, he won't have the option to be anywhere else. It's been decided: on June 22nd Matt Taven gets a shot at Jay Lethal's World TV Title...and Truth Martini will be HANDCUFFED to the ring post!

The rivalry between Taven and Lethal is long and simmering. Live on PPV, Matt Taven has the chance to show the world why he was more than just HOOPLA. But Jay Lethal coveted the TV title so much that sold his honor to finally get it back. There's no telling what lengths he'll go to in keeping it. Meanwhile, Truth Martini has no choice but to stand in the middle of the action - no matter what happens!

The ROH World Television Title is on the line LIVE on PPV June 22nd when Ring of Honor presents BEST IN THE WORLD!
AmericanDolphin_3

Post by AmericanDolphin_3 »

Hmmm, that seems really gimmicky. Hopefully they'll be able to pull it off without making Truth looking super cheesy.

I'm super excited for this show. Cole and Elgin are going to be put in a spot to show just how good they are, Strong and Cedric should be able to continue their streak of great matches, and Bennett and Hardy have a chance to look good against the Briscoes.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

I wonder where that leaves Ciampa then.
Ladrao12

Post by Ladrao12 »

Robareid wrote:I wonder where that leaves Ciampa then.
Looks like against ACH or Whitmer. I could see it working out between Whitmer/Ciampa, from a Decade point of view. Not sure how they'd spin ACH/Ciampa, other than a random match, or sort of a "proving ground" for ACH.
ROHFan25

Post by ROHFan25 »

Sigh...Delirious is really booking this card like shit.

Taven/Lethal in the same ring for the 3,981st time. Yay.

Fucking missed out on ACH/Lethal...nice stip too.

**Prepares for people to come into this thread and defend the card/stipulations**
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

ROHFan25 wrote:Taven/Lethal in the same ring for the 3,981st time. Yay.
Jay Lethal and Matt Taven haven't faced each other one on one in over a year.
Fucking missed out on ACH/Lethal...nice stip too.
They never gave anyone any indication or even tease that Lethal/ACH might happen. You got it into your little fantasy booking head because you're a fucking idiot.
**Prepares for people to come into this thread and defend the card/stipulations**
It's not hard to defend anything you say because your arguments are so shit.

"I want this to happen because I want it". Great argument, for a 5-year-old.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Destination X looks better.
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

The Dragon Saga wrote:
His point was them being in the same match, which happens quite often. The last time they faced one-on-one was in October.
Hopefully here: Image
Last Real Man Hype
Fawrules

Post by Fawrules »

Marketh. wrote:
The Dragon Saga wrote:
His point was them being in the same match, which happens quite often. The last time they faced one-on-one was in October.
Hopefully here: Image
Would be all for it if Elgin wasn't already in the main event. In my opinion, pretty much anything they could book was going to look underwhelming for a PPV show after it was made clear Styles, The Bucks, and anyone else from New Japan wouldn't be able to be there. I do wish they could have just pushed it back a week or so, but I would assume there may have been a problem booking the building for a different date.
Fawrules

Post by Fawrules »

AmericanDolphin_3 wrote:Hmmm, that seems really gimmicky. Hopefully they'll be able to pull it off without making Truth looking super cheesy.

I'm super excited for this show. Cole and Elgin are going to be put in a spot to show just how good they are, Strong and Cedric should be able to continue their streak of great matches, and Bennett and Hardy have a chance to look good against the Briscoes.
Not sure why you perceive it as overly-gimmicky, you have a manager who constantly interferes on the heel's behalf, so handcuff him so he "allegedly" will be unable to impact the outcome of the match. It's a little too "southern rasslin" oriented of a gimmick, but hey, the show's in Nashville.
BTW10

Post by BTW10 »

I don't understand the point of Truth being handcuffed when he could just be banned from ringside.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

He can't possibly pass the Book of Truth to Lethal is he's handcuffed to the ring post. Oh, wait, he can.

Just as well for Ciampa he's not in this match. He doesn't need to fail to win again.