Official Best In The World 2014 Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
The Dragon Saga

Re: Official Best In The World 2014 Thread

Post by The Dragon Saga »

Marketh. wrote:
The Dragon Saga wrote:
ROHFan25 wrote:Taven/Lethal in the same ring for the 3,981st time. Yay.
Jay Lethal and Matt Taven haven't faced each other one on one in over a year.
His point was them being in the same match, which happens quite often. The last time they faced one-on-one was in October.
But they haven't faced one on in one in close to a year then. When they faced last time Jay Lethal was face. Matt Taven was heel. Truth Martini was in Taven's corner. Taven was TV Champion. They had no back story, no beef other than, "I'm Jay Lethal and I want the TV title", now there is a story because Taven wants revenge on Truth Martini and Jay Lethal for attacking him, and to win back the TV title which his character is obviously obsessed over.

So, my point stands. People need to come up with better arguments against matches being made other than, "I don't want that, I want this", the same attitude so many had before Global Wars and War of the Worlds and Supercard of Honor and 12th Anniversary Show and Final Battle and Glory by Honor, and what do all those shows have in common. They delivered and shut people up, but still some here don't seem to be able to get certain things through their thick skulls.
ROHFan25

Post by ROHFan25 »

But they haven't faced one on in one in close to a year then. When they faced last time Jay Lethal was face. Matt Taven was heel. Truth Martini was in Taven's corner. Taven was TV Champion. They had no back story, no beef other than, "I'm Jay Lethal and I want the TV title", now there is a story because Taven wants revenge on Truth Martini and Jay Lethal for attacking him, and to win back the TV title which his character is obviously obsessed over.

So, my point stands. People need to come up with better arguments against matches being made other than, "I don't want that, I want this", the same attitude so many had before Global Wars and War of the Worlds and Supercard of Honor and 12th Anniversary Show and Final Battle and Glory by Honor, and what do all those shows have in common. They delivered and shut people up, but still some here don't seem to be able to get certain things through their thick skulls.[/quote]

The only really good show out of all of those was WOTW. All of the others were average to good shows. This is ROHs first ever live PPV. It's not supposed to be good. It's supposed to be amazing. First impressions are everything. The card sucks. If you really want to defend Taven/Lethal because you're a ROH fan boy over ACH/Lethal then you are a fucking idiot.

ROH die hards are going to buy the PPV no matter what. The casuals who buy it for Hardy/Maria/whatever other reason are going to want to see the best matches possible. They're going to want to see things that they haven't before. Something that will impress them. But yeah, when ACH/Whitmer gets announced I'll wait for you to spin that and defend the booking saying it will be an incredible match.

ACH>Taven in every single way. Nobody gives a single fuck about the revolving door TV title feud between Ciampa/Lethal/Taven. Get a new fucking idea.

Oh and also 8 months isn't a year. Pathetic.
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

I do like the PPV card, I guess with all the NJPW guys not being able to be at the show (Styles, Bucks, Hooligans) this is still a good card. Still, I kinda hope they announce another bring in to be featured in a special attraction match. What you guys think about London vs Ciampa? Could provide the casual audience with a familiar face and at the same time could give Ciampa a high profile victory that he definitely needs.
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

ROHFan25 wrote:
The only really good show out of all of those was WOTW.
I would say you're an idiot for thinking that Supercard wasn't as good when it included great wrestling, the end to a very well done feud, big moments to progress angles, and so much more, but I'm actually getting tired of telling you how much of an idiot you are so I'll refrain in the knowledge that you are fully aware of it and refuse to attempt to better yourself.
This is ROHs first ever live PPV. It's not supposed to be good. It's supposed to be amazing. First impressions are everything.
YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE SHOW YET! THE SHOW HASN'T HAPPENED. AND THIS ISN'T MY SHOUTING THROUGH ANGER OR ANYTHING, I'M SPELLING THIS IN ALL CAPS BECAUSE YOU MIGHT TAKE MORE NOTICE TO THINGS, BECAUSE YOU'RE OBVIOUSLY A VERY BEWILDERED PERSON.
The card sucks. If you really want to defend Taven/Lethal because you're a ROH fan boy over ACH/Lethal then you are a fucking idiot.
You calling anyone an idiot is rich. If you called a mentally retarded, blind, deaf midget an idiot, you'd still have no legs to stand on. You want proof? Read the majority of posts you've made on this board.
ROH die hards are going to buy the PPV no matter what. The casuals who buy it for Hardy/Maria/whatever other reason are going to want to see the best matches possible. They're going to want to see things that they haven't before.

The majority of casuals who'll buy this show will have probably never seen ROH before, period. So everything and anything will be new to them. Which means all they have to do is send everyone out through the curtain with the mind set that the wrestling has to be of a very good standard, so that when the PPV goes off the air people who watched are saying, "man, ROH really does have some kick ass wrestling. That was totally worth my money." If you don't get that you're an id... nevermind, you know what you are.
Something that will impress them. But yeah, when ACH/Whitmer gets announced I'll wait for you to spin that and defend the booking saying it will be an incredible match.
BJ Whitmer fucked one of your family members, and like the modern day ROHbot does you love ACH and want his childern because he does flips and stuff, we get it, you hate Whitmer and Elgin, you love ACH, move on.
ACH>Taven in every single way. Nobody gives a single fuck about the revolving door TV title feud between Ciampa/Lethal/Taven. Get a new fucking idea.
Actually, you're wrong, at least five people give a fuck. Myself, Delirious, Jay Lethal, Matt Taven and Tommaso Ciampa. All of whom, including me, unlike you, aren't stupid.
Oh and also 8 months isn't a year. Pathetic.
Marketh. wrote:The last time they faced one-on-one was in October.
Go get your calender, go to June, then count back to October and please tell me how many months that is. I know this is a big challenge for you, so I'll give you until June 23, the day after BITW, when if ROH continues its run of producing good shows from cards idiots like you try to scrutinize because you want things your way and are yourning so much for the indie ROH of old, we who actually give a shit about the product and respect everything they've given us this year as fans will be talking about how good it is and how once again mentally challenged dopes like you need to think before you type.

And yes, your arguments are indeed, "pathetic".
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Calm down, TDS. SCOH8 was solid to good but not much else.
ROHFan25

Post by ROHFan25 »

Supercard had a terrible main event, a terrible ending, could argue the worst main event of the year. Unprotected chairshots and Jay having the belt in his hands and deciding to not take it. YAY! WHAT A MAIN EVENT! BUT LIKE PERFECT BOOKING/STORYTELLING BECAUSE JAY HATED COLE! HE'D RATHER HURT HIM THEN WIN THE BELT. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. To compare it to WOTW, which is hands down ROHs best show in a very long time, is just stupid.

If you think a show with BJ Whitmer, Cheeseburger, Matt Hardy, and War Machine is going to be amazing, you are again a fucking idiot.

I'm a college grad from a private university with a good job, you work on a fake wrestling news website...let our resumes speak for themselves.

BJ Whitmer is just a shitty wrestler. He sucks in his role. He's boring. Etc.

All of a sudden he knows Ciampa, Taven, Delirious and Lethal personally. You really are such a fanboy loser, it's laughable.

Their last singles match was in October. November, December, January, February, March, April, May, June. That's 8. You stupid fuck.
Last edited by ROHFan25 on Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ROHFan25

Post by ROHFan25 »

supersonic wrote:Calm down, TDS. SCOH8 was solid to good but not much else.
He's the same loser who wished death on another mothers poster, accuses BJ Whitmer of fucking a family member of mine, and the same loser who kept the Greg the Office Boy troll posts going for like 2 months. He's a loser. Nobody takes him seriously other than 3-4 others on this board. It's cool. Surprised he hasn't been banned yet tbh, but Harry doesn't really check the board anymore.

Bottom line, we all know Dragon Saga is a loser who lives in his mothers basement and copies Dave's newsletter onto his shitty site. He's the stereotypical wrestling fan. Hence why he gets so mad when I talk poorly about the product that means more to his life than anything else.

If you speak honestly and against the masses on this board, you get bashed. I'm used to it by now. If you don't think every single wrestler in ROH is amazing, you're a fucking idiot. The dude seriously tried defending TD and Whitmer [cornette]
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

TDS makes some really solid points, just may be a bit too passionate about ROH, I was similar in the "golden age" days.

This card isn't completely loaded, but I understand, because the part-timers are busy with New Japan or elsewhere (although I am concerned if ROH doesn't trust Paul London anymore) and this was never meant to be a PPV. As of a few months ago, ROH had no plans to make this move. Court Bauer pulling the strings, as well as the ripple effect of PPV companies reacting to the WWE Network, is what has made this happen.

I'm going to post some thoughts from those who are fair and neutral about the product elsewhere.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

London would be such a great addition to this card.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

AmericanDolphin_3 wrote:Hmmm, that seems really gimmicky. Hopefully they'll be able to pull it off without making Truth looking super cheesy.
As if he doesn't always look super cheesy.
ROHFan25

Post by ROHFan25 »

I'd love to hear what other people think about the shows especially if they aren't biased ROH supporters. I get that he's passionate but he goes way overboard at times and never criticizes anything about ROH other than the typical Bennett sucks. Lighting sucks. Etc. Come up with your own opinions. To say that Jay/Cole was a good main event is just absurd IMO.

Supersonic you're probably the best poster on here IMO. Do you think this is a PPV worthy card? I've said all along they should have waited until Final Battle. Would have been just like WWE. Debut your big new platform with your biggest show of the year.

It's just not a PPV worthy card . It's just not.

London would be awesome but I don't see it. Him and Ciampa wouldn't mesh well IMO. Only other option is ACH
ROHFan25

Post by ROHFan25 »

Put Dragon Saga on my ignore list so no more board drama. It was fun while it lasted. Sorry to those who were offended/annoyed by the millions of times we argued.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

I won't be ordering it, although that's mostly because I have other major expenses plus I'm anal about staying in sync with my retro rewatching. I also prefer the shows on DVD, because if I'm dissatisfied, I can resell them, which can't be done with a DVR or VOD.

I imagine the PPV companies wanted a PPV broadcast fast from ROH to offset the loss of WWE events, fill up the wrestling quota for the month with the hope of cashing in on new potential customers.

If I was a PPV buyer, I'd likely skip this though. It doesn't check mark anything that makes me wanna invest my $ and time in the middle of the summer.
ROHFan25

Post by ROHFan25 »

And that's exactly my point. I'm interested in seeing Bad Influence/reDRagon. The main I'm more interested in the outcome then the match itself. Not worth $30 IMO. They rushed into PPV for whatever reason with a card that just doesn't jump out at you.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

They rushed into PPV for whatever reason
If you're a PPV/cable company that just lost the monthly golden goose in the wrestling demo, and you need more wrestling shows to fill those PPV slots, you're not gonna ask TNA to do that because by now you know better. So ROH got the nod, and was probably told an event needed to be broadcasted soon or I imagine the deal may have been off the table. This is speculation on my part, but I'd say it's educated speculation.
ROHFan25

Post by ROHFan25 »

I guess...you don't think they could have waited until August though for DBD or FOH? I guess 2 months is a lot of time, but if ROH is only running 2 PPVs this year does it make a huge difference?
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

I know people don't like the prospect of Lethal/Taven, and although a Lethal/ACH match would be great (they have a fantastic match in San Antonio last year), they clearly weren't building to that. Lethal/Taven was pretty obviously. The only variable was whether Ciampa would be involved. Personally, I'm fine with the match. The stipulation is a little gimmicky, but Lethal & Taven have had good matches before, and I expect this to be no different.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing ACH vs. Tommaso Ciampa. Sure, it's a thrown together match with nothing on a line, but for ROH's first live PPV, it could be a great showcase for both guys. Then I'd imagine the card would round out with War Machine vs. BJ Whitmer & Adam Page/TaDarius Thomas.
ROHFan25 wrote:Supercard had a terrible main event, a terrible ending, could argue the worst main event of the year. Unprotected chairshots and Jay having the belt in his hands and deciding to not take it. YAY! WHAT A MAIN EVENT! BUT LIKE PERFECT BOOKING/STORYTELLING BECAUSE JAY HATED COLE! HE'D RATHER HURT HIM THEN WIN THE BELT. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.
I've heard this point I'm about to make mentioned before in regards to the question of violence in Ladder War V, and I think it's a very important point. People have complained about all the violence and chair shots to the head in this, but did we hear nearly as many complaints with Kevin Steen vs. Cliff Compton from the 12th Anniversary Show, the Outlaw Inc./Briscoes No DQ Match from Raising The Bar: Night 2, or even the Mark Briscoe/Michael Bennett No DQ Match from the same show as Ladder War V? You don't hear nearly as many complaints. That's a pretty big discrepancy.

I think the idea of "Jay Briscoe wants to hurt Adam Cole over winning the match" was good, but it could have been executed a little better.
ROHFan25 wrote: It's just not a PPV worthy card . It's just not.
But what else can you do? No much. In my opinion, it's the best card they could have put out, given the talent available and the storyline direction in the major feuds. Cole/Elgin, reDRagon/Bad Influence, Steen/Young, and Strong/Alexander (the four top matches) all make sense booking wise. It seems to me like most of the complaints are about the undercard.
supersonic wrote:
They rushed into PPV for whatever reason
If you're a PPV/cable company that just lost the monthly golden goose in the wrestling demo, and you need more wrestling shows to fill those PPV slots, you're not gonna ask TNA to do that because by now you know better. So ROH got the nod, and was probably told an event needed to be broadcasted soon or I imagine the deal may have been off the table. This is speculation on my part, but I'd say it's educated speculation.
Supersonic is right. One of the biggest reasons for ROH going to PPV at all is that most of the cable companies dropped WWE due to the WWE Network. They needed more wrestling, and with TNA not doing monthly PPV's at the moment (plus the fact that they have a subpar product), Ring of Honor, being the #3 wrestling promotion in the US, was the next obvious choice.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

ROHFan25 wrote:I guess...you don't think they could have waited until August though for DBD or FOH? I guess 2 months is a lot of time, but if ROH is only running 2 PPVs this year does it make a huge difference?
If you're a major PPV provider it can be. Let's remember that the first ROH PPV in its history was a "Mystery Vortex," not one match was announced beforehand, just the roster and the ROH brand name. It was a pretty good fucking PPV, probably even great thanks to the roster and identity of the company at the time.
Ladrao12

Post by Ladrao12 »

Fawrules wrote:
Would be all for it if Elgin wasn't already in the main event. In my opinion, pretty much anything they could book was going to look underwhelming for a PPV show after it was made clear Styles, The Bucks, and anyone else from New Japan wouldn't be able to be there. I do wish they could have just pushed it back a week or so, but I would assume there may have been a problem booking the building for a different date.
For me, this sums it up 100%. Management is put into a tough position where they have to follow up the 2 super shows with a show, not just without the heavy hitters of New Japan, but also without Styles, Young Bucks and Hero. They have to do the best they can with what they have.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

To everyone who is bitching about the card not being very good ECW's first PPV card wasn't very good either except for the Sandman/Stevie Richards/Funk 3-Way and Taz vs. Sabu. Despite that cardit was a success because so many new viewers were finally getting to see that ECW thing they had heard so much about. Best In the World will be a success for the same reason Barely Legal was because new viewers will finally get to see this Ring of Honor thing they have heard so much about. I assume that everyone here is an ROH fan and as an ROH fan we should not dismiss this show just because the card is weak. We should be embracing it for what it is, the company's first live televised PPV event. If you're not willing to drop $25 on this show you should not be calling yourself a fan.