Official Road To "Best In The World" Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
DXvsNWO1994

Re: Official Road To "Best In The World" Thread

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

I gotta say as well, to everyone who said ACH was going to win the Six Man Mayhem, you'd proved me wrong. I was convinced Cedric Alexander was going to win.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Looking around on Twitter, and one person I saw has the attendance around 200. Honestly not that surprised. Southern Illinois isn't exactly a place I think of as a big wrestling area. Does ROH TV even run in that area?
bigz38

Post by bigz38 »

Of course they do. It's always noted in the show announcement news articles. There's no chance they would run there if there was no TV.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

From what I saw on Twitter, the show sounded like it was a good one, wrestling wise.
ROHFan25

Post by ROHFan25 »

I swept pick ems' and got the bonus right.

Bow down to the King :mrgreen:
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

From the pictures ROH posted the venue looked pretty small, and I'm not a fan of the bright lighting, but I'm guessing they're somewhat limited on that. It was probably a decent choice for the small crowd.
Actually something about this show seems like it would fit in perfectly with kind of the "typical" ROH show from any point in the companies history, and I mean that in a good way.
-MP-

Post by -MP- »

Delirious dedicated his match to his recently passed "daddy" (his words) and then proceeded to steal the entire show. It was amazing.

Carbondale definitely loved him and the Briscoes.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

ROHFan25 wrote:I swept pick ems' and got the bonus right.

Bow down to the King :mrgreen:
You picked Selezia?
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

Tonight Ring of Honor deserves credit, but the people of Carbondale, Illinois don't!

^^ Nice little read from someone who went. I loved the part about the guy at the merchandise table running behind the curtain and getting the autographs. Whoever the guy at the merch table was, fair play to him.
-MP-

Post by -MP- »

Eh, I don't think anyone expected that show to draw much more than it did. If they would have run there when the students were actually at school it would have been a different story.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

I was at the show in Carbondale this was my first ROH live experience so I have nothing to compare it to as I don't like comparing ROH and WWE, ROH and TNA, or even WWE and TNA. I enjoyed my first ROH experience, hope this isn't my last either, I will say though that were some highs and lows. Personal high for me was in the first match Ciampa vs. EGO I threw the first streamer of the night for Tomasso and I fucked it up. The damn thing air balled on me and didn't unravel. Ciampa saw me throw it and he was like just short. Then when the match started I yelled "Hey Ciampa aren't you supposed to be a psychopath?" Then he went Delirious, kind of cool knowing I affected a part of that match. Match was nothing special but I am a Ciampa fan and I am craving more of #AllEgo and I don't think it will be long before he's on Triple H's scouting radar, guy's got a good look and he's got some amazing facial expressions.

Second match was Six Man Mayhem which in my opinion didn't get enough time. ACH won but I think the match was more about furthering the Cedric Alexander vs. Decade feud rather than really putting ACH over. The finish saw BJ distract Alexander which allowed Tadarius to hit Alexander from behind leaving Alexander in place for a 450 from ACH.

Romantic Touch vs. Bobby Fish-too long for really just a comedy match. Really wish they would let Rhett Titus be Rhett Titus again. All because of Kenny King. And by the way Bobby Fish looks like his facial hair should have came with the glasses/nose combo you get in a joke shop.

Briscoes vs. BJ Whitmer & TD Thomas-I've always been a fan of tag teams so this was one of my favorite matches of the night. I have to say that in person the Briscoes look big that a few years ago the were passed up on by WWE because the weren't "cosmetically pleasing", I don't think it was size that was the reason. Probably their tats.

Intermission, we come back and they film the opening for ROH Television so some of this will probably be a lead in for BITW next week probably then some from Collinsville for the week of BITW. Our ring announcer was Scarlett Bordeaux and while she is beautiful I've never really liked female ring announcers. Bobby Cruise would have added a bigger atmosphere for this one.

Lethal and Truth Martini come out for Lethal's open challenge, Seleziya answers the challenge. Bell ring and she has Lethal by his hair then puts her tongue down his throat and lays down for him to pin her so she is back with the HOT, Cheeseburger then comes out and challenges Lethal. Lethal of course wins and the HOT get some more licks on Cheeseburger (licking cheeseburgers, I need to make a trip to BK after I get done writing this) until Taven comes out and runs them off. Watch for this segment on TV soon.

Next is Bennett vs. Delirious, it started out as comedy but turned out to be a good match. Right now I'd just like to say how happy I am for Hunter Johnston, the man under the mask, that he got to have a good match to dedicate to his father, Bennett and Maria should be happy that they got be part of that match.

Semi-Main event Elgin vs. Jimmy Jacobs. Elgin's mullet Rocks, Jacobs is underrated. Cool match. Finish saw Elgin turn the buckle bomb into the barricade bomb then hit the Elgin bomb on the floor before throwing Jacobs back in the ring and pinning him. Finishing moves were probably the way of writing Jacobs off BITW.

Main event time, worst match of every show. Why? because at the conclusion of this match the final bell rings and show's over. I liked the main event. Put over ACH pretty good because he wouldn't give up and did everything he could to try to become champion. Put over the title because the guy fought so hard just because it was his opportunity and it was one he didn't want to lose. And it put over Cole as a resourceful champion. Always in the right spot to get a foot on the rope and always having a weapon when one or two won't work. Damn shame that BITW is lose-lose for the company. Cole wins, Elgin might as well start jobbing to RD Evans because his build up will be flushed down the toilet. Elgin wins, Cole's reign ends just as it's picking up more steam.

I also saw a woman sitting around the ROH crew that I thought looked like MsChif so I had to go up and ask if it was. Indeed it was. DAMN is Mrs. Elgin hot!
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

-MP- wrote:Eh, I don't think anyone expected that show to draw much more than it did. If they would have run there when the students were actually at school it would have been a different story.
I think ROH expected to draw more than 200, or else they wouldn't have done the show. This must have been pretty demoralizing for the talent as the next show to follow the May shows.
AssShooter

Post by AssShooter »

dhads7161 wrote:Seleziya is back with the HOT.
So, what's the point now to handcuff Truth Martini at Best in the World if Seleziya can interfere anyway ?

I hope they will use her to wrestle, even against men, not just to be spectator or to interfere.
ImageImage
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

I'm honestly not surprised by the turnout. Wrestling is Intense drew something like 13 people in the same venue in September of last year. Plus, judging by other promotions that run the same building, you can tell it's a small venue.

So again, really didn't expect that high of an attendance for this show.

At the same time, however, you have to give ROH a lot of credit. At least they run venues they know they can fill...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bpfjz6zCQAAnmzT.jpg:large

http://www.imagebam.com/image/8844dd331466133

This is from a house show that took place yesterday. TNA reportedly drew 100 Fans.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

AssShooter wrote:
dhads7161 wrote:Seleziya is back with the HOT.
So, what's the point now to handcuff Truth Martini at Best in the World if Seleziya can interfere anyway ?

I hope they will use her to wrestle, even against men, not just to be spectator or to interfere.
Unless they put Scarlett in Taven's corner but I still wouldn't see the point if this is the blowoff match. Just more more fuel to feed this seemingly never ending fire.
-MP-

Post by -MP- »

Reading the preview for tonight and starting to get psyched up again, especially for Silas Young vs. ACH. Silas is my homeboy, but ACH really showed me a lot last night and I'm finally on his bandwagon now. Should be a really good show.

Briscoes will be over HUGE again, I have no doubt about that.
bigz38

Post by bigz38 »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:I'm honestly not surprised by the turnout. Wrestling is Intense drew something like 13 people in the same venue in September of last year. Plus, judging by other promotions that run the same building, you can tell it's a small venue.

So again, really didn't expect that high of an attendance for this show.
Remember, it's a ballroom of the University Student Center. Essentially renting a room in a mall.
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

Posting ROH 06/07/14 Road to Best in the World Night 2 Results here http://wp.me/p1rVA2-9Hw
If you're having any issues with the forum tweet at me Twitter.com/ROH_World
or Fb.com/ROHworld
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

Road to BITW Night 2 looks awesome thus far, really good booking here:

Proving Grounds match for ROH TV Title: Romantic Touch def Jay Lethal
- Touch was unmasked as Matt Taven

Michael Elgin vs. Michael Bennett no-contest; Adam Cole interfered, they cut Elgin’s hair and Cole put MsChif in the figure-four.
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

The pics are fun
If you're having any issues with the forum tweet at me Twitter.com/ROH_World
or Fb.com/ROHworld