KENTA Done With NOAH

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Marketh.

KENTA Done With NOAH

Post by Marketh. »

Screw the Other Wrestling section, I wanna talk about if there's a possibility of ROH bringing KENTA back.
TOP JAPANESE STAR TO WWE?
By Mike Johnson on 2014-04-30 05:57:23
It was announced this morning in Japan that Pro Wrestling NOAH star KENTA (real name Kenta Kobayashi, 33 years old) would be leaving the promotion, with his final appearance being 5/17.

As PWInsider.com broke in January, KENTA spent a week at the WWWE Performance Center, training and working out with developmental talents. Upon his return to Japan, he downplayed the time spent in Orlando, Florida, claiming he wanted to take part in WWE's training and a break in the NOAH schedule allowed him to do so.

In a blog entry, KENTA wrote, "It is indeed true that I have always been yearning for a spot in WWE, and I’ve always wanted to give it a try sometime. After all, you only live once. “I should have given it a try.” “I should have chosen another way.” I’ve had those regrets when I was in my middle and high school, and even after I got in to this business. I just did not want to regret later about something I haven’t tried, so I used my time off to participate in the WWE workout. The executives were at the workout, so perhaps I may have left a mark."

With the announcement that he is leaving NOAH, a promotion has he been with since it formed, the obvious question is whether KENTA is leaving for a WWE deal? Obviously, it's easy to assume such (and it's possible those assumptions are correct) but we don't have 100% confirmation on that.

KENTA debuted for All Japan Pro Wrestling in 2000 but quickly left for Pro Wrestling NOAH when the late Mitsuharu Misawa led an exodus of talent and management from AJPW to form his own company. Over the last 14 years, KENTA rose from an undercard talent to one of the best workers in the world and is credited with the creation of Go To Sleep, a move later popularized in the United States when former WWE champion CM Punk adopted it as his finishing maneuver.

Stateside, he is best known for appearances in Ring of Honor, including incredible bouts with Low Ki and then-ROH champion Bryan (Daniel Bryan) Danielson.

When KENTA returned to Japan following his one-week workout at the Performance Center, he claimed that he wasn't seeking a WWE deal but if one was offered, it would be something he would be interested in pursuing, noting his dream was always to wrestle for WWE.

In due time, we will see if that dream has come true, but the loss of KENTA is a major hole that NOAH will have to try and fill - one that won't be easy.
Well we can't have that Eddie/KENTA match I always wanted, but it'd be great to see him return and face any of the following guys:

AJ
Hero rematch
Cole
Elgin
Steen
Kyle
Ciampa
Silas
Last Real Man Hype
-MP-

Re: KENTA Done With NOAH

Post by -MP- »

WWE will pick him up. I don't know what they'll actually DO with him, but only a complete dipshit would leave a cushy spot in Japan to work US indies.
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

He'll have time between now and if WWE pick him up. Time ROH shouldn't waste.
Last Real Man Hype
-MP-

Post by -MP- »

Not time during which they'd let him work elsewhere though. Remember that whole fiasco with the Wolves?
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

What fiasco with The Wolves? They did their WWE tryout and then the week of were on the Pursuit shows. They left ROH knowing they'd go to one of the other promotions, this is a Japanese guy who might have time to kill before he gets signed by WWE if that's the case (maybe he's going to NJPW?). If he can have even one match, bring him in. If they have to wait it out for him to sign for a bit, fuck book him for Best In The World. Lets not forget that while some medical stuff was being sorted out after Chris Hero originally left ROH to sign with WWE, he came back for a little bit. If it were TNA, WWE probably wouldn't want them to work there in case they get infected with the drizzling shits, but if it's ROH I doubt WWE minds.
-MP-

Post by -MP- »

That's because the Wolves were already booked for Pursuit, and Final Battle, and WWE always allows you (and probably EXPECTS you) to honor bookings you've already made. But they were specifically told not to make any other bookings in the mean time. Which was weird and unprecedented since they still obv. hadn't been signed at that point.

Hero had an issue with his medicals, which is why he had time in between. I suppose that's a possibility with KENTA or anyone else.
D2Kvirus

Post by D2Kvirus »

It says a lot about Mike Johnson and his joke of a website that there's not even the slightest consideration that he might move to New Japan, really it does.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Yeah I would imagine that KENTA is going to New Japan.
BTW10

Post by BTW10 »

I hope it's New Japan and not WWE. They would have absolutely no idea what to do with him.
AssShooter

Post by AssShooter »

And if it's NJPW, that doesn't close the door to ROH, i think.
ImageImage
-MP-

Post by -MP- »

BTW10 wrote:I hope it's New Japan and not WWE. They would have absolutely no idea what to do with him.
Yeah. He'd probably just get lost in the shuffle like Danielson and Claudio and Generico and PAC and Brodie Lee and...
Lone Wolf

Post by Lone Wolf »

Love for him to make some ROH appearances again, also NJPW is a big option for him which would be nice to see him mix it up with their roster.
D2Kvirus

Post by D2Kvirus »

-MP- wrote:
BTW10 wrote:I hope it's New Japan and not WWE. They would have absolutely no idea what to do with him.
Yeah. He'd probably just get lost in the shuffle like Danielson and Claudio and Generico and PAC and Brodie Lee and...
...Tajiri and Taka Michinoku and Ultimo Dragon?
-MP-

Post by -MP- »

D2Kvirus wrote:
-MP- wrote:
...Tajiri and Taka Michinoku and Ultimo Dragon?
What year---no, DECADE are we in again? And Tajiri did just fine.

But I forgot, this is the Shit on WWE With No Regard for Logic or Common Sense Forum. My bad. Continue on with the "he's definitely going to New Japan even though I have zero evidence of this, because they have such a great relationship" talk.
D2Kvirus

Post by D2Kvirus »

-MP- wrote:What year---no, DECADE are we in again? And Tajiri did just fine.

But I forgot, this is the Shit on WWE With No Regard for Logic or Common Sense Forum. My bad. Continue on with the "he's definitely going to New Japan even though I have zero evidence of this, because they have such a great relationship" talk.
We're in the decade where Yoshi Tatsu doesn't get booked on tours to Japan and the closest they came to pushing a Japanese star was the three weeks where they pushed the decidedly non-Japanese Lord Tensai. Thanks for asking.

Your comparison between KENTA and Punk, Danielson et al was supremely flawed, get over it.
-MP-

Post by -MP- »

He's more like Yoshi Tatsu and Tensai than Punk & Bryan????????!!!!!
D2Kvirus

Post by D2Kvirus »

-MP- wrote:He's more like Yoshi Tatsu and Tensai than Punk & Bryan????????!!!!!
Please re-read the following sentence: "...the closest they came to pushing a Japanese star was the three weeks where they pushed the decidedly non-Japanese Lord Tensai."

KENTA's birth certificate and passport both say he's more like Tajiri, Taka Michinoku, Ultimo Dragon and Yoshi Tatsu than Punk, Danielson etc. It's not that hard to comprehend, is it?
-MP-

Post by -MP- »

I was just hoping you weren't accusing WWE of out-and-out racism but that seems to be the case.
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

If he was going to New Japan would he really need to leave Noah like this? Aren't both companies doing talent exchanges now?
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

I feel like if New Japan wanted KENTA they would've scooped him up along time ago during his prime