Austin Aries?

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
ADouble

Austin Aries?

Post by ADouble »

What's the deal with him currently? Bryan Alvarez says he's working an ippv this weekend, which is forbidden for TNA contracted workers. Is he done soon? Would love to see him back in ROH (Syd and Cornette are gone, so maybe his thoughts on the company are different in 2014).
DirtyDave

Re: Austin Aries?

Post by DirtyDave »

TNA's trying to get younger/cheaper guys so I would say Aries is in trouble if his contract is up soon. TNA's not in great shape right now clearly. Selfishly, I'd love to see Aries back in ROH. Sabin, Daniels, Kazarian etc I'd take too
"Money kept, is twice as good as money burned
And money won, is twice as sweet as money earned"
lariat_tubman

Post by lariat_tubman »

via wrestlinginc
It's said that Austin Aries hasn't been used much lately because he's in the company doghouse. He had a blow-up at the recent set of TV tapings and TNA pretty much iced him.
I read this a few places but who knows if it's true of not. It seems like whenever someone doesn't appear on tv for a little while they are 'in the doghouse'. And I think he'd be okay for a few matches but there isn't too much for him to do in ROH anymore.
DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

lariat_tubman wrote:via wrestlinginc

I read this a few places but who knows if it's true of not. It seems like whenever someone doesn't appear on tv for a little while they are 'in the doghouse'. And I think he'd be okay for a few matches but there isn't too much for him to do in ROH anymore.
how about have great matches with different wrestlers? that's something he could do in ROH
"Money kept, is twice as good as money burned
And money won, is twice as sweet as money earned"
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

As I keep saying every time, there's always something to do if you're creative.
Last Real Man Hype
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

WWE and TNA both seem to like three year contracts a lot, which would mean Aries' deal would be up this summer.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Nah. If ROH wouldn't give Davey a send-off, you think they'd bring back Aries, despite having so much history in ROH?

Nah.
lariat_tubman

Post by lariat_tubman »

DirtyDave wrote:
lariat_tubman wrote:via wrestlinginc

how about have great matches with different wrestlers? that's something he could do in ROH
I think he'd be good for a few shows (maybe like a Paul London-esque deal) cause definitely Aries vs. Elgin, Hero, Strong, Cole would all likely be great but I wouldn't bring him in as a full time roster member.

Also would Aries come back? He doesn't seem to have that much nostalgia for ROH and I don't think they would throw that much of a big money deal his way.
Last edited by lariat_tubman on Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

I think he's a dick, I wouldn't support his return and I wouldn't want him to have much success, but for great matches, sure, bring him back. Guy is still a dick though, who if he returned would probably want A+ treatment, which means always winning, never looking bad, etc.
lariat_tubman

Post by lariat_tubman »

The Dragon Saga wrote:I think he's a dick, I wouldn't support his return and I wouldn't want him to have much success, but for great matches, sure, bring him back. Guy is still a dick though, who if he returned would probably want A+ treatment, which means always winning, never looking bad, etc.
Is he a big enough draw to be a dick though, isn't that the question? If he puts asses in seats I think they'd look the other way about his attitude he seems to have sometimes (we seem to see this a lot in wrestling) but if he doesn't then they won't.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

What's the rationale for caring about how someone is backstage?

Also, Aries has always been willing to job, don't confuse him with Low Ki.
lariat_tubman

Post by lariat_tubman »

supersonic wrote:What's the rationale for caring about how someone is backstage?
From our fan perspective none, it doesn't matter what he is like (within reason of course).

From a company perspective a lot, why bring in a guy who is unpleasant to work with?
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

To give the customers the best television product possible. It's why Christian Bale gets opportunities despite his notorious reputation.
lariat_tubman

Post by lariat_tubman »

I guess I just think there are a lot of very good wrestlers out there without notorious reputations that ROH could bring in. And Aries probably isn't going to bring in a ton of new viewers to the tv show or more buys for PPVs so I would just bring in someone who is less difficult. This is all just my opinion of course.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

lariat_tubman wrote:
The Dragon Saga wrote:I think he's a dick, I wouldn't support his return and I wouldn't want him to have much success, but for great matches, sure, bring him back. Guy is still a dick though, who if he returned would probably want A+ treatment, which means always winning, never looking bad, etc.
Is he a big enough draw to be a dick though, isn't that the question? If he puts asses in seats I think they'd look the other way about his attitude he seems to have sometimes (we seem to see this a lot in wrestling) but if he doesn't then they won't.
Is he a draw though? Does he put peoples asses in the seats? I will say that his run as TNA World Champion and Roode previous to it were the best time periods for TNA in the last five years, he's entertaining and I'd never say people don't have a reason to like him, however I just think the guy is an overall dick.
Tars Tarkas

Post by Tars Tarkas »

Aries is one of the main reasons I got into ROH. I would LOVE to see him back having matches with the current roster. I tried to get into TNA when he joined because they did push him there, even making him champion, but watching TNA was such a dull slog that I gave up. I know he does not have much warmth towards ROH but it is a different regime and if he was available then I would love him to be pushed in ROH as a major player again. As Supersonic said, it's about giving the fans the best possible product. I don't really give a stuff what he's like backstage.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

The idea of only giving opportunities to "likeable" guys is what leads to atrocities such as Silent Rage winning Tough Enough.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

Aries is better than Steen, Elgin, Briscoes, Ciampa, Jacobs, Lethal, Strong, ACH and Hero.

Damn right id welcome him back! I don't care about their attitudes. ROH has never been the same once Aries left imo.
supersonic wrote:To give the customers the best television product possible. It's why Christian Bale gets opportunities despite his notorious reputation.
Aries destroys Bale as well!!!

But your point still stands.

get Aries back ASAP!!!
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

supersonic wrote:The idea of only giving opportunities to "likeable" guys is what leads to atrocities such as Silent Rage winning Tough Enough.
At least they quickly rectified that error and now hire (mostly) good talent.

Back to Aries, sure he should come back to ROH if TNA drops him and he wants to. Sure he made some disparaging remarks about ROH in the past but I'd hope the company wouldn't be that petty to keep him out just for that.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

I'd love Aries back. He's an absolutely amazing wrestler, complete tier one, very few can be put in the same bracket as him (Punk, Bryan, Cesaro, Tanahashi, Nakamura, Okada, Zayn, maybe Rollins and Steen...). However, while him having a supposed bad attitude doesn't effect my viewing pleasure much, it likely limits his opportunities to showcase his phenomenal talent.