Should I Sell My ROH Collection...

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
OnlyTheStrongSurvive

Should I Sell My ROH Collection...

Post by OnlyTheStrongSurvive »

New user to the forum, Long time reader.

I've been an ROH fan since there debut on HDnet, Over the years i managed to collect every single ROH show. Im proud of my collection spanning 12 years. But over the years i've less and less time to watch the old stuff while keeping up with the new stuff. Ive watched from 2002 to the start of 2006, And from the start of my fandom in 2009 till now.

My question is should i sell my collection and just buy the comps instead? I always said i could go back and watch it all again but am i really going to have the time to watch 12 years and growing worth of 3 - 4 hour dvds?
Italian Honor

Re: Should I Sell My ROH Collection...

Post by Italian Honor »

If you sell your collection i am really interested to buy two dvds

Unstoppable Forces
All Star Extravaganza 4
Tars Tarkas

Post by Tars Tarkas »

I think you would be making a huge huge mistake.

I know how difficult it is to amass such a collection. I have a complete set of shows from 2004 onwards and a number of shows from 2002 and 2003. I also have all the FIP shows, all PWG shows and all Shimmer shows. I doubt I will get the chance to watch ALL of them again but I would not even think about selling them. Once you do sell them you will never get them back and you may not regret that at the time, but you may well regret it years later. It might be that you later really want to go back and watch a run of shows from that time and you won't be able to.

I also think the amount of money you might gain would not exactly be life changing. It certainly would not even be close to the amount you have spent gaining the collection in the first place. You'd possibly spend it on stuff you don't really desperately need, and then the money would be gone along with your collection.

You have not even finished watching it all yet and you have two of the best years to go. 2007 is awesome with Morishima as champ, and the Briscoes on fire with their incredible wars with Steen and Generico. Following that you have Nigel's absolutely epic title run in 2008 that is must see.

Unless you are desperate for money and have no space then I would not do this. If you do sell then at least finish watching 2007 and 2008, and then if you must sell, then sell them as a COMPLETE collection and wait until you get the sort of price you are looking for. Do not break the collection up even slightly as it will immediately be far less desirable as a bits and pieces collection.

But don't sell it. Watch 2007 and 2008 and enjoy the fact your collection is complete. Many many people would be very envious of such a collection.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

I'm interested in the following for a decent price:

Hell Freezes Over
War of the Wire II
Fueling the Fire
Rise & Prove
Montana

Post by Montana »

I'm about in the same boat as you, huge Collection, no time to watch. I find it very awesome to have the complete collection, and there is probably less than 20 people with the complete collection, (my guess, i would have said 25 a few years ago) On one hand, i just haven't had time to even watch the newer stuff, but i still enjoy the product, and want to keep the collection complete. Another worry, would be that the collection goes digital, and the values go down, however i think with Punk/Daniel Bryan becoming legends in wrestling, these shows will hold their value pretty well.

So like the other poster said, if you need the money, sell it. If not, keep it. Just the other day, i pulled out MotorCity Madness 2007 (random show) to watch Bryan Danielson, compete with a dislocated retina / eye patch before Mania. There are so many classic moments like this, and not having a lot of the shows, there are a lot of gaps between the comps and the show. (The comps are great too, just lots not included)
Tars Tarkas

Post by Tars Tarkas »

Montana says it well, (more succinctly than me as well). Just re-read your original post and saw you had in fact only just STARTED watching 2006 (as well as not having watched 2007 and 2008). There were 42 dvds in 2006 with another 40 in both 2007 and 2008. This was ROH's most prolific time and while each year may have had some down spots, the shows were really great overall. To get rid of them without even watching them would not be a good idea. Montana is right as well about the comps. Watching them is great and the matches are well chosen. However it is not the same as watching the shows, and you would not begin to get the epic nature of the Danielson and McGuinness reigns by watching the comps. Plus you have the CZW war to look forward to and Kenta's terrific 2006 run.

If brutally honest you would almost do better to quit watching the current product than give up these earlier shows. I personally am really enjoying ROH lately and did through 2013 as well. But it is not quite as good at the moment as it was in the years 2006-2008, at least in my opinion. Just look at the match listing for some of the cards and you will see how stacked the roster was then. The more I think about it the more nuts I think you would be to sell.

So if I was you I would keep watching and enjoying the new shows in conjunction with the older shows. I did that and eventually caught up. If it takes 2 or 3 years to catch up then so what. It just means you have an amazing library of wrestling shows to watch. I still have over 100 PWG shows to watch and approx 40 Shimmer dvds. I am not in a tearing hurry to catch up with them, and am enjoying the fact I have so much great wrestling left to watch.
ROHdk

Post by ROHdk »

I definitely would not sell, unless you don't have the space for them, or really need the money.

I just checked my own collection. I have 186 ROH shows from 2002 to 2013. The only complete years I have, are 2011 and 2012. I am not selling those. It has taken too much time and money to purchase all these DVDs.
Ladrao12

Post by Ladrao12 »

I think if you must sell them, make digital copies on your computer of the show (for yourself, not distribution). That way you'll still have the shows, but can physically get rid of the discs. I have an insane amount of wrestling DVDs, that at one point, i'll probably have to sell, but I keep digitally.
guitarbhoy1888

Post by guitarbhoy1888 »

could you post some photos of this ?

would be pretty cool to see such a big ROH collection
GardenStateSaint

Post by GardenStateSaint »

Ladrao12 wrote:I think if you must sell them, make digital copies on your computer of the show (for yourself, not distribution). That way you'll still have the shows, but can physically get rid of the discs. I have an insane amount of wrestling DVDs, that at one point, i'll probably have to sell, but I keep digitally.
How big is the collection? Are we talking 4 digits?
Tomato cans don't stand a chance.
Tars Tarkas

Post by Tars Tarkas »

GardenStateSaint wrote:
Ladrao12 wrote:I think if you must sell them, make digital copies on your computer of the show (for yourself, not distribution). That way you'll still have the shows, but can physically get rid of the discs. I have an insane amount of wrestling DVDs, that at one point, i'll probably have to sell, but I keep digitally.
Will be in the 350 range assuming he has all the HDNet dvds. From what he said he does not have all the "Best of" anthologies. ROH is not even remotely close to 4 digits yet.
GardenStateSaint

Post by GardenStateSaint »

Tars Tarkas wrote:
GardenStateSaint wrote:
Will be in the 350 range assuming he has all the HDNet dvds. From what he said he does not have all the "Best of" anthologies. ROH is not even remotely close to 4 digits yet.
Whoops, I thought he meant his entire collection. "Insane amount" to me is 4 digits.
Tomato cans don't stand a chance.
OnlyTheStrongSurvive

guitarbhoy1888 wrote:could you post some photos of this ?

would be pretty cool to see such a big ROH collection
Ask and you shall receive.

Also have this:
Tars Tarkas wrote:
GardenStateSaint wrote:
Its exactly 350 with the Raising The Bar weekend, I have the HDnet collections but would be keeping them. This collection also includes Do Or Die II & III, Do Or Die IV and Uncensored Vol 1
McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

Don't sell them!!!!

A complete ROH collection should be treasured! So few people have the whole set these days, and even on the worse shows there is always something to go back and re-watch. I've never liked The Last Stand for instance, but just today popped the DVD in to watch the Shelley/Jacobs match from that show after Shelley's return was announce

I think you'd regret it once you spent the money!!! I know I would!! :) :)
OnlyTheStrongSurvive

McXal wrote:Don't sell them!!!!

A complete ROH collection should be treasured! So few people have the whole set these days, and even on the worse shows there is always something to go back and re-watch. I've never liked The Last Stand for instance, but just today popped the DVD in to watch the Shelley/Jacobs match from that show after Shelley's return was announce

See thats my reckoning, That match is on Shelleys best of!

I keep on swaying about what i want to do, A massive part of me wants to do this and just buy comps and streams from now on. For all i know they might upgrade the Ringside Membership to include all the old shows which would render my collection worthless to sell then. But there is a little part of me that wants to keep it and continue to buy newer DVDs, But like i've said. I'd have more time to watch a couple of matches here and there on a Best Of rather then watching a whole 3-4 hour show. I hate watching shows in separate sittings. I know i can keep up with the new shows as me and a mate go halves and always have 1 night a week where we meet up, Have a beer and enjoy current ROH. Apart from that 1 night i barely have the time. I will be sad to see it go, but maybe its for the best
Tars Tarkas

Post by Tars Tarkas »

OnlyTheStrongSurvive wrote:
McXal wrote:Don't sell them!!!!

See thats my reckoning, That match is on Shelleys best of!

I keep on swaying about what i want to do, A massive part of me wants to do this and just buy comps and streams from now on. For all i know they might upgrade the Ringside Membership to include all the old shows which would render my collection worthless to sell then. But there is a little part of me that wants to keep it and continue to buy newer DVDs, But like i've said. I'd have more time to watch a couple of matches here and there on a Best Of rather then watching a whole 3-4 hour show. I hate watching shows in separate sittings. I know i can keep up with the new shows as me and a mate go halves and always have 1 night a week where we meet up, Have a beer and enjoy current ROH. Apart from that 1 night i barely have the time. I will be sad to see it go, but maybe its for the best
As I said before, at least if you do sell them don't break up the set and sell as a complete collection.

But I wish you would listen to myself and McXal and not sell them. As I said, you have not even watched 2006-2008 yet and you are missing out on some awesome shows, and really, much as I still enjoy the current product, ROH was better then than it is now. To have bought all these rare shows and then not even to have watched them seems a great shame. You are really missing out.

I don't think these shows will lose their value either. Yes they might have all the old shows on ringside membership, but it's not the same as having them on dvd. If ROH goes out of business (not impossible) then these are all gone. If you have the shows on dvd then they are there forever, no matter what happens to ROH.

It sounds as if you have almost made up your mind anyway, but I think you are making a huge mistake. I got into ROH around the same time as you and got every show from Second Anniversary onwards, plus a number of shows from 2002 and 2003. The thing that stopped me completing the collection was that I was not that big a fan of the 2002-2003 shows and all my favourite wrestlers (Aries, Roddy, Steen, Nigel, Davey) joined later. I figured the hundreds I would spend on getting the last remaining shows from 2 years I did not like would be better spent on getting a complete PWG set and a complete FIP set, which I did. However I would still love to have a complete set from the beginning, and if I had it I would not dream of selling it. I certainly would not dream of selling the collection I have anyway.

You may not have time now but that could change. Once you lose them they are gone. I love the comps and have bought them all, but If you think that watching the comps compares to watching 2006-2008 in it's entirety then you are wrong.

You must do as you decide, but I really think you are thinking very short term. I am certain you will regret it.

At least watch the Milestone series and see if that changes your mind?
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

At least backup the shit before selling it like I've done. Trust me, there are VERY few eras for any federation that can compare to ROH during the Sapolsky era.

In 2006 alone, you have all of this good shit:
Danielson's reign
McGuinness's reign
Aries & Strong's reign
Briscoes return
Dragon Gate trios matches brought to the States
ROH vs. CZW - best feud in ROH history
Danielson vs. McGuinness - best rivalry in ROH history
Conclusion of Homicide vs. Cabana
Road to Homicide
KENTA's road to an ROH title shot
Jacobs vs. Whitmer
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Got to agree with what most people have said. A full set is an amazing thing, and you might well regret it later.
And especially don't start selling things from 2006, 2007 and 2008 if you haven't seen them yet! ROH from the Summer of Punk until Death before Dishonor VI is about the best three years I have ever seen a promotion have, especially from a creative/booking POV.
OnlyTheStrongSurvive

After giving this much thought i've decided against selling my collection, It's too much to just let go. I'm sure as hell going to make time to get though what i have left to watch then hopefully use supersonic's good shit guide to rewatch again :)
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

OnlyTheStrongSurvive wrote:After giving this much thought i've decided against selling my collection, It's too much to just let go. I'm sure as hell going to make time to get though what i have left to watch then hopefully use supersonic's good shit guide to rewatch again :)
I've just several more Kobashi matches and then I get back on that good shit rewatch. As stated in my ROH thread, I've made sure to put in the work to understand Joe vs. Kobashi and look forward to getting back on that rewatch.