ROH Best In The World 2014 Card

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
TYFDK

Re: ROH Best In The World 2014 Card

Post by TYFDK »

Bad Influence being confirmed will hopefully mean some people who were on the fence will buy this.

Adding Sabin wouldn't hurt.

In the same boat as those who don't want another Ringmaster's Challenge.

But playing devil's advocate here, I want to know if anyone thinks ROH should come up with a newer wrestling-based gimmick match that these two could be in?

I'd suggest Hybrid Rules (Cole/O'Reilly at BITW '12) but that doesn't really suit either.

If we were going to have a match that would suit one of the two guys, then they could play up Roddy's frat-like demeanor and have a beer pong match.
LigerSword

Post by LigerSword »

Roddy/Cedric under Pure rules would be perfect in my opinion.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

So obviously Cole vs. Elgin is confirmed. We'll also probably get reDRagon vs. Bad Influence, Kevin Steen vs. Silas Young, and Roderick Strong vs. Cedric Alexander (probably with some kind of stipulation). I'd imagine those four would be the top matches on the show.

Two other possibilities could be The Briscoes vs. Matt Hardy & Michael Bennett and War Machine vs. The Decade. Throw in a World TV Title Match and that's seven matches.
WrestlingMatters

Post by WrestlingMatters »

Jay Lethal vs. Chris Sabin for the TV Title would be pretty awesome.
AssShooter

Post by AssShooter »

Someday, maybe, we could have Roderick Strong vs Paul London and the Marufuji match (yeah, i know it was a long time ago) .. Or they will do like the Tommaso Ciampa european title defenses we never seen on TV...
ImageImage
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

ROH World Heavyweight Championship
Adam Cole vs Michael Elgin

ROH World Tag Team Championship
reDRagon vs Bad Influence

ROH World TV Champion
Jay Lethal vs Matt Taven

Silas Young vs Kevin Steen

Roderick Strong vs Cedric Alexander (Cage match or Pure Rules)

Matt Hardy & Michael Bennett vs The Briscoes or Jay Briscoe vs Matt Hardy for the Iconic Title

Tommaso Ciampa vs Chris Sabin

And then i think they could do some Pre-Show like they did on the NJPW-ROH shows and have:

ACH vs TD Thomas

War Machine vs The Decade
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

I doubt War Machine vs. Decade would go on the pre show, but other than that the card looks very solid.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

AssShooter wrote:Someday, maybe, we could have Roderick Strong vs Paul London and the Marufuji match (yeah, i know it was a long time ago) .. Or they will do like the Tommaso Ciampa european title defenses we never seen on TV...
ROH released the European matches on a bonus disc with the 12th Anniversary Show. I knew those were never going to make TV. ROH has recorded a lot of stuff for TV, like a lot.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

The Dragon Saga wrote:
AssShooter wrote:Someday, maybe, we could have Roderick Strong vs Paul London and the Marufuji match (yeah, i know it was a long time ago) .. Or they will do like the Tommaso Ciampa european title defenses we never seen on TV...
ROH released the European matches on a bonus disc with the 12th Anniversary Show. I knew those were never going to make TV. ROH has recorded a lot of stuff for TV, like a lot.
Excerpts from those matches were shown on TV a few weeks ago.

I think Roderick Strong vs Cedric Alexander in a Ringmaster's Challenge or a 2/3 falls would not be a good fit for PPV, but would be a perfect match to put on one of the Illinois shows on 6/6 or 6/7.
Ladrao12

Post by Ladrao12 »

Card prediction:

ROH World Title:
Adam Cole vs. Michael Elgin (confirmed)

ROH Tag Team Title:
reDRagon vs. Bad Influence

ROH TV Title:
Jay Lethal vs. ACH

No DQ match (or some type of stipulation)
Roderick Strong vs. Cedric Alexander

Kevin Steen vs. Silas Young

The Decade vs. War Machine

Bennett/Hardy vs. Briscoes

After this, i'm not sure. There are some talent that is normally booked, that I would think is definitely booked for this show: Tommasso Ciampa, Matt Taven, Adam Page, TD Thomas. And there's talent working elsewhere who may/may not be booked: AJ Styles, Young Bucks, Chris Hero. So i'm not 100% sure who will/won't be there. The assumption can be made that Styles/Young Bucks probably won't be there.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

Lethal vs ACH would be great, problem is ACH doesn´t have enough singles win to have a title match yet, i think he will have one during the summer.
Ladrao12

Post by Ladrao12 »

187_Joeism wrote:Lethal vs ACH would be great, problem is ACH doesn´t have enough singles win to have a title match yet, i think he will have one during the summer.
That is true, but, because I don't see them booking another Lethal vs. Ciampa or vs. Taven match, it's slim pickings as to who gets the next title shot. I love the Lethal vs. Ciampa matches, they're always great. There have just been too many over the last 6 months and I cannot see them booking this again. I'm thinking that because ACH was part of the winning team on Saturday in the 6 man tag, they could use that as "momentum". If Hero is available for this show, i'd love to see Lethal vs. Hero, just cause.
NaddaLot01

Post by NaddaLot01 »

They'll probably do BI/Briscoes.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

Down the line i think for sure, but at BITW i don´t see them doing it. Briscoes and Hardy/Bennett have a feud going, if they do BI/Briscoes what do you do with reDRagon, Matt Hardy and Michael Bennett?
Ladrao12

Post by Ladrao12 »

Well, they've got 2 shows before BITW, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a #1 contenders match or proving ground match added to either for the TV title situation.
NaddaLot01

Post by NaddaLot01 »

187_Joeism wrote:Down the line i think for sure, but at BITW i don´t see them doing it. Briscoes and Hardy/Bennett have a feud going, if they do BI/Briscoes what do you do with reDRagon, Matt Hardy and Michael Bennett?
They aren't going to do RD/BI right out of the gate. Briscoes is a perfect introduction match.

They'll likely run with RD/Hanson + Rowe which they essentially set up in NOLA.

Plans change, but I really don't see why it would be necessary to blow through that match first.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

For their first live PPV they need to stack the deck high. reDRagon got more noteriety off War of the Worlds than either O'Reilly or Fish has had before at any stage of their careers. It's not like It'd be hard to book, reDRagon attack Bad Influence in a promo because BI say they are the, "best in the biz-a-ness", say coffee is better than Appletini's, insult comic books or something, Daniels responds by saying if they're the best, why don't they prove it, then we get a match at BITW between reDRagon and BI, whether the titles are on the line or not, no difference, it's still the biggest money match they can do.

If not that, have Jacobs verbally attack Daniels for coming back, do Jacobs & Whitmer vs. BI at BITW, have reDRagon defend against Hanson & Rowe. Either way, for ROH the company, while War of the Worlds was important and all as an event that had to deliver in-terms of quality, BITW has to be an event that has to deliver on paper so people will buy it. The best tag team match they could do for that PPV is Bad Influence vs. reDRagon.
NaddaLot01

Post by NaddaLot01 »

I personally have no interest in BI/Briscoes, but you don't see that as a big match, or "stack (ing) the deck high"? Especially from ROH's point of view?
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

Burnside wrote:
The Dragon Saga wrote:
Excerpts from those matches were shown on TV a few weeks ago.

I think Roderick Strong vs Cedric Alexander in a Ringmaster's Challenge or a 2/3 falls would not be a good fit for PPV, but would be a perfect match to put on one of the Illinois shows on 6/6 or 6/7.
When was that?
I was in the front line when we battled page 15