Official Global Wars/War of the Worlds Super Thread!!

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
DXvsNWO1994

Official Global Wars/War of the Worlds Super Thread!!

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Since the shows are only a week apart, I thought it would easier to have both shows under one Super-Thread.

Ring of Honor comes together with New Japan Pro Wrestling to put on two massive SuperShows in Toronto & New York City!! Here are the cards thus far along with other announced talent:

ROH/NJPW Global Wars
Toronto, Ontario, Canada 5/10/14

- ROH World Title - Adam Cole vs. Kevin Steen
- Hiroshi Tanahashi & Jushin "Thunder" Liger vs. CHAOS (IWGP Intercontinental Champion Shinsuke Nakamura & Jado)
- Bullet Club (IWGP Heavyweight Champion "The Phenomenal" AJ Styles & "Machine Gun" Karl Anderson) vs. CHAOS ("Rainmaker" Kazuchika Okada & Gedo)
- "Unbreakable" Michael Elgin vs. Takaaki Watanabe
- IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Titles - Three-Way Tag Team Match - The Young Bucks vs. The Time Splitters vs. The Forever Hooligans
- ROH World TV Title - Four-Corner Survival - Jay Lethal (with Truth Martini) vs. "Sicilian Psychopath" Tommaso Ciampa vs. Matt Taven vs. Silas Young
- Roderick Strong vs. Cedric Alexander
- Three Way Tag Team Match - reDRagon vs. The Briscoes vs. The Decade (Jimmy Jacobs & BJ Whitmer with TaDarius Thomas)
- Michael Bennett (with Maria Kanellis) vs. ACH

Also signed to appear:

Ring of Honor

- "The Barrister" RD Evans

ROH/NJPW War of the Worlds
New York City, New York 5/17/14

- IWGP Heavyweight Title - "The Phenomenal" AJ Styles vs. "Unbreakable" Michael Elgin
- ROH World Title - Adam Cole vs. Jushin "Thunder" Liger
- ROH World Tag Team Titles - The Young Bucks vs. reDRagon
- IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Titles - The Bullet Club ("Machine Gun" Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows) vs. The Briscoes
- ROH World TV Title - Jay Lethal (with Truth Martini) vs. KUSHIDA
- Kevin Steen vs. Shinsuke Nakamura
- Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Michael Bennett (with Maria Kanellis)
- "Rainmaker" Kazuchika Okada vs. Cedric Alexander
- The Decade (Roderick Strong & BJ Whitmer with Jimmy Jacobs & Adam Page) vs. Gedo & Jado
- Six-Man Tag - ACH, Matt Taven & "Sicilian Psychopath" Tommaso Ciampa vs. The Forever Hooligans & Takaaki Watanabe
- Silas Young vs. Caprice Coleman

Keep all discussions here...
Last edited by DXvsNWO1994 on Thu May 15, 2014 3:04 pm, edited 9 times in total.
JigsawVs.Jason

Re: Official Global Wars/War of the Worlds Super Thread!!

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

War of the Worlds could be the biggest show in ROH history, if they add Cole/Tanahashi and Steen/Nakamura this show will have no problmes picking up show of the year awards. So fucking stoked for Elgin/Okada, this could be one of the best matches of the year.
Also really excited for Bucks/reDRagon II, since I assume both Bucks will be 100% for this show, in contrast to their Raise the Bar contest.
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
fm20000

Post by fm20000 »

Does AJ count as ROH anymore now that he is REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL?
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

I assume he'll represent NJPW, since that would mean they can put more ROH talents on the show (assuming they are going for a versus show with the NYC show)
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Well the event pages for both shows on the ROH Website has AJ Styles listed as a Ring of Honor Talent, so that's why I listed him as such.
isles11

Post by isles11 »

Sitting front row for War Of The Worlds. Can't wait.
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:Well the event pages for both shows on the ROH Website has AJ Styles listed as a Ring of Honor Talent, so that's why I listed him as such.
I figure that might be changed, since it wasn't known Styles would sign a contract for NJPW, when they announced him for the show.
Ladrao12

Post by Ladrao12 »

The NYC show sounds killer already. Okada/Elgin, Young Bucks/reDRagon....I mean...how many potential match of the year matches are we going to get on one show? Cole/Tanahashi has got to happen at NYC, and seems likely. So many possibilities, it doesn't even matter. I'll just let them book it.
DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

fm20000 wrote:Does AJ count as ROH anymore now that he is REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL?
lol ya not sure what side he qualifies for now
"Money kept, is twice as good as money burned
And money won, is twice as sweet as money earned"
DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

isles11 wrote:Sitting front row for War Of The Worlds. Can't wait.
beauty. i have front row in Toronto
Mr. Orange

Post by Mr. Orange »

NJPW announced Styles vs Okada for the title on 5/3. I'm going to be really pissed if Styles wins and I don't see Elgin vs. Okada live. I really hope it doesn't happen.
AssShooter

Post by AssShooter »

I'm almost sure he will not win, what's the point of 3 Elgin vs Styles in 3 monthes in a row ? No, i think Elgin vs Okada is more or less already scheduled.
AJ should represent ROH, there is already a lot of NJPW wrestlers, except if the iPPVs last 4 hours or if they don't mind to book numerous matches with multiple opponents.
ImageImage
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

I don't think they'd have AJ Styles come in and win their main title a month after making his debut. I really hope he doesn't win. I'll be in NYC, I want to see Elgin/Okada!!!!
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

AssShooter wrote:I'm almost sure he will not win, what's the point of 3 Elgin vs Styles in 3 monthes in a row ?
Eh, well considering their first match was pretty over with just about everybody and most are excited for their second match, a third match with a title on the line would obviously be a pretty big deal. I would prefer Elgin/Okada but if Styles takes the title and it's Elgin/Styles III, I'll take it.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

I just want to see some ROH vs. New Japan Matches. It's nice to see New Japan guys in ROH, don't get me wrong, but if they're not facing ROH guys in inter-promotional matches then what's the point? I can see New Japan guys fight each other all the time on New Japan iPPVs...
ROHFan25

Post by ROHFan25 »

AJ is not beating Okada. Okada/Elgin is a $ match for most fans, and this is pretty much their only opportunity to do it in the US. Okada isn't losing the belt at fucking Wrestling Dontaku. He still hasn't even wrestled Shibata or Nakamura for the belt yet.

No way AJ debuts and beats their Champ right away. That's not how NJPW books.
DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

wouldn't surprise me if AJ beat Okada at all... Okada could have matches with nakamura, shibata, tanahashi etc next reign.

AJ's signed a contract so it doesn't make sense to me he'd lose to Okada. if he was going to lose to Okada i think they would have given AJ a couple wins first to build him up. but to kill his momentum right after his arrival wouldn't make sense AJ would have a long list babyfaces he could have matches with-- Tanahashi, nakamura, Okada, shibata, naito, ibushi .. god long list of great challenegrs he could have
Last edited by DirtyDave on Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

ROHFan25 wrote:AJ is not beating Okada. Okada/Elgin is a $ match for most fans, and this is pretty much their only opportunity to do it in the US. Okada isn't losing the belt at fucking Wrestling Dontaku. He still hasn't even wrestled Shibata or Nakamura for the belt yet.

No way AJ debuts and beats their Champ right away. That's not how NJPW books.
So I take it that Wrestling Dontaku is not a major show on the New Japan Calendar?

Also, doesn't Bad Luck Fale (another Bullet Club member) have an upcoming title shot at some point?
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

If we ended up getting Styles/Elgin instead of Okada/Elgin I would feel a bit ripped off.
If AJ was winning the IWGP Heavyweight Title, you'd almost thing they would have had Steen win at SCoH. That way we could still get Elgin vs NJPW guy (since that's what everyone wants, including Elgin) and would end up with Styles/Steen which hasn't happened in ROH yet.
ROHFan25

Post by ROHFan25 »

Dontaku isn't really a big show, no. Last years was the worst PPV of the year for NJPW. Okada's had the belt for a long long time. He's not losing it at a B PPV, especially with Fale having a title shot coming.

Like the above poster said, Elgin/Okada is a money match. AJ/Elgin has already happened twice. Well it's going to. They aren't going to have them wrestle 3 times in 3 months. It's dumb. Not only that, you'd have a "ROH" representative holding the belt at the show. Doesn't make sense.