Official Global Wars/War of the Worlds Super Thread!!

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
ROHFan25

Re: Official Global Wars/War of the Worlds Super Thread!!

Post by ROHFan25 »

Totally understand where you're coming from. I think the only thing that we can say negatively about him is he isn't having standout matches, although the Steen match was great IMO.

Also supersonic I may be overrating Tanahashi/Bennett a bit. Maria added a ton to the match IMO and the finish sequence was great.
MattMinus

Post by MattMinus »

ROHFan25 wrote:
The crowd live was great for pretty much everything, thought there were weak spots crowd-wise in the beginning of the Lethal/KUSHIDA match and the main event (burn out)
My buddies and I noticed the same thing, there was too much back to back hotness on this show. It would have benefited from a couple divas, midget, or rd Evans matches to give the crowd a chance to cool down.
ROHFan25

Post by ROHFan25 »

I was hoping for a Streak match. It was tough going from Tanahashi to Bucks to Liger to Main Event without getting burnt out. I'd rather have shows like that though because the shows come off way way better.

Fuck divas, and fuck midgets. Unless Mandy Leon is working.
RacingBoy

Post by RacingBoy »

Ok card but not as good as people are saying
ROHFan25

Post by ROHFan25 »

And people said I'm too hard on shows ^^^

Bar none, it's the best ROH show that has happened in the past 4 years. Seriously, if you didn't think that show was at least very good...you just will never be pleased.

I'd love to hear your complaints about the show Racing Boy. We got 4 ****+ matches. No filler. Nothing was bad. So many fun angles, booking was perfect, great storyline progression. About as perfect as it could have been.
stay gold

Post by stay gold »

I had a blast. Wished some of the matches were longer but this was pretty solid top to bottom. I've liked Okada for a few years now but he really gave off a "star" aura during that main event, that never truly hit me before until tonight. Am I just being a biased NJPW fan? He just carried himself like he was the biggest deal. So much presence. It was great. The place exploded when he hit the Rainmaker. Amazing.

Anybody else totally buy the false finish during KUSHIDA/Jay Lethal when Truth pulled Jay after the 2 count? I honestly thought it was a 3 count until realizing what had really happened. I've never been fooled by a false finish like that until tonight. Incredible.

Missed out on the NJPW tees unfortunately but I picked up a couple of card packs. Got Nakamura and Kojima in one pack. But I also got TWO Bad Luck Fale's in the other pack. Haha lame.

Mandy Leon is super attractive. I want to see more of her. Wonder who's call it was to have her do those media appearances. It was the right call.

Can't wait to watch a replay of this. I was distracted a couple of times by some drunkard who kept coming to the front of the balcony to stand right next to me and he'd cheer AND boo everyone. I definitely have to go back and watch the whole show, but after much thought, this HAS to be the most memorable Ring of Honor show I've been to.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

Great show, very good execution, great wrestling, some good moments, good set-ups for Best In The World and most of all, great surprise at the end with the Bad Influence vignette. RacingBoy hates life so his opinion is invalid, this was a great show from top to bottom, there were a couple negatives but the positives far outweigh them and that's what matters.

Doubt they'll ever see this, but thank you ROH for the last couple of weeks and for reminding me why I love to support this company. Hyped for Best In The World.
ROHFan25

Post by ROHFan25 »

This doesn't happen often, but couldn't agree more ^^^

That show to me put ROH on the map for a lot of people. The buzz on Twitter was outstanding. I saw Tweets from Busted Open Radio, Jim Ross, Mauro Ranallo, a ton of high level podcast guys, etc putting the show over. That might not seem like much, but ROH is getting out there to a lot more people right now and they've earned it.

ROH needed to deliver and they knocked it out of the park. The show was absolutely fantastic, and you can tell the NJPW guys loved it. Working in NYC was obviously a big deal to them, and Tanahashi's promo after the show was just fantastic.

I had a lot of concerns with the way they would book some matches, the time constraints, etc. I can gladly admit when I'm wrong. Everything was perfect. In Delirious We Trust.

Thank you ROH.
ROHFan25

Post by ROHFan25 »

stay gold wrote:I had a blast. Wished some of the matches were longer but this was pretty solid top to bottom. I've liked Okada for a few years now but he really gave off a "star" aura during that main event, that never truly hit me before until tonight. Am I just being a biased NJPW fan? He just carried himself like he was the biggest deal. So much presence. It was great. The place exploded when he hit the Rainmaker. Amazing.

Anybody else totally buy the false finish during KUSHIDA/Jay Lethal when Truth pulled Jay after the 2 count? I honestly thought it was a 3 count until realizing what had really happened. I've never been fooled by a false finish like that until tonight. Incredible.

Missed out on the NJPW tees unfortunately but I picked up a couple of card packs. Got Nakamura and Kojima in one pack. But I also got TWO Bad Luck Fale's in the other pack. Haha lame.

Mandy Leon is super attractive. I want to see more of her. Wonder who's call it was to have her do those media appearances. It was the right call.
First, the booking to Lethal/KUSHIDA was about as perfect as it gets. The opening sequence was beautiful. Great high spots in perfect places. Finish was innovative. Really an amazing match. Upset that I've seen some ***1/4 ratings because that match was **** IMO. And I'm very hard to be pleased.

I think definitely the next time NJPW comes over they need to bring more merch over. They sold out really quick. I also picked up a Card Pack and got some cool cards. And yeah, Mandy Leon is ridiculously good looking, and from what I've seen she's a very solid worker for somebody who just graduated from the dojo.
GardenStateSaint

Post by GardenStateSaint »

RacingBoy wrote:Ok card but not as good as people are saying
This is a man with standards. :lol:
Tomato cans don't stand a chance.
HarpoonIPA
Donator
Donator

Post by HarpoonIPA »

ROHFanAnthony wrote:IMO the ROH tag title match was the best match.
I was think the same thing, great match
ハープーンIPA
ニューイングランド·ペイトリオッツのファン
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Quick thoughts on the show:

- The line got really long to get in. Glad I got in line when I did. They said doors opened at 5:30 but they didn't actually open until closer to 6:00. At one point Mark Briscoe climbed to the top of the Manhattan Center sign.

- Even though they weren't being sold at the show, I saw A TON of people wearing Bullet Club T-Shirts.

- Nigel McGuinness was selling signed copies of his documentary at the merchandise table.

- Personally, I picked up Flyin' High, the new Jimmy Jacobs/BJ Whitmer compilation DVD, a War of the Worlds Poster & Event T-Shirt, the official program and the New Japan Logo/American Flag T-Shirt.

- Mandy Leon was also at the merchandise table. She is SUPER ATTRACTIVE!!! Like you don't know how beautiful she is until you see her in person.

- The ROH Show is Brooklyn, New York at that Baseball Stadium is actually August 15th, not August 16th (Yes, ROH had a type on their own flyer). From what I understand, it's the same place that TNA used for their Basebrawl Shows, so I think ROH taking TNA's spot here says a lot. Does anyone know how well those shows did attendance wise? Curious to see what kind of numbers ROH will need to draw for it to be a success. I've heard people say that they should bring in New Japan guys for this show though that's not certain (though I think the G1 Climax should be over by then).

- I heard some people talking about the crowd noise compared to Toronto. I was in the Lower Balcony and from what I can tell all of the balconies were SUPER Loud, but the floor was not as much, comparatively speaking. Will have to see how it translates on the iPPV when I go back & watch it.

- First Half: The segment with Bullet Club was great. The "Fuck TNA" Chants were very appropriate, especially since four out of the five guys (expect Karl Anderson) were wronged by TNA at one point or another. The opener was a lot of fun. The Decade vs. Jado & Gedo was fine. About as good of a Jado & Gedo match that you're going to get, honestly. Lethal/KUSHIDA was pretty great. Really enjoyed watching KUSHIDA wrestle. Bullet Club/Briscoes was a lot of fun as well. I think we'll be getting a rematch down the line (either in ROH or New Japan). I LOVED Nakamura vs. Steen. They worked really well together and produced an awesome match. Lots of dueling "Nakamura"/"Kill Steen Kill" Chants. Steen kicking out of the Boma Ye at 1 was amazing. The after match stuff with Silas was pretty interesting. Seems like Kevin Steen vs. Silas Young is a lock for Best in the World which should be a great chance to elevate Silas.

- Second Half: The controversial Tanahashi/Bennett match brought us back from intermission. It was pretty enjoyable. Not the best match on the show, but certainly entertaining. Tanahashi was just awesome. Then we had Young Bucks/reDRagon. This was AMAZING live!!!!! Cannot say enough good things about this match. Tops their Raising The Bar Match and is without a shadow of a doubt my Ring of Honor MOTY right now. "Filthy" Tom Lawlor was great in here as well. ROH should bring him in any chance they can get (and I guess when UFC allows it). Lawlor looked very comfortable in his role and was a perfect fit for reDRagon. Cole vs. Liger was a fine match. Again, wasn't a show stealer by any means, but still a very good match. The crowd was really over for Liger and showed him a lot of respect. Then we have the main event, which was indeed a triple threat. Not MOTN, but certainly up there. Great stuff in this match. When Okada finally hit The Rainmaker, the crowd popped big time. Not sure if this made the iPPV, but after Cole attacked, Liger & Tanahashi came out for the save. Tanahashi thanked the New York crowd and said that New Japan would be back, which is awesome to hear.

- They didn't air the Bad Influence Promo in the building, but I watched it briefly when I got home. It looked awesome. I assumed that they censored Kazarian since his TNA Contract hasn't officially expired yet.

- Overall, I thought it was an AWESOME Show!! Just an amazing live experience that I will never forget!!
lariat_tubman

Post by lariat_tubman »

I'm in a facebook group about wrestling and a lot of people are saying this show was 'just okay'. What is wrong with them??
ROHFan25

Post by ROHFan25 »

People will always find something to complain about, and most of them are probably annoying WWE trolls.

If you went into that show not knowing NJPW wrestlers, the matches might not seem as great because you don't know the signature spots/finishers, etc. Anyone who thinks this show was "okay" needs to get their fucking head examined.
GardenStateSaint

Post by GardenStateSaint »

Burnside wrote:
Mike0284 wrote:Image
This poster is great and this retro design is 100% better than their usual terrible graphics.
So whats the deal with this poster? I didn't see it at the show last night.
Tomato cans don't stand a chance.
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

GardenStateSaint wrote:
Burnside wrote:
Mike0284 wrote:Image
This poster is great and this retro design is 100% better than their usual terrible graphics.
So whats the deal with this poster? I didn't see it at the show last night.
Was just made for fun and with that old school look.

Overall thought the show was awesome to watch.
If you're having any issues with the forum tweet at me Twitter.com/ROH_World
or Fb.com/ROHworld
isles11

Post by isles11 »

ROHFan25 wrote:People will always find something to complain about, and most of them are probably annoying WWE trolls.

If you went into that show not knowing NJPW wrestlers, the matches might not seem as great because you don't know the signature spots/finishers, etc. Anyone who thinks this show was "okay" needs to get their fucking head examined.
I'm someone who didn't know many NJPW guys, but I still loved the show. And I now am fans of quite a few of them.

Also fun fact about the IWGP Heavyweight Championship, it still has Okada's nameplate on it.
McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

My thoughts watching on live ippv:

It was decent, but best ROH show for years? Best ROH show ever? I'm not sure it would even crack my top 20. However - it seems that a lot of the more riotously positive reviews are coming from people who attended live - and that's awesome. It's great they thought it was a killer live experience

I actually thought Global Wars was a more consistent show than last night - which had the better matches of the NJPW crossover shows, but also some of the more inferior ones

For me MOTN was the main event. Absolutely loved it, although it felt like it ended just when it was ready to kick into top gear. AJ and Okada were in tremendous form

I actually preferred the reDRagon/Bucks Raising The Bar match. In particular the Lawlor skits really aggrivated me.

Loved the finish to Cole/Liger so much. A few people seem to be down on Cole as champ now, but yeah - tapping out Liger, a forthcoming clash with Elgin (please don't put the belt on Elgin - the time to do that came and went some time ago) and finishing the show beating up AJ and Okada. Great way to step his title reign up a notch

I'm not going to say Bennett/Tanahashi bettered my expectations. Those who follow my review series know that I actually quite like Bennett, and considering I didn't think Tanahashi would be in anything more than house show mode their encounter was as solid as I expected, with a really strong finish.

I don't think Steen/Nakamura or Lethal/Kushida were as good as some of the crazy high ratings I've seen on here either. They were decent, exciting matches (Kushida's performance was outstanding) but nothing particularly memorable or powerful. If I'm honest, I liked the Steen/Silas segment and potential feud as much as the preceding match

Thought the opening 6-man and Jado/Gedo tag were bang average, and in the end a waste of ppv time that id rather have seen scrapped to let Steen/Nakamura, Bucks/reDRagon and AJ/Elgin/Okada have more time.

As I said in the chat session we had going last night - I liked how they worked The Bullet Club's heel gimmick into the show without actively trying to make ROH fans boo AJ Styles (which I don't think would've worked).

I'll wait for the DVD and my review to make a final judgment - but yeah, those were my thoughts watching the show live on ppv. I liked it, but I really didn't come away thinking 'best show ever', or that ROH had really nailed a home run. Not a bad show at all, and I really enjoyed bits of it. But I feel like some of the praise is OTT.

Just thought I would contribute an alternate opinion...
MayorOfChanTown

Post by MayorOfChanTown »

isles11 wrote:I'm someone who didn't know many NJPW guys, but I still loved the show. And I now am fans of quite a few of them.

Also fun fact about the IWGP Heavyweight Championship, it still has Okada's nameplate on it.
Hi isles11,

If you'd like to learn about more about NJPW and their guys please take a look at my blog linked below. I recently re-discovered New Japan late last year and have been watching as much as I can in recent months. My first exposure to them way back was in WCW in the 1990s when Liger and others were regulars there.

It's been great for me learning about their current stars and really exciting to see their fantastic wrestling. When I found out New Japan was putting on a joint show with ROH here in Toronto it was like a dream come true to get a chance to see the New Japan guys live.

In the leadup to Global Wars I put together a few blogs that intro NJPW, current stars, and previews of the Toronto matchups. Mostly it was for myself because I wanted to learn about the guys before I saw them. I'm glad I did because I think it really helped me appreciate them more. Also I wrote these in the hopes I could get my WWE-watching friends interested as well.

I don't think there's anything too new in my blog for those of you already familiar with NJPW. But there are some connections I've drawn between NJPW and past names and events in WWE, ECW, that may make for a fun trip down memory lane. For example: Brock Lesnar as IWGP Heavyweight Champion, Lesnar vs Nakamura, Liger vs Owen Hart,
Gedo/Jado in ECW...

Here's the first entry and you can make your way forward from there:
http://mayorofchantown.wordpress.com/20 ... -tokyo-tv/
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

For me the show was a blast, best show i have seen live (I was at every Final Battle from 2003 to 2012 and a few shows here and there.)

I will post a long review later but i think the show was top to bottom good, with many special matches/moments. MOTN was Young Bucks vs reDRagon and Steen vs Nakamura (I was so happy with how they made Silas legit last night).